E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Headlight Broke under warranty, Dealer giving me hassle

08-19-2011, 12:15 PM   #1
Ocelaris
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Headlight Broke under warranty, Dealer giving me hassle

So the driver's side headlight has been in twice for service since we bought the car (we've had it a year and a half), and it just got out of regular warranty, and into CPO Extended warranty. One of the HID bulbs burned out, so I bought OEM ones and replaced them myself. Upon inspection of the headlight that they "fixed" twice, it was broken inside the headlight, plastic piece snapped off.

So I brought it in to get it replaced, and the Service Advisor said it wasn't covered under Extended Warranty as it was electronics. Fine, but we had brought the car in twice before when it was under regular warranty and they said they fixed it but didn't (I never checked, but assumed it wasn't broken as it was aimed correctly). Apparently there was a ticket in 2007, way before we bought the car for the same problem. They wanted $1500 to replace the headlight! It's like $700 on ebay for the part.

So the SA went back to the Warranty manager and he called me back, he said given the problems we had earlier he'd give us %15 off! WTF are you joking??? $1200 that's ridiculous. So the Warranty Manager is supposed to call me up and boy is he going to get an ear full.

If BMW didn't fix the problem the first 3 times the car has been in for repair, they're responsible for fixing it correctly if it's already been paid for under Warranty. This is BMW Manhattan btw, they're notorious for giving crap about repairs and not actually doing anything. It's ridiculous how much a PITA it is to get stuff fixed. Am I crazy?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 12:22 PM   #2
WWONG
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 xDrive35d

How can you not check if you brought it in twice and told them to fix it?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 12:37 PM   #3
Ocelaris
Private
United_States
Rep

It's not an obvious problem, the headlight aiming straight ahead seemed like they fixed it... I didn't even consider that an internal piece was totally broken and it was just sitting in there. I hadn't gotten my hands dirty with the car yet, and getting into the headlights requires taking off the wheels/fenders. I'll admit, my mistake, but when it appears to be fixed, I guess I was just trusting that there wasn't something major wrong that they patched up.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 03:33 PM   #4
Ocelaris
Private
United_States
Rep

So I called the BMW NA phone number, someone from customer service took my information, tried to get in touch with the dealership, and basically the dealer wouldn't budge over their "15% assistance". So they are submitting a claim to BMW NA corporate or something to see if they can get an "adjustment", or "assistance" if that's what they call it... very shady that they're careful not to admit to anything. It's pretty straight forward, If I had paid for work to be done, and they didn't actually fix it, they're liable to actually fix it. Just because it's under "warranty" doesn't mean I didn't pay for it. I bought a CPO and paid a couple grand over retail explicitly so I would have the warranty/guarantee of a good car. But when you go to make good on that promise, don't expect them to give it to you without a fight.

Just very discouraging that it has to go up the chain of command to get something fixed that they should have realized they made a mistake in the first place. There's no such thing as a hassle free warranty. They do the bare minimum to glaze over the problem. My mistake for not double checking their work, I won't be doing that again. I wouldn't be so upset if this wasn't the first problem they "fixed" which surfaced again a short while later (i.e. windshield washer fluid bottle empties out onto the garage floor after a drive). But I won't go into that.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 06:33 PM   #5
Gregxi
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535xi

In most states any warranty repair is covered for at least 1 year regardless of when the warranty on the vehicle runs out. so if your warranty expired tomorrow and you had a repair done today it would be covered until next year.
I am not familiar with NY law but spend some time on google and you should be able to get the info you need.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 06:58 PM   #6
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

This is obviously a troll. Look at the title--"Dealer giving me hassle." That never happens at BMW franchises. Probably a disgruntled Infiniti owner. Sheesh, like BMW dealers hassle their customers and deny warranty coverage. This is a BMW forum and we know that never hapens.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 07:58 PM   #7
Ocelaris
Private
United_States
Rep

I wish I were a troll!

Last edited by Ocelaris; 09-09-2011 at 11:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 08:16 PM   #8
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Wait so did you personally bring the car in for this issue? Or did they have records for it previously?

And you said you bought the car CPO? It should have been fixed before it was CPO'd but it is NOT covered under CPO if it were to happen after the CPO inspection.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 08:24 PM   #9
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 / F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
Wait so did you personally bring the car in for this issue? Or did they have records for it previously?

And you said you bought the car CPO? It should have been fixed before it was CPO'd but it is NOT covered under CPO if it were to happen after the CPO inspection.
+1

You should have a copy of your service records indicating that this was fixed many times in the past and now that it is being problematic should be evidence that it wasn't fixed properly in the past. (assuming you brought it in personally)

But yeah what ********* said.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 08:41 PM   #10
Legion5
Major
Rep
Drives: e92

If there was work done to the headlight in the past year it should be under the 1 year warranty BMW offers on all repairs.

Clean cars are happy cars!
CANON PHOTOGRAPHER
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 08:56 PM   #11
RaceBlood
Going nowhere fast.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2 wheels

Dealer is wrong

You have proof they had the car in service for the problem, 2 times, it was never repaired. You need to call BMW NA, and raise a stink. Call the BBB, and also talk to the GM, salesman, and get them on same page. How many miles on the car?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 09:15 PM   #12
Ocelaris
Private
United_States
Rep

I brought the car in twice for the problem, and it "seemed" fine, and honestly I was too lazy to get off my butt and start tearing the brand new car apart and check. My previous car, a civic, I had disassembled and put back together so many times I was hesitant to dive in on this new car... Nothing ever goes back together the same...

But the funny thing is the Service Advisor let one slip that it was in for that problem in 2007 (before we bought it)! Like it apparently had been a problem PRE CPO, and they didn't fix it. And since it takes a really big jolt to mess the lights up, it doesn't show up that often. Is there anyway to get a record of all the service done to the car before I bought it? I'd love to see what problems it had...

I did call BMW NA, and they're going to get back to me in a few days with a decision on any "assistance" they can provide... I hate that they call it that, "assistance". Makes me feel like a whiney bitch... honestly, if they don't pay for it, I'll just buy an OEM new light off ebay and do it myself, not worth 1200$.

Service date was Sept. 2nd 2010, bought the car on April 21st, warranty expired March 22 2011. Extended Warranty for CPO is good for another 2 years, but it begs the question if it doesn't cover "electronics" which seem to be the expensive things to fix, what good is it... I gotta reread the fine print.

Last edited by Ocelaris; 08-19-2011 at 09:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 10:17 PM   #13
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
^If you brought the car in yourself and you weren't basing that off service records then the dealer should cover it.

You shouldn't need to look over your car after getting it serviced. BMW trains their techs for a reason....some just don't care and those techs need to be fired.

I never get my car back in 100% perfect condition. There always something I need to adjust when I get the car back....
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 10:23 PM   #14
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five

Garage List
2007 BMW  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
This is obviously a troll. Look at the title--"Dealer giving me hassle." That never happens at BMW franchises. Probably a disgruntled Infiniti owner. Sheesh, like BMW dealers hassle their customers and deny warranty coverage. This is a BMW forum and we know that never hapens.
dealers give people hard times all the time. IDK what you are typing about
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 10:37 PM   #15
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrift4wd View Post
dealers give people hard times all the time. IDK what you are typing about
Pretty sure he was being sarcastic....
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2011, 07:58 AM   #16
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Isn't it a shame you can't just pick up two headlights on eBay for $68 new with free shipping, like on my 1998 Nissan? I got tired of cleaning the oxidation (it's a process that doesn't actually work very well, but gotta hand it to dealerships for latching on and offering this service at BMW and Audi). So I just got two new headlamps for $68 on eBay and now they're brand new! Broken fog was $37 when it lists for $250 (this is a Nissan). Life is better when there is an aftermarket....

I don't get why BMW dealerships don't just satisfy the customer. A headlight is nothing. Yes, the list is over $1000. But the part is made in China and really has a cost of next to nothing, maybe $250. Most cos. pay much more than that to satisfy a customer.

Look at the OP's service order. That f***** dealership can't even spell xenon (first it's zennon then it's zenon, then it's zennon again. No wonder they're middle-aged, paid hourly and get no benefits. Well that's what happens when you don't finish HS).
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 11:32 AM   #17
Ocelaris
Private
United_States
Rep

So this is basically finished, BMW Customer Relations won't call me back after 3 weeks of leaving messages every few days. And the customer relations lady , who I asked to get me in touch with him basically said to go F$*# myself after 10 minutes of trying to get any "assistance". I've called BMW Manhattan and BMW Mt. Kisco, which is where I bought the car from and who didn't fix the problem like they were supposed to originally. I'll never buy another BMW after this experience, little shit breaks all the time and the dealerships say they've fixed it, but unless you check their work, they don't. At this point I'll go back to a honda, it's not a nice car, but at least it doesn't break, or if it does it's cheap and easy to fix. All that's left now is to write a hand written letter to BMW NA.

Has anyone sued BMW NA for not honoring warranty? I'm just curious, I'm just so pissed that they skirted their responsibility until after regular warranty, that any judge would see they're liable for repairs they "supposedly" fixed under warranty.

Last edited by Ocelaris; 09-09-2011 at 12:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 11:40 AM   #18
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Dealerships are run by their own managnment. You can't sue BMW NA for this issue.

You may be able to sue the dealership, but you will waste more time and money trying to cope with your loss.

Not to be rude, but suck it up and move on. I see you tried a couple dealerships, but try another one.

BMW Manhattan has a bad rep to begin with. Don't got to BMW of Greenwich either. I had a bad experience there....some others have not but I personally will defer everyone from that stealership!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 11:58 AM   #19
johnnyboi418
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan 09

dealers are always like that they try to make up 1231324143 excuses not to fix your car. Might as well not offer warranty =]
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 12:27 PM   #20
Ocelaris
Private
United_States
Rep

yeah, it's time to move on, it's just my first BMW, and expectations were a bit higher than a normal car dealership, but fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. Just expect for dealerships to not do the work if it's expensive for them unless you fight tooth and nail.

Lesson learned, ALWAYS check their work.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 12:55 PM   #21
pat_03
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

Sorry to hi-jack this thread but not sure where to post this exactly...I recently had the adaptive headlight failure warning in my car, along with the blinking green light on the headlight switch. I had it scanned and was told I needed a new headlight. I have now installed the new headlight but the error is still there and adaptive function still does not work. If I disconnect the battery for a few mins will this help? Or do I need to have it re-coded to take the error away, or have I not fixed the problem?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 11:42 AM   #22
Ocelaris
Private
United_States
Rep

So update, I wrote a letter and sent it via regular mail to BMW Manhattan, BMW Mt. Kisco (where we bought the car), BMW NA, and our sales representative. I sent it Sunday, Friday morning my wife got a call (her name is first on the account) from someone in BMW NA asking her to send documentation (posted above) to her. I was about to fax it and she called and told me to ignore that, that they were going to cover it fully and to call someone at BMW Manhattan. I'm on hold for the guy right now.

Never underestimate the power of a well written letter.
Appreciate 0