E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Classifieds Section > FS: 6 week old MacBook Air i5

09-12-2011, 03:26 AM   #1
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

FS: 6 week old MacBook Air i5

So some of you may have seen my painful journey on this....but as much as I love the Air hardware, I dont think I can live with OS X.

I have boot camped it and ran Windows 7, but the poor apple drivers really dampen the experience which also defeats the point of the rapid Air hardware.

So a feeler really, I have all the receipts, boxes and the Air is as new.

MacBookAir i5, 128Gb ssd and 4GB ram running OSX Lion- RRP-£1099
These are still not available in the refurb store, so a rare chance to save some money on a Air!
http://store.apple.com/uk/configure/...uct=MC965B%2FA

I also have:

Apple BT Wireless keyboard - £59
Apple BT Magic Mouse - RRP - £59
Mini-display to DVI RRP - 15.

So, sensible offers welcome :-)

will upload a pic tonight...
      09-12-2011, 05:30 AM   #2
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Magic mouse has a new home offer, but have said i wont sell if/until the Laptop goes in case they want the whole bunder (or I have to keep it )
      09-12-2011, 05:49 AM   #3
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
You're like a mini-PC world .
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 06:02 AM   #4
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

I am getting as bad with PCs as you are with cars
      09-12-2011, 01:01 PM   #5
CHG
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: A Variety of 4 Wheeled Things

I'm tempted by the DVI adapter as I lost mine!

Gutted you're selling it

How much?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 02:35 PM   #6
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla p85d

OS X not for everyone

It does has some quirks but the most important thing is making sure nothing disrupts your work flow.

My new air is working out ok for me but it has crashed a couple of times. Hopefully it's a lion thing.

If you like the hardware there is always something like a dell 15z : http://www.dell.com/uk/business/p/xps-15z/fs
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 02:40 PM   #7
marriedblonde
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 330 sport

Can't believe you're not getting on with your air. I love mine, I also run boot camp for my windows app as the offices I normally work are windows based. But I seem to manage ok.

Looks like someone will get a bagain.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 01:27 AM   #8
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Well, thanks to a suggestion over PM I called the Apple store up - they may refund it, but cant promise anything until I go in, talk to them and I guess show them the laptop.

My problem is what do I replace it with...I need to go and look at the Samsung Series 9, but if it doesn't cut the grade I am not sure I could go back to my old Dell (I have been spoilt by Air) . the Samsung is getting very good reviews though.
      09-13-2011, 02:26 AM   #9
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by briers View Post
OS X not for everyone

It does has some quirks but the most important thing is making sure nothing disrupts your work flow.

My new air is working out ok for me but it has crashed a couple of times. Hopefully it's a lion thing.

If you like the hardware there is always something like a dell 15z : http://www.dell.com/uk/business/p/xps-15z/fs
Been keeping an eye on these, shame they don't do a 13" yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marriedblonde View Post
Can't believe you're not getting on with your air. I love mine, I also run boot camp for my windows app as the offices I normally work are windows based. But I seem to manage ok.

Looks like someone will get a bagain.
Love the hardware mate, but OS X is the niggle for me.

I managed ok with Windows 7 too, but for me it needs to be perfect and it's just limited to much (deliberately and perhaps understandable) by Apple..

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHG View Post
I'm tempted by the DVI adapter as I lost mine!

Gutted you're selling it

How much?
Thanks for the pm mate...will send you the dvi details later.
      09-13-2011, 02:43 AM   #10
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMP View Post
My problem is what do I replace it with...
I have no experience of them personally but if you're not in the 'budget' catagory aren't the Sony Vaios supposed to pretty good hardware? I know there's a problem with bloatware on them but nothing judicious use of 'Uninstall' or a clean W7 install wouldn't solve. A bit of an arse but tbh it's the first thing I do with any laptop.

Obviously another suggestion would be Lenovo. Superb kit.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 03:57 AM   #11
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

The new sony ultrabook looks amazing, but its price is too - £2k!!!

Perhaps to show my OCD issues here, i cant use Lenovo/IBM as they have the FN on the far left where the Ctrl key should be... lol
      09-13-2011, 06:12 AM   #12
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

Get tue dell 15z. Signify anti faster machine with a better screen, double the memory and far quicker processor, with a usable OS... All or a few hundred quid less!

The only downside is there's a 3 week lead time on them right now so you'd need to order before you return the air I guess..
      09-13-2011, 06:31 AM   #13
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla p85d

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA View Post
Get tue dell 15z. Signify anti faster machine with a better screen, double the memory and far quicker processor, with a usable OS... All or a few hundred quid less!

The only downside is there's a 3 week lead time on them right now so you'd need to order before you return the air I guess..
You need to put an SSD in it too, bumps up the price slightly but criminal not to with it's spec's.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 06:58 AM   #14
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA View Post

Too big mate, which is a shame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by briers View Post
You need to put an SSD in it too, bumps up the price slightly but criminal not to with it's spec's.
I don't think I can go back to a normal HDD now....SSD are awesome and so instant.

As is the UEFI instead of bios.
      09-13-2011, 09:48 AM   #15
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC.

Not really on-topic, but just a heads-up for those that like Apple kit, but don't like Apple prices.

Dixons Travel sell Mac's, and it is one of the few places to get a legal discount.
They normally sell for retail less the VAT - which is good for non-business users. The downside is that you need to be flying from somewhere where they have an airport shop. All are UK sourced and warranty is either Dixons (PC World/Currys) or Apple.
I've bought 3 so far for various friends and family. Had a problem with my son's Pro and it was sorted easily and quickly (trackpad replaced).

Phone them before you travel so they can get your exact model in for you - and get the price as they are sometimes shy at putting them on the website! IIRC for a fiver they'll even post it home for you - but you have to pay in the airport. Domestic flights qualify too.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 10:36 AM   #16
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Ok....

I need to take this off sale

Went to look at a Samsung Series 9 and its a good first effort at a ultra-portable, but not as nice as the (third generation) Air. And it just didn't make convince me enough in the 5 mins i played with it.

oh my god, what am I saying?

Well, I have made my bed, need to lie in it for a bit i guess. I have several big presentations next week and the Air is already to go - a new PC would need about a half a day of config, plus I have to find / order one I like

My view is in the next 12 months, the 2nd gen Windows ultra-portables will be worth a look, then add in Windows 8 and they could overtake Apple

But for now, I will 'tolerate' OS X and maybe try and hack Win7 boot camp more to get the drivers sorted.

Cheers,

Tim

p.s. thanks for the PM's and comments guys.