E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > retro fitting stuff on a contract hire?

04-20-2007, 01:11 PM   #1
ZiM
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

Question retro fitting stuff on a contract hire?

hey peeps, if i wanted to retro fit something, how would it work? this is my first lease style deal i have always bought outright in the past (didn't have 40 odd grand sitting around for this one tho suprisingly enough)...

do you think it would be a case of paying the same amount as if i owned the car or rather would it change my monthlies?

thought i'd ask here as i don't like speaking to my dealer at the moment, but thats another story...
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 01:15 PM   #2
rjs
Major
England
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
'09 M3 (e93)  [10.00]
What kind of stuff are you wanting to retro-fit?

E93 M3
| Azurite Black | Extended Bamboo Leather | Piano Black Trim | 19" 220M Wheels | Shadowline Trim | Edition Grills
M DCT | HDD iDrive | EDC | Bluetooth | Front & Rear PDC | Heated Seats | DAB Radio | Hi-Fi Speakers | USB Audio | SmartTOP
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 01:18 PM   #3
ZiM
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

possibly the usb thing once i've had a play to decide if i like its user interface to my ipod and the hifi logic 7 jobby, the sound quality is less than impressive tbh...
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 03:11 PM   #4
Cafe.Racer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d Touring

Either don't tell them and just make sure that anything you do is tip-top, using BMW or trusted parts (can't imagine you doing anything else) so you don't get a problem, and trying where possible to make sure you can put it back as it was,

OR, ring up and ask. A few people I know have done this and been surprised at the response. I guess it depends on which Lease Co. it is.

My biggest worry if someone were to go for option one is if the dealer takes umberage with a problem you might have and tells the lease company, or refuses warranty work. That, I guess would depend on the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 03:20 PM   #5
ZiM
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

then maybe retro fit is the wrong phrase... i meant actually get them to do it...
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2007, 04:57 PM   #6
Cafe.Racer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d Touring

If, by "them", you mean a BMW dealer, I would just do it. Assuming you're paying for it yourself, it's not like you're fitting bonnet scoops.

If, by "them", you ,eam the Lease company, I would say you've got no chance . Even if you did have a chance or getting them to pay for it, it'd take so long to get it all worted and arranged, iPod will've been replaced by something else!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2007, 05:42 PM   #7
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiM View Post
hey peeps, if i wanted to retro fit something, how would it work? this is my first lease style deal i have always bought outright in the past (didn't have 40 odd grand sitting around for this one tho suprisingly enough)...

do you think it would be a case of paying the same amount as if i owned the car or rather would it change my monthlies?

thought i'd ask here as i don't like speaking to my dealer at the moment, but thats another story...
You would just go ahead and pay the cash price for any retro-fits.

You have an option then of taking them off at the end of the lease or handing them back in with the car.

No-one is going to complain if you have fitted the ipod interface, but if you fitted some mad bodykit the lease guys might whinge.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2007, 06:52 AM   #8
ZiM
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

hmm, i thought maybe the deal would be i pay the cash, but as a result of an increased residual value (however small), the monthly payments might go down (however little)...

ahh well...
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2007, 08:07 AM   #9
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: X5 g05

Garage List
Only slightly off topic...but I didn't think the iPod USB thing was retro-fittable anyway?

You could get it done at another dealer if you are worried about your dealer but I doubt the service manager has any idea whether it is leased, bought outright etc. etc. unless he has a reason to look.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2007, 11:17 AM   #10
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbmwz3 View Post
Only slightly off topic...but I didn't think the iPod USB thing was retro-fittable anyway?

You could get it done at another dealer if you are worried about your dealer but I doubt the service manager has any idea whether it is leased, bought outright etc. etc. unless he has a reason to look.
Yeah - as long as the dealer is getting paid for the work you want done, I can't see them complaining too much.
      04-22-2007, 12:08 PM   #11
Trigger2007
E93 320i M Sport
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport Convertible

Just to give you a quick over view on lease, as I run a fleet.

When you lease the car you can get whichever options you want, generally (And I use generally as it does vary from lease to lease) the options do not effect the residual value to any considerable length. The basic lease value of the option is the cost divided by the term. ie. if its £360 over 36 months, then its £10 extra each month.

You are also able to pay for options at the outset, but basically if they cannot be removed without leaving marks / holes ie they are part of the car, then you lose them. You can pay to have sat nav added, but you wont get it back at the end.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2007, 02:31 AM   #12
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiM View Post
hmm, i thought maybe the deal would be i pay the cash, but as a result of an increased residual value (however small), the monthly payments might go down (however little)...

ahh well...
No chance of this happening unfortunately.

But as said below the ipod 6fl thing is not retro-fittable (at the moment).
Appreciate 0