F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Auto Start/Stop
Extreme Powerhouse

10-31-2011, 12:23 PM   #1
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Auto Start/Stop

Has anyone driven a car with Auto start/stop technology. It seems to me like it would be irritating but I have read positive reviews about other models that have it. Just wondering if someone had first hand experience.

Also, love the F30 but those silly side badges that say sport, modern and luxury are horrible. Hopefully they are removable.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 12:48 PM   #2
patrice03
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: z23 318d f30

they are
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 02:24 PM   #3
spark58
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d

I have driven a F25 X3 with start/stop technology and in my opinion it works very well.

I wouldn't say it is irritating, just a little strange at first, as your initial thought is that the car has stalled. It's a little eerie when you wait at traffic lights in complete silence, since the engine isn't idling. You do, however, get a nice warm smug feeling that you are saving money, unlike the other drivers at the lights.

Of course if really don't like Auto Start/Stop, you can always deactivate it.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 02:55 PM   #4
US///M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1973 Jensen Interceptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
Has anyone driven a car with Auto start/stop technology. It seems to me like it would be irritating but I have read positive reviews about other models that have it. Just wondering if someone had first hand experience.

Also, love the F30 but those silly side badges that say sport, modern and luxury are horrible. Hopefully they are removable.
I hear ya, 335i Deluxe.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 02:57 PM   #5
Arktctr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d MSport

rented a 116i manual in france a month ago and it had it...it wasn't very smooth at all but it worked as advertised
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 05:31 PM   #6
dday
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 335 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post

Can't find the article now, but the side badges won't be on the US cars at all (thank god)
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 09:11 PM   #7
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol01 View Post
I have driven F20 with auto start/stop , it comes as standard and it works fine. at first a bit strange but soon it becomes second nature. ( mine was auto )
How effective is it, say, if you're stopped at a light or sign and you see the idiot coming way too fast behind you and you need to move RIGHT NOW!!?

Does it restart that quickly?
I can't see it starting any faster as it still uses the same starter as "manual" start engines.
Judging by how fast my 135i starts, there would be an increased risk in not getting out of the way as quickly as if the engine were already started.
Plus, if we experience a long crank scenario, then you're going to get rear ended by that idiot mentioned above.

I don't like the idea.
If I'm at a stop where it will take longer than a minute, like a known long light or waiting for a train, I can just as easily shut the engine off myself, and I have occasionally.

This might work better with a slushbox auto and not so good with a DCT or MT. Or so I have convinced myself.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 09:22 PM   #8
Raspartan
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

I think I remember reading it won't auto shut off in certain scenarios, such as when the heat is on. I imagine that also means when the A/C is on too.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 10:13 PM   #9
pcbrew
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i 6MT

AFAIK, not completely true.

Based on the F10 system, all accessories including the AC compressor are going to be electrically powered and can still run with the engine shut off. If the system detects the battery charge getting low, it will re-start the engine to maintain an adequate energy source.

Also, based on reports from the 2012 F10, the re-start is essentially instantaneous once you lift off the gas; i.e., not like the normal cranking on initial start. Plus, you can defeat the system on a per-stop basis but lifting off brake pedal pressure after coming to a stop.

More info from BMW (http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...tart_stop.html)
Quote:
Driving comfort and driving safety are not affected by the Auto Start Stop function. The function is not activated, for example, until the engine has reached the ideal running temperature. The same applies if the air conditioner has not yet brought the cabin to the desired temperature, if the battery is not adequately charged or if the driver moves the steering wheel.

The Auto Start Stop function is coordinated by a central control unit that monitors data from all relevant sensors, the starter motor and the alternator. If necessary for comfort or safety, the control unit will automatically restart the engine: for example, if the vehicle begins to roll, the battery charge falls too low or condensation forms on the windscreen.

Furthermore, the system also recognises the difference between a temporary stop and the end of the trip. It will not restart the engine if driver's seatbelt is undone, or if the door or bonnet is open. If desired, the Auto Start Stop function can be completely deactivated with the press of a button.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 01:33 AM   #10
patrice03
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: z23 318d f30

its quite effective but does generate vibrations at ignition on diesel engines which is not an issue in US. anyway, no worries, if you don't like it, just disconnect if..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 08:45 AM   #11
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

I think start/stop is the stupidest thing ever. I hope to never own a car that has it. If it can't be turned off permanently, meaning I never have to touch it again then I won't be getting another BMW.
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 04:59 PM   #12
90degreeman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Crappy 2001 Accord

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraggy View Post
I think start/stop is the stupidest thing ever. I hope to never own a car that has it. If it can't be turned off permanently, meaning I never have to touch it again then I won't be getting another BMW.

Your argument sounds childish. Why is it a stupid thing? I think its a brilliant thing - saving gas and reducing emissions. You can't just say the idea is stupid without providing a reason.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 06:43 PM   #13
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90degreeman View Post
Quote:

Your argument sounds childish. Why is it a stupid thing? I think its a brilliant thing - saving gas and reducing emissions. You can't just say the idea is stupid without providing a reason.
I believe cars should be running the entire time you're driving. Unless there is cross traffic I spend very little at a stop light. It just seems absurd that, in a sense, I shut off mr car at every stop sign, and in some areas, that's like every block. It must make driving very chopping waiting for the car to start all the time.
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 08:06 PM   #14
dday
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I believe cars should be running the entire time you're driving. Unless there is cross traffic I spend very little at a stop light. It just seems absurd that, in a sense, I shut off mr car at every stop sign, and in some areas, that's like every block. It must make driving very chopping waiting for the car to start all the time.
It doesn't, you need to read up on how stop start tech works, it's not the same as a cold start like when you stop your car, it's seamless. No choppy starts no waiting. The cliffnotes version is the following:

When a vehicle slows down and stops, sensors position the engine's pistons in specific locations within each of the cylinders. This allows the system to determine which of the cylinders is fully pressurized and ready to fire. At restart, fuel is injected into the appropriate cylinder, the fuel and air mix is ignited and the engine continues to operate as it normally would.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 08:50 AM   #15
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Let's say it works as you state, although some post don't validate that it does, how much is MPG really improved anyway? A 10th of a mile maybe?? Even a whole 1 MPG would be hardly noticeable.

I fill up about 12 gallons at a time which would mean I'd get an extra 12 miles of driving per fill up. My average daily driving is 67 miles, so the only thing that would change is at what part of that final commute I'd have to stop to fill up. Let's see, as I'm leaving my house?? Or half way to work... Sorry but enough difference to put up with such a system.
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 09:16 AM   #16
Weaselboy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dday View Post
It doesn't, you need to read up on how stop start tech works, it's not the same as a cold start like when you stop your car, it's seamless. No choppy starts no waiting. The cliffnotes version is the following:

When a vehicle slows down and stops, sensors position the engine's pistons in specific locations within each of the cylinders. This allows the system to determine which of the cylinders is fully pressurized and ready to fire. At restart, fuel is injected into the appropriate cylinder, the fuel and air mix is ignited and the engine continues to operate as it normally would.
Do you have some evidence that BMW's system works as you described without using the starter? I did read a Car and Driver article about Mazda working on such a system but they decided it was too expensive to implement for the small gain in efficiency.

From what I have read BMW is still using the starter to restart the engine.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 09:27 AM   #17
spark58
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d

Quote:
Let's say it works as you state, although some post don't validate that it does, how much is MPG really improved anyway? A 10th of a mile maybe?? Even a whole 1 MPG would be hardly noticeable.
I currently own a 2007 E90 320d which I get around 45 mpg-Imp (37 mpg-US). It doesn't have Auto Start/Stop. The current 2011 E90 320d you can buy does have Auto Start/Stop and that will return 60 mpg-Imp (49 mpg-US). A difference of 15 mpg-Imp or 12 mpg-US.

Obviously there will be differences between the difference sized engines and also between petrol [gasoline] and diesel engines and the 60 mpg figure is taken off the BMW UK website so won't necessarily reflect real world driving, however, it should be pretty close. But the theory is there and would suggest that your 12 US gallon fill up could give you up to additional 144 miles and that would allow you to get another daily commute out of your 12 gallon fill up!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 10:18 AM   #18
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

It's not really the same but my wife has a Honda Insight hybrid with stop-start. It's pretty seamless but the tiny engine in this car is a bit rough when it restarts. It's nothing like restarting a car with the key though. In city driving it really helps with fuel economy. Her car gets well over 40 mpg in the city and most of that is on the engine not the battery.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 12:30 PM   #19
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

"The same applies if...the driver moves the steering wheel."

Last edited by Memphis1; 11-04-2011 at 12:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 12:32 PM   #20
dday
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
It's not really the same but my wife has a Honda Insight hybrid with stop-start. It's pretty seamless but the tiny engine in this car is a bit rough when it restarts. It's nothing like restarting a car with the key though. In city driving it really helps with fuel economy. Her car gets well over 40 mpg in the city and most of that is on the engine not the battery.
Hybdrid start stop is different than the start stop using in non hyrbids.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 12:32 PM   #21
dday
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1 View Post
is it something you can choose to activate or is it on 100% of the time?? if i commute and stop every 50 feet for 30miles (exagerating), will it eventually f**k something up??
It's on unless you turn it off. It's been used in cars for a few years now and you don't hear about any issues. I don't get what people are scared of.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 12:41 PM   #22
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dday View Post
I don't get what people are scared of.
i don't give two shits about it, it's just a simple question...