Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Buying winter setup from Tirerack. Questions!

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

10-29-2011, 12:38 PM   #1
setofvs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW 2008 E90 335xi

Buying winter setup from Tirerack. Questions!

Hello all,

Has anyone had any experience ordering a full winter square set up from TireRack? I have an 2008 E90 335xi Sedan and I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on which wheels/tires are best while not spending an arm and a leg on the set up.

Tirerack's "preferred winter package" is Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25 RFT paired with MSW Type 22s. Does anyone have any prior experience with RFT winter tires vs. Non-RFT? Also, do I HAVE TO purchase the TPMS, which is another $200?

I was looking into the Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 Blackwall with Sport Edition A7 Black Painted as a 'cheaper set-up' (still $1112 before shipping and TPMS)

Also, Tirerack says they offer Hunter Road Force™ Mounting and Balancing. Does that mean that they will mount and balance the wheel and tire prior to shipping and all I need to do is just jack up my car and install the tire myself? Will not ordering the TPMS affect anything besides having to check tire pressure manually?

Please advise, thank you all in advance.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 12:58 PM   #2
flip4335
General Nuisance in a Private Conveyance
United_States
Rep
Drives: like it's rented

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by setofvs View Post
Hello all,

Has anyone had any experience ordering a full winter square set up from TireRack? I have an 2008 E90 335xi Sedan and I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on which wheels/tires are best while not spending an arm and a leg on the set up.

Tirerack's "preferred winter package" is Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25 RFT paired with MSW Type 22s. Does anyone have any prior experience with RFT winter tires vs. Non-RFT? Also, do I HAVE TO purchase the TPMS, which is another $200?

I was looking into the Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 Blackwall with Sport Edition A7 Black Painted as a 'cheaper set-up' (still $1112 before shipping and TPMS)

Also, Tirerack says they offer Hunter Road Force™ Mounting and Balancing. Does that mean that they will mount and balance the wheel and tire prior to shipping and all I need to do is just jack up my car and install the tire myself? Will not ordering the TPMS affect anything besides having to check tire pressure manually?

Please advise, thank you all in advance.
I bought from Tire Rack a square setup of ContiExtreme Performance non-rft snows on Sport Edition A5 (no longer available) five years ago with TPMS, mounted and balanced and shipped to my local Merchants Tire for swapout of summers. Yes, it cost $1400 from Tire Rack, but well worth the effort. Plug and play, as they say.

Over five years, I had one incident of a nail in the tire. Had it repaired and keeping fingers crossed the next five years will be as pain-free as the first five.

BMWCCA Member # 414198 |E90|SGM|6MT|Premium|Cold|Sport|Tint|LCI MSport Conversion|MTech|Blacklines|219M|PSS|Quaife|Helix FMIC|M3 Suspension|Megan Racing|GC Camber Plates/Coilovers|Eibach 440/800#|AR Catted DP|Cobb AP|StopTech Drilled/Slotted|SS Brake Lines|DWS
Quaife Review: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311570
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 01:47 PM   #3
setofvs
Private First Class
Rep

Where are you located, flip? I probably only drive 7000 miles total a year and probably 3000 or so in the winter for road trips to go snowboarding, hence wanting a winter setup.

I'm hoping the tires will last me 4-5 seasons, but i've heard that winter tire rubber wears much faster than summer performance tire rubber. I suppose it's a good investment, if $1400 will last me for 5 years+ i'd be damn happy.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 02:13 PM   #4
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

While my last winter tire/wheel set was purchased from Tire rack a number of years ago, I would recommend them without reservation.

If you do not install the TPMS sensors, you will deal with a continual, annoying system warning on your dashboard.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 02:59 PM   #5
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly 1995 M3

Yes, the package would indeed arrive mounted and balanced, just ready to bolt on.

Winter
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AH8&...nter/index.jsp

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 03:03 PM   #6
setofvs
Private First Class
Rep

thanks gary, any promotions right now? do you recommend Blizzak LM-25 RFTs or LM-60. TPMS or no TPMS? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 05:16 PM   #7
flip4335
General Nuisance in a Private Conveyance
United_States
Rep
Drives: like it's rented

Garage List
Quote:
Where are you located, flip? I probably only drive 7000 miles total a year and probably 3000 or so in the winter for road trips to go snowboarding, hence wanting a winter setup.

I'm hoping the tires will last me 4-5 seasons, but i've heard that winter tire rubber wears much faster than summer performance tire rubber. I suppose it's a good investment, if $1400 will last me for 5 years+ i'd be damn happy.
Located near the foothills of West Virginia! I only drive around 6-7K, as well. TPMS on winter tires are necessary if they are non-rfts. I was alerted about the nail via TPMS, so I would highly recommend the extra two Ben Franklins worth of security. So far, so good in my neck of the neighborhood as far as treadwear is concerned.

G/L with your decision!

BMWCCA Member # 414198 |E90|SGM|6MT|Premium|Cold|Sport|Tint|LCI MSport Conversion|MTech|Blacklines|219M|PSS|Quaife|Helix FMIC|M3 Suspension|Megan Racing|GC Camber Plates/Coilovers|Eibach 440/800#|AR Catted DP|Cobb AP|StopTech Drilled/Slotted|SS Brake Lines|DWS
Quaife Review: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311570
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 07:27 PM   #8
smack
Lieutenant Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW's/Flex Polishers

Highly recommend tirerack here. I havent ordered snows but have ordered summers and everything came in ready to "plug and play". You cant go wrong the tirerack.

If you dont go with TPMS in the winter set the tire light WILL stay on no matter what you do. Spend the extra dough on the TPMS and you will have no worries.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 08:07 AM   #9
setofvs
Private First Class
Rep

everyone seems to recommend TPMS, i guess in the long run $200 won't break the bank. now, RFTs or non-RFTs is the question...
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 11:18 AM   #10
smack
Lieutenant Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW's/Flex Polishers

Quote:
everyone seems to recommend TPMS, i guess in the long run $200 won't break the bank. now, RFTs or non-RFTs is the question...
That all comes down to what you plan on doing with the car, how long you are going to keep the car, and what trade offs are you willing to get. Switching to non RFT you get cheaper tires, better ride quality and handling but remember the car has no room for a spare unless you plan carring a spare in the trunk. Or you can carry a mobility kit like the M cars do and get by with that. Same thing goes for the summer tires if you plan on switching those as well. Also RFT's can only be replaced by specialized machines at certain locations.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 11:25 AM   #11
setofvs
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smack View Post
That all comes down to what you plan on doing with the car, how long you are going to keep the car, and what trade offs are you willing to get. Switching to non RFT you get cheaper tires, better ride quality and handling but remember the car has no room for a spare unless you plan carring a spare in the trunk. Or you can carry a mobility kit like the M cars do and get by with that. Same thing goes for the summer tires if you plan on switching those as well. Also RFT's can only be replaced by specialized machines at certain locations.
I currently have BMW's wheel and tire insurance and non-RFTs for my summer tires. I wonder if they'll honor it if god-forbid I get a flat on my winter set...

So currently looking at 17" Rial Salernos in Anthracite paired with the LM-60 Blizzaks with TPMS. Going to cost a pretty penny
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2011, 03:54 PM   #12
setofvs
Private First Class
Rep

Hey all, just to update. I was able to snag a set off of a forum member. Rial Salernos with Cooper Weathermaster ST/2 tires.

Quick question though, does anyone know if 17x8 Rial Salernos use OEM BMW lugs? Thanks!
Appreciate 0