E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Out Of Warranty Lemon Vehicles

10-24-2011, 04:20 PM   #1
swinster
Reppin Freakmont in the Bay
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 335 sedan

Garage List
2007 335i Sedan  [0.00]
Out Of Warranty Lemon Vehicles

Hey guys/gals:

So I have a 335i 2007 with 30036 miles on it, which I drive maybe once a week...obviously I am fortunate not to have to drive it daily and I take care of the car. My warranty expired (due to time) and I started getting dash lights coming on. The stealership says the indicator light that came on (for DTC/tire issues) wasn't really the problem it said it was for, and now they tell me I have to replace the entire steering column ($1700) "OR THE CAR WILL LOCK UP AND YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO DRIVE IT." Two questions, any one else begin getting hammered with car issues after warranty was up? Second, should I unload the car now before this gets out of control?
2007 335i TiAG Sedan, Premium PKG, Sport PKG, shifters, 24/7 surveillance, steptronic, K&N drop in filter, 50-35-30 tint, matte black kidney grilles, blacked out amber fronts, debadged, cyba black scoops, cyba black chrome tips, looking for new rims.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 06:10 PM   #2
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinster View Post
Hey guys/gals:

So I have a 335i 2007 with 30036 miles on it, which I drive maybe once a week...obviously I am fortunate not to have to drive it daily and I take care of the car. My warranty expired (due to time) and I started getting dash lights coming on. The stealership says the indicator light that came on (for DTC/tire issues) wasn't really the problem it said it was for, and now they tell me I have to replace the entire steering column ($1700) "OR THE CAR WILL LOCK UP AND YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO DRIVE IT." Two questions, any one else begin getting hammered with car issues after warranty was up? Second, should I unload the car now before this gets out of control?
What happened to cause the lights to come on?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 06:14 PM   #3
ChuckBMW3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 335i

Since you are out of warranty, forget the dealership and find a local indy shop that is BMW certified/specialized which should save you a considerable amount of $$$.

I wouldn't dump the car just yet; it could be an isolated event.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 06:32 PM   #4
Supra98
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

I need a new steering column (have the red steering wheel and lock on my dash) they said soon the car won't start and won't drive. I've been driving it like this for 4,000 miles haha i'm getting if fixed at the end of this week though. Bought an extended warranty a while ago, time to use it. I have 72K miles and that's been my only problem.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 06:34 PM   #5
Supra98
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckBMW3 View Post
Since you are out of warranty, forget the dealership and find a local indy shop that is BMW certified/specialized which should save you a considerable amount of $$$.

x2 the steering column is only 465 at Tischer BMW
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 07:02 PM   #6
swinster
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i Sedan  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb View Post
What happened to cause the lights to come on?
I truly think nothing "happened" at the time. I was pulling away from a curb and the lights came on. The symbol is a triangle with an exclamation point in the middle. An arrow going counter clockwise goes around the triangle and the "brake" light is illuminated yellow. I went with the dealer for repairs because of all the re-coding and re-programming involved after everything is replaced....Such a bummer since I rarely drive it. So far though, two fuel pumps, steering wheel peeling, moon roof wouldn't open, mostly all electrical issues.. Starting to wonder about the "Ultimate Driving Machine."
2007 335i TiAG Sedan, Premium PKG, Sport PKG, shifters, 24/7 surveillance, steptronic, K&N drop in filter, 50-35-30 tint, matte black kidney grilles, blacked out amber fronts, debadged, cyba black scoops, cyba black chrome tips, looking for new rims.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 07:04 PM   #7
swinster
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i Sedan  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckBMW3 View Post

I was torn man, good advice but the SA made it sound like without the BMW programming I would be screwed.....I'm gonna have to find a local shop if the problems persist.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 07:06 PM   #8
swinster
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i Sedan  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra98 View Post
I need a new steering column (have the red steering wheel and lock on my dash) they said soon the car won't start and won't drive. I've been driving it like this for 4,000 miles haha i'm getting if fixed at the end of this week though. Bought an extended warranty a while ago, time to use it. I have 72K miles and that's been my only problem.
I didn't even have those error codes, "have the red steering wheel and lock on my dash." It kind of blows when you trust the people at the dealership but I'm worried I'm taking one on the chin here....completely different codes and things happening, according to the dealership...
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 05:52 AM   #9
DrtyJersey
Private First Class
Colombia
Rep
Drives: e92 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra98 View Post
x2 the steering column is only 465 at Tischer BMW
gotta love Tischer!! Big savings
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 08:02 AM   #10
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinster View Post
I truly think nothing "happened" at the time. I was pulling away from a curb and the lights came on. The symbol is a triangle with an exclamation point in the middle. An arrow going counter clockwise goes around the triangle and the "brake" light is illuminated yellow. I went with the dealer for repairs because of all the re-coding and re-programming involved after everything is replaced....Such a bummer since I rarely drive it. So far though, two fuel pumps, steering wheel peeling, moon roof wouldn't open, mostly all electrical issues.. Starting to wonder about the "Ultimate Driving Machine."
So what "happened" some other time? Any run-ins with potholes, curbs or the like?

Did the dealer just pull codes and say "you need a new steering rack, that'll be $1700 please" or were other parts to be replaced? Steering rack replacements follow the replacement of other suspension bits.
Appreciate 0