E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > How much would it cost to repair this?

08-05-2011, 06:07 PM   #1
Vaheed1
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M Sport

How much would it cost to repair this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2007-BMW-3...6#ht_761wt_230
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2011, 06:11 AM   #2
Luke.S
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 325d M Sport

Well it was bad enough to warrant an airbag release so I will say a lot. Insurance would probably class that as a write off.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2011, 08:52 AM   #3
sheps
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

I think you'd need to spend a solid £10k on parts, labour and paint to make it look right - even then, someone with a good eye would spot it had been slammed.

I would be concerned with how straight a convertible was after a slam that hard - will the doors still line up properly? Will the roof work and seal as it should?

I often look at cars like this and think "is this a lower cost way to get into an amazing car?" But then I think to myself, if it's such an easy repair, why aren't the salvage companies repairing them and selling them as A1 cars?

Replaced by 6.2 litres of AMG powered C class.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2011, 09:18 AM   #4
Vaheed1
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheps View Post
I think you'd need to spend a solid £10k on parts, labour and paint to make it look right - even then, someone with a good eye would spot it had been slammed.

I would be concerned with how straight a convertible was after a slam that hard - will the doors still line up properly? Will the roof work and seal as it should?

I often look at cars like this and think "is this a lower cost way to get into an amazing car?" But then I think to myself, if it's such an easy repair, why aren't the salvage companies repairing them and selling them as A1 cars?
Interesting points about the structure damage and effect on rigidity afterwards, baring in mind it's a convertible.

I wouldn't ever buy a damaged car myself - but I'm more interested in how much this guy and a perspective buyer would make in profit from respected sales (if indeed there is any).

What constitutes as a 'write off' these days? You see some cars and it's literally a couple of new panels and they're nearly brand new. Surely getting them repaired would be a better (and cheaper) option for an insurance company, no?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2011, 09:49 AM   #5
buckethead
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 320d msport

its not a write off because the insurance company ask's if you will sell them your car

i had a lexus is200 once and could not believe my luck when someone crashed into the rear anyway i get a call off the insurance company asking if i would sell them my car as it was not a right off but with hire car cost's at over a grand a week it would be better for them to buy the car

now i payed 5 grand for this car and they gave me 7 grand......

2 weeks later i get a call from the guy who brought the lexus asking if i've got any bill's etc to back up the service history for this car

so he pick's up the service history and ask's a little about the car then i find out he payed 5 grand for the car which need's 3 grand worth of repairs ok he said he's uncle had a garage so it's going to cost less

so the insurance company don't right off car's that should be so they make more money selling them on and that bm should be a cat D so someone will get tucked up down the line because of a greedy insurance company nice...

Last edited by buckethead; 08-07-2011 at 06:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2011, 09:23 PM   #6
11ker
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 320d M-Sport

2k max...including parts labour and spray..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2011, 09:42 PM   #7
Sportplus
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 318i M Sport E91

My GF had a small prang and it cost over 3 grand (new bumper, headlight and crossbeam thingy that sits behind the bumper and re-spray). That needs a new bonnet, wing, headlight, front fogs, grills and whatever suspension parts that might be goosed. My guess would be 6-7 grand.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 06:03 PM   #8
mattchubb1
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 330i SE, E30 325iSE

my wife had a convertible as a company car which had a small ding in the back before she had it.

When it rained and the car was parked a certain way - the roof would always leak! apparently the ding before she got the car wasn't that close to the roof mechanism... but one mechanic said it only needs a small knock to send out the alignment....
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2011, 05:38 AM   #9
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

Looks minor.
But if the strut leg is damaged, then the turret top may need a pull too.
The monococque is folded so will require a new panel letting in.
About 6k and 30hrs for that I reckon, making it pointless on a 2007 car.

S.