BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) Who's been to Canadian GP practice/qual?

08-26-2011, 09:00 PM   #1
ScotchAndCigar
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i space gray vert

Who's been to Canadian GP practice/qual?

I'm considering driving to Montreal next year for the Canadian GP, and I'm looking for info about attending Fri practice & Sat qual with gen admission tickets. I'd like to know how crowded these pre-race days get, and whether you think a general admission ticket would allow me to get around the track and get good views. Also, any other inside info would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 09:44 AM   #2
raisemyrent
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 428i xD GC

you definitely should be able to get a good spot during practice; qualy, not so much.
I did general admission in 2006, then grandstands in 2010 and 2011. I'm not quite sure that they sell tickets just for those 2 days, though. Please check the website (circuitgillesvilleneuve.com).
A friend of mine got over to the area between grandstands 11 and 12 (grass, circuit side) with a GA ticket, but I believe she was swapping tickets with her parents, who were in 11.
Either way, GA during the race will annoy you, the hardcore people will get there extremely early and take the 10sq ft that offer a good view, and you will end up regretting it the whole race (trying to spot a car through leaves and hats). I'm exaggerating a bit, some people swear by it, and it is the cheapest, but not the best "deal" IMO. If you're already there, might as well enjoy it.
It's easy to just say it, but my honest opinion would be to get a grandstand ticket at the hairpin for all 3 days.
last but not least, if you do go GA, make sure you have ample time to walk around and find the best area for you. the little chicane where Vettel went off at the last lap this year has good viewing spots, hairpin is always overcrowded, by the straight before the hairpin you won't see a thing, and as I said, get there early and see if you can make your way up to the turns 11 and 12 area.
sorry to rant, but hopefully you find this useful. It IS 7AM over here lol
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 10:09 AM   #3
ScotchAndCigar
Banned
United_States
Rep

Great info, not a rant at all. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 07:14 PM   #4
MontegoblueE92
Captain
Rep
Drives: It Like He Stole It

I had tickets to Grandstand 11 this year and on Friday I walked around the circuit to see the cars from different angles and hear them in different ways. Practice day is definitely not too crowded. Saturday is a bit of a different story. I walked down to the fence to see the cars from a low angle during Q1 and I managed to easily find a spot, but it's definitely more crowded than Friday. But yeah, as raisemyrent stated, I'm not sure if you'll be able to just find a Friday and Saturday ticket. Sunday is definitely a lot more expensive, but it's worth it to see cars really racing each other instead of the clock. And tbh, it would probably work out better to get all three days at once as opposed to trying to get single tickets.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 08:20 PM   #5
ScotchAndCigar
Banned
United_States
Rep

Yeah I don't know if I want to drop a grand for a pair of tix, so I was thinking about just checking out the pre raceday action. A few years back, I did 3 days at the Indy USGP, and I found the assigned raceday seats to be the least enjoyable. Practice was the best, as I was able to get close to the cars braking and cornering on track. But Montreal doesn't seem like a place where that would work. Thanks for the good info.
Appreciate 0