Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > wheel studs and lugs?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

10-23-2011, 01:39 PM   #1
335 oClock
MOE
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335i 6MT

wheel studs and lugs?

What do you guys think about Macht Shnell wheel studs? Are there "bad" and "good" when it comes to wheel studs? If so, what's a good one and whys the one you say is bad.. bad?

Also, how are project kicks r40 lugs with locks?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 02:18 PM   #2
tofu-
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i Jet Black/Coral Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335 oClock View Post

Thanks
freaking expensive is what they are lol
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 03:09 PM   #3
335 oClock
MOE
United_States
Rep

haha besides that

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu- View Post
freaking expensive is what they are lol
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 04:26 PM   #4
pe90zzi
CuL SToRY BRaHH
Rep
Drives: a purple thing

go with the lugs they are great!

and get vorshlag studs personally the best!
      10-23-2011, 04:52 PM   #5
335 oClock
MOE
United_States
Rep

so why vorshlag over ms studs?

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by pe90zzi View Post
go with the lugs they are great!

and get vorshlag studs personally the best!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 09:53 PM   #6
Peter@VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: P85D

I purchased these wheel stud/nuts for my E92 coupe and they worked out nicely, makes changing wheels much easier. Haven't done so with the new car and your post might have served as a reminder for me to pull the trigger, LOL.

With wheel studs (or any lug bolt and nuts OEM or otherwise), the first and foremost is the strength. Even though lugs/nuts/studs are all made of carbon steel, one has to make sure that adequate QC as well as heat treatment is utilized during manufacturing process to reach the recommended grade 10.9. Anything significantly less than that, the threads may strip, heads may warp, or worse, the studs might snap. Aside from the strength, these things also need to be coated so that they are rust resistant. (chrome, dacromate, zinc, among others). Lug nut/bolts are all made of mild steel and so they do need a protective coating... otherwise you'll see orange after a few months

Either way, if experiences reported by past customers is not enough, I believe I've seen some of these strength / salt spray test result floating around somewhere... If you REALLY want to see for yourself, I guess you can buy a second set of studs/nuts (from wherever you end up choosing) and have them sent in for testing, although that might be excessive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335 oClock View Post
What do you guys think about Macht Shnell wheel studs? Are there "bad" and "good" when it comes to wheel studs? If so, what's a good one and whys the one you say is bad.. bad?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 11:07 PM   #7
335 oClock
MOE
United_States
Rep

wow lol thank you!

do you know if the MS are at that 10.0 standard?

thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter@VMRWheels View Post
I purchased these wheel stud/nuts for my E92 coupe and they worked out nicely, makes changing wheels much easier. Haven't done so with the new car and your post might have served as a reminder for me to pull the trigger, LOL.

With wheel studs (or any lug bolt and nuts OEM or otherwise), the first and foremost is the strength. Even though lugs/nuts/studs are all made of carbon steel, one has to make sure that adequate QC as well as heat treatment is utilized during manufacturing process to reach the recommended grade 10.9. Anything significantly less than that, the threads may strip, heads may warp, or worse, the studs might snap. Aside from the strength, these things also need to be coated so that they are rust resistant. (chrome, dacromate, zinc, among others). Lug nut/bolts are all made of mild steel and so they do need a protective coating... otherwise you'll see orange after a few months

Either way, if experiences reported by past customers is not enough, I believe I've seen some of these strength / salt spray test result floating around somewhere... If you REALLY want to see for yourself, I guess you can buy a second set of studs/nuts (from wherever you end up choosing) and have them sent in for testing, although that might be excessive
Appreciate 0