E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Best launch time

04-30-2007, 08:19 PM   #1
abdarm
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

Question Best launch time

what is te fastest mode/way to race off the line when you have a 335i Auto with paddle shifters. What exactly does sport mode do?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2007, 08:43 PM   #2
Blk07335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdarm View Post
what is te fastest mode/way to race off the line when you have a 335i Auto with paddle shifters. What exactly does sport mode do?
The 335i AT has three modes of shifting. 1. Full auto i.e. 'D'. 2. Auto Sport or 'DS' where the trans shifts for you but the shifting follows a more aggressive profile. Starting in first gear from a dead stop, shifting at a higher RPM to stay within the power band. 3. Full manual where you control the shift points. I find the 'DS' mode to be quite responsive and almost as fast as full manual. I think most people have gotten the best times off the line by going with full manual and starting in first gear with RPMs around 1500 to ensure the turbos are spooled up at launch.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2007, 10:15 PM   #3
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

So basically you want to press the brake, give it gas till around 1500-2000 depending on what you find works best, then let off of the brake whist mashing the throttle. Peddle as necessary to maintain traction.

BE CAREFUL. Power braking (pressing both pedals at once) can and will ruin your transmission if you do it too much. I believe it will overheat and die but I forget why it's bad exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2007, 11:00 PM   #4
LOLrance
The Law.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstClass View Post
So basically you want to press the brake, give it gas till around 1500-2000 depending on what you find works best, then let off of the brake whist mashing the throttle. Peddle as necessary to maintain traction.

BE CAREFUL. Power braking (pressing both pedals at once) can and will ruin your transmission if you do it too much. I believe it will overheat and die but I forget why it's bad exactly.
+1 that pretty much sums it up.
      05-05-2007, 07:48 AM   #5
MDL
bye bye USA
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 A3 2.0T

The part that could overheat and die in an automatic trans is the torque converter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque_converter

kind of a long winded explaination there, but it gives you a real good idea of what your automatic is doing when you floor the throttle. Sounds like heat is the real enemy, but as long as your'e not power braking for a long time (like don't hold it for 10 secs while you're wainting for a light to change) you should be fine.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2007, 03:13 AM   #6
RaptorKTM
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 M Coupe

Garage List
2011 BMW 1 M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstClass View Post

dude i used to do that on my 3 like every day and nothing happened. trust me bmw already thought about all this
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2007, 02:53 PM   #7
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalRS4 View Post
dude i used to do that on my 3 like every day and nothing happened. trust me bmw already thought about all this
Well of course nothing is going to happen if you only do it once a day. The danger is in doing it multiple times back to back because the transmission doesn't have a chance to cool down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0