E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Convertible top malfunction...HELP!

08-12-2011, 06:04 PM   #1
ptebbe
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i convertible

Convertible top malfunction...HELP!

My convertible top has started giving me an error message when lowering the top. Instead of the green light going off, it stays on about 4 seconds too long and then the red LED comes on instead. Dash reads convertible top malfunction.

The top seems to mechanically open and clsoe just fine. I'm guessing it is a sensor malfunction or it is failing to lock the roof in the stowed-location. Even though it seems like the roof is stowed correctly, I'm afraid to drive like this because if it's not secure something might get damaged.

Does anyone know how to fix this? Can I just reset it in the iDrive somewhere? Rather not visit the deal as I'm just out of warrantee!

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 07:23 PM   #2
O HELLA BMW
I <3 My E93
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12” 335is vert

a smart thing you should have done is buy extended warranty, esp since you have a hardtop that costs around $15,xxx if it has to be replaced completely .. im glad i got the Platinum warranty that covers the hard top and lots of other parts

GL
      08-12-2011, 08:07 PM   #3
3lusive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 MINI JCW Hardtop

sounds similar to why my 135i conv was lemoned (before I bought it). It might be a different error though, the symptom was an error while operating the top saying hydraulic top overheated or something along that line. BMW bought the car back, replaced the whole convertible top and put it on sale again, where I picked it up for 13k off sticker when it's less than a year old.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2011, 11:17 AM   #4
ptebbe
Rep

Anybody with helpful replies? I think the sensor on the passenger side that detects when the deck lid is closed is not picking up reliably....every 8th or 9th time I open the top it's OK. Not sure if I can do anything with that sensor without the dealer's help.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2011, 11:22 AM   #5
AddictedToBavarian
My other ride is a Bianchi Infinito
Portugal
Rep
Drives: Miss my E92 but love my E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptebbe View Post
Anybody with helpful replies? I think the sensor on the passenger side that detects when the deck lid is closed is not picking up reliably....every 8th or 9th time I open the top it's OK. Not sure if I can do anything with that sensor without the dealer's help.
That's a bit unfair, 3lusive was offering an experience he had that might give you an idea. What do you want us to do? Say we are on our way to your house to fix it? Know your newbie roll man. (Don't take none of that as rude, just being honest)
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2011, 11:30 AM   #6
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328xi0wner View Post
That's a bit unfair, 3lusive was offering an experience he had that might give you an idea. What do you want us to do? Say we are on our way to your house to fix it? Know your newbie roll man. (Don't take none of that as rude, just being honest)
Give him a break
He is out of warranty, he is probably desperate. I know I would
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2011, 02:46 PM   #7
3lusive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 MINI JCW Hardtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328xi0wner View Post
I appreciate you trying to support me but yea my story was a little off base. Essentially boiling down to how I got a great deal on the car, not fixin his problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2011, 03:44 PM   #8
ptebbe
Rep

Sorry if that post came off a bit harsh. I had just hoped that there was a quick-fix that someone knew about, instead of having to involve the local dealer whom I do not trust. In the past I've been very close to driving 75 miles to the next-closest BMW dealer so as not to have to deal with them.

After the first two posts, I felt helpless rather than helped. I do have an extended warrantee, but there is a deductible on it. I'll probably take the car to the dealer this week, and when they feed me some BS story I'll take it somewhere else. Wish me luck.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2011, 08:48 PM   #9
mds54
E93 Raider
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is Convertible

Garage List
This has happened to me a few times. It seems to be related to the window positions...rising slightly when putting the top down. If I reset the top and windows, it works fine.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2011, 09:37 PM   #10
blueridger
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mds54 View Post
... If I reset the top and windows, it works fine.
What do you mean by reset the top and windows? How is that done? I've not experienced this problem, just want to be prepared should it occur.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2011, 08:40 AM   #11
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

There was someone on here that was resetting the top controller by unplugging it for a while (it is under the rear seat passenger side), disconnecting the battery for a few hours should also reset most things, so that might be worth a try also

Window reset procedure

Initialization comprises:
• Erasure of initialization
• Reinitialization

An initialization must be performed:
• In the event of malfunctions, e.g. no one-touch control function, no opening or if available no comfort function is possible
• After the power window drive has been replaced
• After work is carried out on the power window mechanism
• After a power supply interruption, e.g. disconnection of the battery or disconnection of the power supply to the door
• After the door window glass has been removed and installed or replaced
• After adjustment work on the door window glass
• After adjustment work on the convertible top
• After replacement of seals

Erasure of initialization:
• Open door window glass fully
• Operate power window switch in "Open" position four times within 10 seconds

This erases initialization of the power window, anti-trapping protection and toll function are inactive.
Check whether one-touch control (toll) function is inactive, otherwise repeat procedure.

Reinitialization:
Avoid a break between the two steps!
• Operate and hold power window switch in "Close" position (second switch stage)
• Once the upper end position has been reached, hold power window switch in "Close" position for approx. 2 seconds longer
• Operate and hold power window switch in "Close" position (second switch stage)
• Once the upper end position has been reached, hold power window switch in "Close" position for approx. 2 seconds longer
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2011, 08:05 PM   #12
mds54
E93 Raider
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueridger View Post
What do you mean by reset the top and windows? How is that done?....
Simply repeating the procedure....windows and top back up and then back down again. Works for me!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2011, 10:40 PM   #13
hookah66
dirigir é a minha paixão
United_States
Rep
Drives: e93 328c N52 3.0L cabriolet

Garage List
2002 325xi  [0.00]
2009 328i cabriolet  [0.00]
Did you check the center position of the micro switch by visor, driver side, top surface where it meets the plunger from the leading edge to the roof? The plunger is supposed to hit the micro switch as to disengage the hydraulic pump, so that the latch mechanism can be engaged. Does your top slam down before the malfunction develops? I have attached a service bulletin FYI.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf SIB_540607.pdf (84.5 KB, 1996 views)

Sou fanático por conversíveis...
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2023, 08:17 PM   #14
johnnymh4
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW E93/328i Convertible

I have a similar issue with my 2013 328i, but not quite the same:

The latches failing to lock seem to freeze the top in lowered position, but the top would move about halfway through the "up" cycle if I lifted the trunk lid. I released the pressure in the hydraulic pump to be able to lift the top back up fully without fighting the hydraulics. However, the top wouldn't latch while up either, leaving the seems unsealed; so I put it back down. As long as the car is rolling, the alarm sounds (same as seatbelt alarm) indicating "hardtop not locked." Attempting to raise or lower roof mechanically prior to releasing the hydraulic pump gave "roof movement impaired" alarm.

The windows will not raise either.

I've made sure the compartments in trunk are clear, turned the car off and on. In any case, this seems to be latch related.

Any DIY ideas on this?

Last edited by johnnymh4; 07-06-2023 at 08:18 PM.. Reason: Left out detail
Appreciate 0