Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Conti Pro Contact RFTs - My Experience

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

11-06-2011, 07:35 PM   #1
GREAT328XI
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 328XI

Conti Pro Contact RFTs - My Experience

This is my take on the Continetial Pro Contact RFTs after 46,900 miles (4 years, 5 months). I ordered my E90 - 328XI in March 2007, and took delivery in June 2007. The Conti's were fine, never gave them a thought much through 30K miles. Kept an on the E90/92 Tire Forum, reading all be bad things some had early on. Noise, poor tread life. I don't run my coupe hard. Just to work and vacation road trips. I agree things get noisy after 30K miles on rough pavement. Last winter was the first year I really drove the car in snow here in Ohio. The tires did just fine in 3 to 6 inches of snow. The X drive did great and reminded my of my Explorer in snow. As you can see in the photo, this is what the tread looks like at 46K miles. Friends say I've done well and I'd have to agree. The car gets new Yokohama Avids tomorrow. Have them on our other car and they are quiet and do very well in snow. I went away from Contis RFTs mostly because they can't be had now... unless you go to the BMW dealer. So, I decided not to risk being stranded hundreds of miles from home waiting on a new tire to be shipped in. Have the BAVAUTO spare and jack going into the trunk as the back up.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 07:47 PM   #2
conceptbass03
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Great, I just posted right after you about the Conti Pro Contact SSR, which is readily available on tirerack. Did you consider these tires in your selection or not?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 07:55 PM   #3
GREAT328XI
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 328XI

Yes I did look at Tire Rack. bought tires from them years ago. In the last 2 weeks of looking around, the Conti's were out of stock for my size and not due in till 12/31. So I called a tire dealer that I buy from for my other cars and he got the same date on his computer from Continental. The biggest motivating factor for me to go away from RFTs is the problem(s) you could have if you hit a pot hole and ruin the tire. And if you're far from home in some little town, I didn't want to be stranded waiting for delivery of a specialized tire. My other car is a Saab with the Yokahama Avid Envigors and they did well in snow last year. So I'm putting them on the coupe Monday.
Appreciate 0