BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) F1 Circuits Team Up

06-28-2011, 11:47 AM   #1
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

F1 Circuits Team Up

Naming Ron Walker(Australian GP Corp Chairman) as their spokeman, a majority of the F1 Circuits have teamed up to strengthen their position in negotiation.

Basically, it seems they want a piece of the pie. Which doesn't seem so unreasonable.

http://pitpass.com/44061-Analysis-Th...f-the-circuits
      06-28-2011, 02:18 PM   #2
ianbiz
Back in a BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i Msport

about time...
      06-28-2011, 02:46 PM   #3
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
whatever it takes to keep the v8's
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 04:06 PM   #4
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

I would actually like to see some engine developement though.

The engines, while great have been halted for too long. Keep the V8s and let them make them better!
      06-28-2011, 04:26 PM   #5
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Redevelopment of a new engine (even if its smaller size), is going to drive up the cost of development of Formula and put a certain burden on the teams (especially the smaller ones).

I'd rather they push further in optimizing the current 2.4 liter V8 in terms of fuel economy, reliability, weight, experiment in exotic materials and components (thus makes future cars better like how common CF and aluminum/magnesium in normal road cars nowadays). Also, Fuel supplier can also experiment higher density fuels or changing its component to reduce emission and runs cleaner...etc....

It might not as obvious as saying "oh we as formula 1 runs smaller engines and achieve fuel savings", but I just believe this could make F1 a bit greener without a big expense in new engines.
      06-28-2011, 05:03 PM   #6
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
Redevelopment of a new engine (even if its smaller size), is going to drive up the cost of development of Formula and put a certain burden on the teams (especially the smaller ones).

I'd rather they push further in optimizing the current 2.4 liter V8 in terms of fuel economy, reliability, weight, experiment in exotic materials and components (thus makes future cars better like how common CF and aluminum/magnesium in normal road cars nowadays). Also, Fuel supplier can also experiment higher density fuels or changing its component to reduce emission and runs cleaner...etc....

It might not as obvious as saying "oh we as formula 1 runs smaller engines and achieve fuel savings", but I just believe this could make F1 a bit greener without a big expense in new engines.
+1. Personally, I would rather see a return to the engine wars of the '90s and early 2000s. If you want to make it more environmentally safe, limit fuel consumption or CO2 emissions, set limits on fuel tank sizes, or whatever. Limiting RPM really makes the sport feel stagnant and artificial.

If engine development is too expensive, then just have the FIA produce a single engine to be used by all teams (like the FIA-produced ECUs). This 'halfway ground' with engine development for a year followed by homologation for the next 5-6 years is just pointless and silly. Especially since teams that are 'behind' are given the opportunity to catch up, while other teams are held constant (eg. Renault last year).
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 05:33 PM   #7
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

This is really going to derail the thread but, during the BBC F1 Forum (post-race) the BBC team (Coulthard, Jordan, Humphrey) grabbed Andrian Newey and talked to him some and were able to drag out alittle information from him about the engine situation.

The whole story is that the original proposition for 4cylinder turbos was with interest towards Audi coming into F1. Audi pretty much demanded the 4cylinder format. F1 agreed and then Audi backed out. So, then F1 was left with the pieces of a shattered deal. Which lead to the V6 compromise.
      06-28-2011, 10:00 PM   #8
raisemyrent
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 428i xD GC

honestly guys, I think F1 should be about all the different engines and manufacturers. otherwise why are they there? it could just be the one manufacturer like in the US. I think freezing engines is kind of stupid, they did it to costs cuts, so I get it. but it goes against the whole principle. I don't know what the solution is, maybe no change where none is needed? how about the tyres? do they recycle those? they sure go through a lot.
it's important to note that the cosworth is not the renault and that is not the mercedes, so even with the freeze, there are still diffrences.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 11:01 PM   #9
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
The whole story is that the original proposition for 4cylinder turbos was with interest towards Audi coming into F1. Audi pretty much demanded the 4cylinder format. F1 agreed and then Audi backed out. So, then F1 was left with the pieces of a shattered deal. Which lead to the V6 compromise.
F*CK AUDI!

Compromise schmompromise. Keep the 8's
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 08:17 AM   #10
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanness View Post
F*CK AUDI!

Compromise schmompromise. Keep the 8's
Well, the problem is that Renault got attached to the 4 banger idea. And then it was hard for them to let go.