Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Questions on RFTs

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

10-26-2011, 01:26 AM   #1
Ernerd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i SGM '07

Questions on RFTs

Hi, I recently discovered a nail puncture on my rear left tire, so I brought my car to a local tire shop to repair it. However, they told me that they found 2 nails and they were too close to the tire wall (or something like that I forgot what they told me) for it to be repairable.

Since I don't have any experience on tires, are they telling me the truth? When I inspected the tire myself, I thought the nail wasn't too far off to the side. Also, the tire deflated quite a lot, it didn't even push out the air-pressure-reading-tool-thingy that shows the PSI. Will this cause further damage to the tire wall?

After telling me the tire is not repairable, they quoted me for the same tire (Potenza RE050A) at $411 dollars. Is this price reasonable?

Also, they recommend me to change all 4 tires, because there will be a pull towards one side. I believe my tires have considerably below 10k miles, and the PPI before I purchased the car told me the tires were still in good shape. How much of a difference will I notice if I only change the 1 tire?

Thanks for helping and sorry for the amount of questions, I really have no experience on tires. I'll try to provide pictures of the puncture tomorrow so you guys can help me decide whether they are BSing me and try to get a sale. Thank you!

Last edited by Ernerd; 10-26-2011 at 01:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 06:48 AM   #2
mike3000fl
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

GAUGE- the pressure gauge shouldn't show anything because the tire had a hole. the sidewall is extremely stiff on a RFT, thats what makes it hold its shape after a flat.

HOLE NEAR SIDEWALL- with conventional and rft tires, sidewalls cuts or holes pretty much make the tire unrepairable. if the hole is in the tread area you are good though. big names shops dont like to fix RFTs with a plug because once you have driven on empty, the heat degrades the tire and you risk problems later if you patch it and reuse.

How far and at what speeds did you drive on it while flat?

I would have a mom and pop store pull the tire off, inspect the inside for any damage, patch and plug it versus just a simple plug. If it loses air again then you know the hole is too close to the sidewall and the flex is causing it to leak.

If you do end up having to buy a new one, you "should" replace the other side (left or right), but it is not necessary to replace the other 2 (front or back). If your tire had a lot of meat on it then i wouldn't even replace the other side, just the one tire that has the hole.

A lot of us dump the RFTs and just buy a set of conventional tires. Car rides nicer but you have to have a plan for when you do get a flat since you cant carry a fullsize spare and there is no room under the truck floor for a donut. There are kits with compact spares and a jack but they take up trunk space. I just carry a bottle of slime puncture sealant, some plugs, and a small cheap aircompressor, sold in a kit at walmart. This will get me home unless i have a total blowout, then I call AAA.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 07:42 AM   #3
Ernerd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i SGM '07

Hey, I probably drove the car around 10 miles in total, just going back and forth between class, eating, and the tire shop. I filled it with air the first trip, because I didn't know there was a nail in the tire, and iDrive didn't recognize a flat tire for a couple hours. I drove the car at max around 40-50 mph.

Once RFTs get repaired, will it be dangerous though? Like if another nail punctures the repaired tire?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 08:13 AM   #4
mike3000fl
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

if it wasn't damaged by heat and excessive driving (see if the inside is chewed up), then it should be fine. If you just plug it, there is a risk of the layers getting air trapped and the tire seperating, always have the tire removed and inspected and a plug/patch put on from the INSIDE.

you aren't the first to fix a RFT, don't worry. if it is a sidewall hole, then its a problem.
Appreciate 0