E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Biz owners - Good Debit/Card Online Merchant?

06-23-2011, 03:55 PM   #1
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

Biz owners - Good Debit/Card Online Merchant?

Any recommendations guys, this seems a real minefield of differing charges.
As we are a startup, seems to limit options as well.

Customer payments will be taken from debit and credit - between £75-150.

I also need to be able to handle larger payments say £1000-£5000. This rules out credit cards charged at a percentage (unless I pass on - not happy at this). So BACS transfer is another free option as well. If I can get a debit card for a fixed fee that will work.

Cheers
      06-23-2011, 04:01 PM   #2
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

The most obvious suggestion would be WorldPay I guess?

A good cheap one if you are smaller than that is SecureHosting, who I've used in the past.

They provide their own server which you forward your sales requests to. It is less flexible as you have to set up some of the product information using web forms on their site.. But the flipside of that is that they provide all the certification steps etc so it's Thawte/Verisign verified without you having to worry too much about it.

cheapest possible option for the low cost payments would be paypal integration on the site.

For some further "light reading" .. you could investigate the payment gateways that osCommerce provide out of the box. They are all decent systems really.
      06-24-2011, 02:28 AM   #3
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks mate, will take a look.

For pci reasons defo want to pass thru the processing....
      06-24-2011, 02:31 AM   #4
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

SagePay is good too.
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 03:02 AM   #5
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
SagePay is good too.
+1

And Barclays EPDQ. Was trying to remember the name last night but I couldn't bring it to the fore. We used this one a few years ago for a customer site; I seem to remember it being quite expensive though for what was a much more basic system than SagePay/WorldPay.

times have changed though it was several years ago. Could be much better now.

HTH
      06-24-2011, 09:51 AM   #6
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
We use Worldpay here at work, have done for 8-9 yrs now.

The online merchant interface is pretty easy to fill out - usual stuff - name, cardholders address, etc - then add in the cost, and invoice ref and the card details - it processes and approves in a few seconds.

About a minute later you get an email showing any inconsitent characteristics, such as incorrect address or post code whatever - important if sending high value goods to non-cardholders addresses.

Payments are then bulked together and paid into our account on a weekly basis - an electronic statement is also received detailing each transaction and what charged have been put against the transaction - eg 56p for a debit card or a little more for credit cards.

Payment is about 2-3 weeks behind though so they do hang onto the money for a short while.

never had a chargeback in all the time we have used them - transactions total around £600-1000 per week.

Hope this helps?!

Paul
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 10:18 AM   #7
KadeSdad
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E350 CDI Sport Cabriolet

Secure Trading. Don't like how World Pay takes the customer off site to process payment. With secure trading you can seamlessly integrate the whole payment process from within your site.

We lose far too much business because of World Pay all our new stuff is going Secure Trading
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 02:19 PM   #8
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

World pay- don't really want to send users off site (not good customer experience) and as Marcus rightly says you could loose the lead.
Also don't like the idea of them holding onto my payments for 3 weeks...

SecureTrading looks a good option for within the wbsite...Marcus, do you mind sharing rates (pm if you are).?
      06-24-2011, 03:21 PM   #9
CHG
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: A Variety of 4 Wheeled Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
SagePay is good too.

We recommend SagePay too!

We don't use it ourselves (not really a credit card business) but we use Sage accounting software which is probably Industry standard! It integrates very well, and would definitely recommend you to look into it.

I can put you in touch with my contact as Sage if you like? Might be able to sort you out a deal
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 08:44 PM   #10
Sir_Pigley
Captain
Rep
Drives: 640d GC / 420i XDrive

Garage List
I have used Secure Trading for 6 years. Negotiated a fixed monthly fee of £15. Whether you can do the same may depend on sales volumes.

The other option us Protx which may be SagePay now?

Also of you join the FSB you can get substantially reduce merchant account costs with Streamline.

Pm me if you need more info or help with all this.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2011, 02:07 AM   #11
KadeSdad
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E350 CDI Sport Cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMP View Post
World pay- don't really want to send users off site (not good customer experience) and as Marcus rightly says you could loose the lead.
SecureTrading looks a good option for within the wbsite...Marcus, do you mind sharing rates (pm if you are).?
Depends on volume. We put through around £750k - £1m a year through Streamline / RSB World Pay and get great rates, as JD says join the FSB (Small Federation of Businesses) its about £170. Saved us over £7k in charges in our first year and we get the lowest rates available. SecureTrading matched the rates so its a no brainer for us.

Through the likes of World Pay, ProTox, SecureTrading, SecPay etc a new starter will pay approximately between 2.5% - 3% on all credit cards and between £0.50p and £1.00 debit cards (all per transaction). AMX (American Express) is the same around 3%. You will also pay a minimum monthly fee with all these types of providers, think World Pay is £25 a month.

And of course you'll need a merchant ID in place before you can use any of these types of payment processor.

The payment sites that are all in one will charge much higher rates so beware, but if you aren't doing much volume than this can work out cheaper as it offsets the set up cost involved with the others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMP View Post
Also don't like the idea of them holding onto my payments for 3 weeks...
Not too sure who told you that? It used to be in the old days but we get from transaction on site to our bank in under 3 days.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2011, 05:15 AM   #12
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Isn't it ironic...so much focus on getting us to pilot launch that I am only getting around to setting up payments now!

Mechant ID...missed that mate, what do I need to do for that one?

Ahaaha, yes my bank suggested I go to FSB as they will provide the best rates for a startup. Perhaps this is the best option as what you guys are saying is I need proven volume to then get better rates elswhere?

Cheers guys and JD may indeed PM for help
      06-25-2011, 05:16 AM   #13
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KadeSdad View Post
Depends on volume. We put through around £750k - £1m a year through Streamline / RSB World Pay and get great rates, as JD says join the FSB (Small Federation of Businesses) its about £170. Saved us over £7k in charges in our first year and we get the lowest rates available. SecureTrading matched the rates so its a no brainer for us.

Through the likes of World Pay, ProTox, SecureTrading, SecPay etc a new starter will pay approximately between 2.5% - 3% on all credit cards and between £0.50p and £1.00 debit cards (all per transaction). AMX (American Express) is the same around 3%. You will also pay a minimum monthly fee with all these types of providers, think World Pay is £25 a month.

And of course you'll need a merchant ID in place before you can use any of these types of payment processor.

The payment sites that are all in one will charge much higher rates so beware, but if you aren't doing much volume than this can work out cheaper as it offsets the set up cost involved with the others.

Not too sure who told you that? It used to be in the old days but we get from transaction on site to our bank in under 3 days.
Paul mentioned three weeks above for wordpay. 3 days i like