E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > 335D/E90 M3/335I/135I or 966 turbo? Help me!

09-20-2011, 03:23 AM   #1
zazzn
Rep
Drives: None yet

335D/E90 M3/335I/135I or 966 turbo? Help me!

I've been trolling around trying to figure out what I want to buy...

I have sold my Supra and my Aristo... I'm moving to California and I couldn't bring them because they where RHD and modified. My supra had over 600 WHP and my aristo (daily driver) was 390 WHP. I'm trying to find something fun to drive on and off track. Now I don't track every weekend but I do track at least a 5-6 times a year.

The 335D really brings home the the responsible person in me because you just can't pass up 30+ mpg with 400+tq.

Here's the problem... Auto... Now I love manual cars not only for tracking but for having a little fun here and there. (when you want to hang the tail out) However, I know how annoying auto's can be but on the same hand amazingly numbing when you want it to be that (driving in stop and go traffic).

I like the 135 because of the lightness, and same ability to mod as the 335.

335 for space and more practicality also little cheaper for used ones or about the same price as 135 basically more for less.

e90 will be more fun on the track won't require 3-5k in mods like exhaust chip, intake and won't have the overheating problems of the N54.

996 meets everything I want but not reliability.... It's old and worries me because I am not bringing any tools when I move to CA from Toronto Canada, and I don't even know if I'll have a garage yet.

Questions....

Is the 335d auto any good?
Does the 335d over heat if lapped on the track at all?
Does it come with an Oil cooler?
Does it have a limp mode?
What the most power a chip tune is giving these days?

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 06:52 AM   #2
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

The AT is a ZF unit which was also used in the prev gen seven series.
I don't know.
It has a aux radiator for coolant not oil.
JB but reliability with regards to how well it plays with th emissions system is unknown.

Why not just buy a E46 M3 as a track car and spend the coin on driving school?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 08:10 AM   #3
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

996 not reliable??? The 996 is a reliable car by most standards and has an excellent track record in this category. BMW on the other hand doesn't have the best reputation in the reliability dept. My brother has a 996TT and it's an animal. Chip it, add exhaust etc and it transmforms into a beast. There are quite of few cherry VERY low milage 996TT's out there for sale, some still under extended warraty.

The d as good as it is around town you probably will not be as happy at the track with it, great auto tranmission but not the best suited for the track. JMHO. The e90 M3 is nice but I was mildly disappointed with the engine as a daily driver. The car really has to be rung out at the track. Hence why I went with the d, since 99.9% of time is spent driving around town.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 12:11 PM   #4
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto

The 335d WILL be Step. Too much torque for manual to handle as limit is 560NM where as Steptronic is 700NM. I believe...

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
On Order: 2015 Audi A6 Avant Ultra, Black Edition (sorry!)
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 03:20 PM   #5
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Prius

M3 and ess super charger. Coming from a 600whp supra all else will be slow to you or second choice a 335i with rb turbos meth and fbo
      09-22-2011, 02:54 AM   #6
zazzn
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socom View Post
The AT is a ZF unit which was also used in the prev gen seven series.
I don't know.
It has a aux radiator for coolant not oil.
JB but reliability with regards to how well it plays with th emissions system is unknown.

Why not just buy a E46 M3 as a track car and spend the coin on driving school?
I can't do a E46, I just can't something about them... I've waxed them in too many of my old cars.... I need something faster, besides I'm a intermediate/Advanced when it comes to lapping. I used to lap every Monday when I lived in Montreal with my supra.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 03:01 AM   #7
zazzn
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPWINCH View Post
M3 and ess super charger. Coming from a 600whp supra all else will be slow to you or second choice a 335i with rb turbos meth and fbo
Would be nice but that would push the price up to 56k and more and then wont pass cali state ref. Might as well get a GTR at that point... Problem with GTR is it's a 7k break job when you do them and 2k trans oil change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomer123 View Post
The 335d WILL be Step. Too much torque for manual to handle as limit is 560NM where as Steptronic is 700NM. I believe...
Not really, my Getrag V160 in my supra holds 600 TQ no problem.... Guys are doing over 1300 WHP on them too believe it or not! They are an animal of a transmission. Testament to German engineering. Also there are many turbo diesel trucks they could have pulled a 6 spd out of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
996 not reliable??? The 996 is a reliable car by most standards and has an excellent track record in this category. BMW on the other hand doesn't have the best reputation in the reliability dept. My brother has a 996TT and it's an animal. Chip it, add exhaust etc and it transmforms into a beast. There are quite of few cherry VERY low milage 996TT's out there for sale, some still under extended warraty.

The d as good as it is around town you probably will not be as happy at the track with it, great auto tranmission but not the best suited for the track. JMHO. The e90 M3 is nice but I was mildly disappointed with the engine as a daily driver. The car really has to be rung out at the track. Hence why I went with the d, since 99.9% of time is spent driving around town.
I don't disagree the 996 is reliable, but there are a few issues, and it's a 10 year old car is what I'm getting at for reliability. An 08 335 is 3 years old and usually still under warranty. Very few 996's still have warranty. Warranty only matters to me on things like the 2nd gear pop out issue.

Thanks for the replies guys.

How about adding bigger injectors and upping the boost on a Diesel? I'm sure you guys could make quite a bit more power along with some propane injection!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 07:22 AM   #8
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

I think you're barking up the wrong tree with the diesel, besides there is not much out there in the way of mods. You will get more power delivery by increasing fuel delivery in the diesel. The turbos are already running at an extremely high Psi. Tune options include the Jbd, vac and a few others and hp and torque gains are impressive. That's about it for us US guys,, for now anyway. But then again that's not really why we purchased the diesel.

Sounds like the 335 would be the best compromise for you, otherwise I would be in a 2003 996 in heartbeat even over an hpf plagued 3 year old e90 that was likely ragged out by the previous leasee.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 11:47 AM   #9
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Prius

lol if you cant afford the m3 your going to cry when you see gtr insurance and maintenance
      10-12-2011, 03:48 AM   #10
zazzn
Rep

who said I can't afford the m3?

Insurance is nothing I'm used to paying stupid high insurance in Ontario for no good reason.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 09:52 PM   #11
Ryebread
Diesel Fitter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d m-sport LMB

Garage List
I just got an m-sport D and love it. But I don't know of its right for you since you're that passionate about the track.

I am amazed at the balance of performance, luxury, efficiency of the D.

I can't stand the 996. The horrible headlamps are the main reason. I so like the 997 look but that car is Not practical enough for me. Even for a 2nd car.

Good luck!