E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Classifieds Section > Part worn or new winter tyres

09-07-2011, 03:50 PM   #1
daviep.sco
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 2.0d SE

Part worn or new winter tyres

Hi all

I have been looking at winter tyres and noticed on ebay that there are some what seems like not bad deals on part worn winter tyres. I am on a bit of a tight budget these days so I wonder if anyone has ever bought any part worn winter tyres from ebay and what they are like? I am looking for a set of 205 55 16's

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 04:02 PM   #2
Billyray911
Brigadier General
Venezuela
Rep
Drives: Blah

I think one issue with buying second hand will be the date of manufacture of the tyres.
I'll probably be corrected,but I think that tyres that aren't used constantly ie seasonal use,will start to break down quicker and will only have a 4 year life span anyway.
There are good deals out there but buyer beware.
Brilliant investment though...
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 04:04 PM   #3
ed335d
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

There seems to be a general consensus that 4mm tread is where performance drops off.

I personally wouldn't, unless I could see what sort of state they were in, or if buying from a respected forum member.
      09-07-2011, 04:29 PM   #4
daviep.sco
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 2.0d SE

Hmmm intersting about the 4mm info thanks for that. I am just not sure is it worth buying just 2 tyres for the back or do you really need to get all 4?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 04:40 PM   #5
ed335d
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviep.sco View Post
Hmmm intersting about the 4mm info thanks for that. I am just not sure is it worth buying just 2 tyres for the back or do you really need to get all 4?
No good getting traction if you can't keep it in a straight line
      09-08-2011, 02:54 AM   #6
chesney72
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: JB4 G5 335i Sport Touring

I would say don't buy winters with less than 6mm especially on the rear. Be ok in the cold and ice but less grip in snow. Fronts are just as important as the rears. Lots of videos of how things can go badly if you only put them on the driven wheels.

I'm keeping an eye on ebay and lots of online places waiting for the prices to come down when the new stock comes in. I'd consider part worns for the front but think new for the rear is worthwhile as they do wear faster.

Saying that I ran a brand new set of nokian wr g2's last year and after about 8k miles the rears were down to just over 6mm (from 8mm) which isn't too bad and despite the usual mental snow up here I didn't get stuck once. Still need to take things easy though cos they are not studded full on ice/snow tyres (illegal in the uk anyway). Would love to try studded ones like they had fitted to a taxi we took in Finland, guy could corner as if it was just a wet road!!

Seems the online traders are wise to the new trend to put them on cos their prices are def a lot higher than last year. Annoyingly already starting to take the p1ss. Tyres I got for 110 last november are near 200 now??? Come on traders we're not that dumb. I would still have mine but up to 19's now so on hunt for a good deal
Appreciate 0