E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > New E93 ordered - thought I'd better register

05-01-2007, 06:23 AM   #1
Serjames
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M-sport

Garage List
New E93 ordered - thought I'd better register

Been hanging around for a while but since I ordered my E93 yesterday, thought I'd register properly and say hi.

I'm an absolute Beemer noob, and really did just buy because I loved the new coupe shape, saw the folding roof and it was a no brainer !

So being so useless at anything BMW - before they start building is there anything I definitely need to tell them to look out for ?

SJ
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2007, 07:07 AM   #2
rjs
Major
England
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
'09 M3 (e93)  [10.00]
Greetings SJ.

Welcome to the random world of the UK forum. I'm a beemer noob too so you're not the only one

What spec did you go for?

Rich

E93 M3
| Azurite Black | Extended Bamboo Leather | Piano Black Trim | 19" 220M Wheels | Shadowline Trim | Edition Grills
M DCT | HDD iDrive | EDC | Bluetooth | Front & Rear PDC | Heated Seats | DAB Radio | Hi-Fi Speakers | USB Audio | SmartTOP
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2007, 07:13 AM   #3
keithIOW
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: E93 325 SE

Welcome and congratulations

I've got an E93 and trust me, you'll love yours.

E93 325 SE, Sparkling Graphite, Black Dakota, hi-gloss black trim, 230's, Folding Mirrors, C/A, Sat Nav, Sport Seats, Front Seat Heating, prof Hi-Fi
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2007, 08:41 AM   #4
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serjames View Post
Been hanging around for a while but since I ordered my E93 yesterday, thought I'd register properly and say hi.

I'm an absolute Beemer noob, and really did just buy because I loved the new coupe shape, saw the folding roof and it was a no brainer !

So being so useless at anything BMW - before they start building is there anything I definitely need to tell them to look out for ?

SJ

Welcome to the forum !
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2007, 08:43 AM   #5
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
Welcome to the forum.

Don't worry we're not as crazy as you'd think from reading the UK threads

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2007, 09:11 AM   #6
Serjames
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Wow...

And I thought I was the only one who worked from home !!

Thanks for the warm welcome chaps

Spec is as follows

Colour :Titanium Silver - might need some assistance here as I really am not sure what the best colour combo would be. I'm driving a black 350z at the mo and wouldn't buy black again... even though it looks so stunning... it's a b**ch to keep clean

Leather :Black

Auto Box - really not convinced about this, but not having been able to even test drive a manual as the dealer couldn't source one, it goes to highlight that in the UK most BM's are auto(?) so for the sake of resale, I guess I ought to follow the line.

Wheels :I plumbed for the 19" double spokes, as i know I'd regret not getting them later.

All the rest pasted from the spec sheet.

Auto-Dim Int + Ext Mirror
Auto-Dim Interior Mirror
Elec Fr Seats + Driver Memory
Lumbar support - fr seats
Storage Compartment Pack
Front Seat Heating
Automatic Air Conditioning
Dynamic Cruise Control
Extended Interior Light Package
Navigation-system Professional
BMW Assist
Voice Control System
Bluetooth phone prep + telematics
Hi-Fi Sys Prof DSP

I did have a question about the USB port though, I didn't realise that would give you a fully interfaced iPOD port(!). Is there any info on the specs of this anywhere, or any pics. I had just assumed I was going to be using the aux in, but might save my money on the £300 quid tyre insurance with the RAC quote you guys mentioned and and get the USB dongle instead - thoughts ?

SJ
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2007, 09:31 AM   #7
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Nice spec ...

I agree that there are very few 6 cylinder BMW's with manual boxes out there. I'm not convinced that this is a big issue for re-sale though - as at best you will just get back the extra cost you put in.

I'd go with whatever you feel best about. The new auto is supposed to be excellent, but for me a manual box was essential.

The 6fl usb thing sounds great - finally a really good ipod interface.

This is the info on how it works:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...0&d=1176039316

In the Uk the dealers seem to be charging extra for the cable which is essential for full ipod functionality.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2007, 09:51 AM   #8
Serjames
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Hmm, I need to get a TD in a manual I think. They told me pretty clearly that even with the order confirmed I can make certain changes fairly late into the day so might need to look this up.

Cheers for the iPOD data, am assimilating now

Ahh, very cool, so it charges too. Right will have to go for that then I guess

I think a copy of the PDF will be winging it's way to Cooper Cobham shortly.

SJ
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2007, 09:54 AM   #9
rjs
Major
England
Rep

Garage List
'09 M3 (e93)  [10.00]
I don't work from home

Get the USB if you like music, not tried it myself, but it looks great

I've gone for the auto as well. Manual is nice but for most of my driving the auto will be better. There's always manual mode & paddles for when i want to give it some welly.

What's your esitmated delivery date? dazzpab on another thread reckons the wait is currently march 2008! Seems a long time.

E93 M3
| Azurite Black | Extended Bamboo Leather | Piano Black Trim | 19" 220M Wheels | Shadowline Trim | Edition Grills
M DCT | HDD iDrive | EDC | Bluetooth | Front & Rear PDC | Heated Seats | DAB Radio | Hi-Fi Speakers | USB Audio | SmartTOP
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2007, 09:54 AM   #10
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
They told me pretty clearly that even with the order confirmed I can make certain changes fairly late into the day so might need to look this up.
Careful with that .... my order was designated 'non spec changeable' within about 24 hours ... i.e. no changes to the factory spec.

I'd say it's worth trying a manual though - even if it's not a 335i - just to make sure you have made the right choice
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2007, 09:57 AM   #11
rjs
Major
England
Rep

Garage List
'09 M3 (e93)  [10.00]
Quote:
Hmm, I need to get a TD in a manual I think. They told me pretty clearly that even with the order confirmed I can make certain changes fairly late into the day so might need to look this up.
You can make changes usually up untill you get a chassis number, then it's locked in.

If you've got a longish wait then you should be able to make changes for a while.

If you make changes near to the start of production you can get bumped backwards and put your delivery date back as well apparantly.

E93 M3
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2007, 10:17 AM   #12
Serjames
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Apparently I must have said the right thing - I turned up and spotted this amazing looking Coupe, Black M-sport, you know "shiny Shiny - Big eyes!"... then realised it was a Hard Top Convertible !

I was seriously surprised and walked in looking like a right scruffy bugger, got a test drive the next morning only to be told it was the Dealer principle's demo car and some guy had just paid cash for it, LIST price with over 5k on the clock. If I wanted one it would be mid 08 at the earliest.

I waved some nettles, stamped my foot, and then just gave them chocolate, which seemed to do the trick. They called around found an un-allocated delivery slot for Sep and supposedly slapped my name on it ?

I hope it really is that simple but then I would feel a Little (just a little) guilty if you guys have been waiting for ages and then I nick one earlier !

By the way what phones will work with this setup? Will my company 6320i do the trick ?

SJ
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2007, 10:20 AM   #13
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Apparently I must have said the right thing - I turned up and spotted this amazing looking Coupe, Black M-sport, you know "shiny Shiny - Big eyes!"... then realised it was a Hard Top Convertible !

I was seriously surprised and walked in looking like a right scruffy bugger, got a test drive the next morning only to be told it was the Dealer principle's demo car and some guy had just paid cash for it, LIST price with over 5k on the clock. If I wanted one it would be mid 08 at the earliest.

I waved some nettles, stamped my foot, and then just gave them chocolate, which seemed to do the trick. They called around found an un-allocated delivery slot for Sep and supposedly slapped my name on it ?

I hope it really is that simple but then I would feel a Little (just a little) guilty if you guys have been waiting for ages and then I nick one earlier !

By the way what phones will work with this setup? Will my company 6320i do the trick ?

SJ
If you mean 6230i then yes it works and you can buy a snap fit for it as well.

If you mean 6320i then I'm not sure - they look the same though. This is the compatability list:

http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/bluetooth....html#tabletop

Did you really wave nettles at them ?

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2007, 10:35 AM   #14
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
Welcome James, I'm sure you'll fit right in around here with your nettle waving and chocolate donations.
      05-01-2007, 10:47 AM   #15
Serjames
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Nettles, ahh ancient cornish hex - Always works.

Chocolate was probably more efective however as the sales chap has asked for more, apparently his "standing" with the admin girls has improved no end

SJ
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2007, 11:02 AM   #16
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
Quote:
And I thought I was the only one who worked from home !!
More like rank having it's privelages, like your own office (and working for a pretty relaxed company).

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2007, 11:13 AM   #17
squeezebm
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi

WELCOME Serjames,Nice choice if your still speccing up have a look @ the comfort access,just walk up to car touch handle and it unlocks.To lock it just touch the top of the door handle.

OK its £535 but its worth it,as another toy etc etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2007, 11:30 AM   #18
Serjames
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
That is a cool feature.... So I guess that works on the principle of having the key fob on your person right ? some sort of wireless connection with the car when it gets in range.

Hmm, seems a little risky from a hi-jack point of view ? or am I being paranoid.

I did seriously look at this with the top down possuer whilst at the bar / better access to the boot issue, but like you said £535 is a lot and would tip this over the "ridiculous - that's just stoopid money mark"

SJ
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2007, 01:15 PM   #19
squeezebm
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi

Do people get hi-jacked in surrey?

Just order it ............................ you know you want to
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2007, 02:48 PM   #20
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh93sa View Post
More like rank having it's privelages, like your own office (and working for a pretty relaxed company).
Exactly - the higher you go in business you spend less time doing and more time thinking.

I used to work from home and when 'thinking' I would tend to play the guitar.

Now I work in the office I tend to spend my 'thinking' time on e90post.com
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2007, 02:57 PM   #21
AndyB
It's got to be an "i"
Rep
Drives: F82 M4CP, X6, X3 M40i on order

Working from home is a nightmare, I do it every day and end up reading forums when I can't decide what to do next ;-)

I have to disagree on the Auto=better value at resale. It's a £1500 option and I doubt it will add 1500 to the value of the car at resale. I went manual without a test drive in a manual. I loved the paddles, the ability to go into manual mode even when in D was rather cool. But I am still young and that short shifter looks a peach to use..

The only things I'd add to that spec are the ipod interface and comfort access. There is no hijack risk as you have to be by the door of the car for it to open. Get it, you won't regret it. I've also gone for the adaptive headlights as I drive down lots of unlit country roads and like the idea of blinding people coming the other way.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2007, 03:06 PM   #22
adamr
Major
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3 RS

Garage List
congrats on taking the plunge .. trust me you ain't gonna be disappointed ...

When the car gonna arrive?

2007 Porsche 997 GT3 RS
|PCM with NAV and GSM|Roll Cage|PCCB|Xenons|Sports Chrono Plus|PASM|Leather Pack|Silver Seat-belts|
Appreciate 0