BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board "The Hire" - film by BMW will end a 4 1/2 year internet run

10-11-2005, 03:22 PM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

"The Hire" - film by BMW will end a 4 1/2 year internet run

THE HIRE - THE ACCLAIMED FILM SERIES BY BMW - WILL END A FOUR AND A HALF YEAR INTERNET RUN OCTOBER 21ST
10/11/2005

Woodcliff Lake, NJ, October 11, 2005…BMW announced today that its award-winning internet short-film series, The Hire, will end its internet run on October 21, 2005. The debut of the first two films inThe Hire series was online in 2001. The third film entitled, "The Follow," by Wong Kar Wai, made its debut at the Cannes Film Festival in May 2001 to international acclaim. The Hire was one of the leading examples of convergence in the media industry - an unprecedented, groundbreaking effort. In total, eight films were created in the series. And, since its debut, The Hire has received more than 100 million film views.

BMW took its place alongside the major movie studios with the production of The Hire short-film series on the internet, bringing together high-level talent from a number of diverse fields - a synergistic effort that crossed and pushed boundaries. Key producers included David Fincher, Ridley and Tony Scott. Other prominent directors that made up the dream team included John Frankenheimer, Ang Lee, Wong Kar-Wai, Guy Ritchie, Alejandro González Iñárritu, John Woo, Joe Carnahan.

The Hire has been showered with praise. The New York Times said, "The BMW films tingle with zest," while Time Magazine added, "It surely deserves the attention of discerning movie watchers." In 2002, the Cannes International Advertising Festival awarded The Hire with the Cyber Lion Grand Prix prize. Additional accolades include the "Best Excuse for Broadband" award at WIRED Magazine's third annual Rave Awards in 2001 and the 2002 Los Angeles International Short Film Festival's "Best Action Short" award, which was given to director John Woo for Hostage, the sixth film in The Hire. In 2003, The Hire series was inducted into the permanent collection of the Museum of Modern Art (MOMA).

BMW took its non-traditional approach one step further by creating DVDs of the films, and distributing them in a targeted fashion at no cost to key audiences. One of BMW's first forays into this arena was the distribution of The Hire Season One DVD with issues of Vanity Fair magazine. This distribution helped create additional buzz for the film within a key audience. The full DVD collection (with all eight films) was unveiled at The Palais des Festival during the 2003 Cannes Film Festival.

DVD distribution was just one of the non-traditional ways in which BMW reached out to its essential alpha groups. BMW was also one of the first companies to partner with TIVO on a project such as The Hire. In another innovative move, BMW also created its own The Hire cable TV channel.

"What began as a "big idea" grew into a cutting edge, first-of-its-kind entertainment event that was unprecedented in our industry," said Jack Pitney, Vice President Marketing for BMW of North America. "We are proud that The Hire had more than 100 million film views." Jack adds, "BMW prides itself in creating innovative, high-impact marketing initiatives. We continually evaluate the effectiveness and value of each element while we simultaneously strive to search for new and fresh avenues to open communication channels with consumers. While today we may be talking about the end of The Hire, you can be sure that BMW is working on new approaches to bring the brand to life in innovative ways."

For anyone not familiar with the series of short movies BMW produced, here's the link... definitely fun stuff. Now we need a movie with an e90 in it

http://usa.bmwfilms.com/clap.asp?tem...&film=&start=Y
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2005, 07:21 PM   #2
Petercat
Cat Herder
United_States
Rep
Drives: LR3, again...

It's because BMW has ended their Advertising relationship with Fallon. Kind of a big deal here in Minneapolis, the home of Fallon.
I had the Fallon web team come give a little presentation to my students just when they launched "The Hire", I still have the original post card at my desk. It was a very cool experience. That campaign was pretty awesome, but I'm not so sure how it impacted BMW sales/image.
      10-11-2005, 10:15 PM   #3
THE JEDI
Major
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 2.5i

They are coming out with another series, of hire films.............SHHHHHH, Spike lee is making one...The Jedi
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2005, 01:49 AM   #4
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

Guys, remember that all current BMW owners are eligible for a complimentary The Hire DVD. Just log in at the Owner's Circle and click on "Last chance to Get The Hire DVD" on the right side.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2005, 11:01 PM   #5
romeo26
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e30 325 (no lette)

they should make on with the e90!! that would be cool. i dont think they shouldent end the hire because they have new cars to play with. i still like to watch the old ones.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2005, 01:05 AM   #6
maq
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MTA Monthly Pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petercat
It's because BMW has ended their Advertising relationship with Fallon. Kind of a big deal here in Minneapolis, the home of Fallon.
I had the Fallon web team come give a little presentation to my students just when they launched "The Hire", I still have the original post card at my desk. It was a very cool experience. That campaign was pretty awesome, but I'm not so sure how it impacted BMW sales/image.
Agreed. The campaign produced some of the best ads/commercials in the industry, and BMW NA wouldn't have the image they have today (KKB's Best Brand for 06 award says more than enough) without Fallon. In the marketing world, the campaign has gained legendary status for its ground breaking works during the past decade.

I did not see the split coming, as I truely believe Fallon is capable of creating BMW's "next big thing" in marketing/advertising. But I can understand why Fallon said no to BMW NA's new marketing cheif -- put it this way, if the brand status starts falling in the future, it's entirely BMW NA's fault. Personally, I highly doubt that BMW could find a better or equally good agency. Let's see which firm they will finally decide on.

On a side note, IIRC, exactly the same thing happend to one of BMW NA's previous ad agencies in the early 90's: the campaign produced excellent works which gave tremendous help to BMW's sales, then BMW wanted the agency to compete with other firms for the account (so they can spend less). That particular agency was named Agency of the Year for standing up and saying no to BMW, and the next agency BMW went to was proved to be a total disaster.

Last edited by maq; 10-14-2005 at 01:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2005, 01:47 AM   #7
RyBMW
Major
Rep
Drives: X5

Garage List
2012 BMW X5  [0.00]
2008 335i  [0.00]
If you watched the movie directed by Ang Lee, at the end, the child gives Clive Owen a "Hulk" band-aid. Well actually the child gives it to him at the beginning, in a small box. This was before Ang Lee directed "The Incredible Hulk" movie.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2005, 06:40 PM   #8
Petercat
Cat Herder
United_States
Rep
Drives: LR3, again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimshimhada
Guys, remember that all current BMW owners are eligible for a complimentary The Hire DVD. Just log in at the Owner's Circle and click on "Last chance to Get The Hire DVD" on the right side.
Thanks for the heads-up... Just logged in and requested mine now. What a nice gift.
      10-23-2005, 07:28 PM   #9
cdheaven
I'm Starving , So I Guess You Are What You Eat
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

im such an idiot!! 20 days ago i read this, downloaded the first one, and promised i was gonna download the other ones at home. but i waited too long. where can i get them now?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2005, 03:44 AM   #10
Dnz
Rep
Drives: '94 325i w/M-Tech

I have asked someone to copy me the DVD into pal, but that doesnt work.

Someone could maybe copy the DVD (again the guy who tried for me said its encrypted/the files are organised so they cant copy properly).

I do have all the bmw movies in WMV on a CD... If no one else can offer em, ill copy it and send it to ya if ya like. Just paypal me shipping or whatever once it gets there?

Otherwise you should be able to find them online with google, or file sharing programmes..
Appreciate 0