BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-11-2011, 12:36 AM   #1
///BYU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Advice for Winter Wheels that May Also See Track Duty?

I'm still trying to decide what I want to do about my winter tire setup. There's a decent chance I'll want to use whatever 18" winter wheels I get for occasional track duty during the summer.

Here are my questions:

1. What are your thoughts on using the stock 19" wheels vs. 18" wheels for occasional track days and autocross? This would be just for fun and to improve my car control / driving abilities - I'm not out to set any records. If the stock wheels are the way to go, then I won't need to consider possible track duty for my winter wheels and can focus only on getting the optimal wheels for winter.

2. What are your thoughts on a square vs. staggered setup (a) for the winter and (b) on the track? Our winters last 5 months here in the upper Midwest. I don't plan to drive the 1M in snow or ice if I can help it, but I do intend to drive in the dry / freezing cold and I also want to be safe just in case I get caught out in a storm.

I know this is a huge topic. I've searched around and (summarizing greatly here) it seems like people say the benefits of a square setup are that (a) you can rotate the tires and (b) you'll experience less understeer (my 1M is on a ship in the middle of the Atlantic, but it doesn't seem like understeer will be a problem). However, the stock 1M setup is staggered and I want to stay true to whatever was engineered into the design of the 1M. Not sure if square vs. staggered will come into play here. Thoughts?

3. If I decide 18" wheels are a better option for occasional track days / autocross and I decide I want a square setup, then should I get 8.5" or 9.5" wide wheels? As you all know, the stock 19" wheels have a width of 9" (front) and 10" (rear). It seems like 8.5" would be better for winter since I won't be running wide tires, but 9.5" would allow me run wider tires for those occasional track days...

Decisions, decisions... Thanks for your help!
Appreciate 0