E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Best Insurance Deals

04-03-2007, 08:56 AM   #1
stevew
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 325i M-Sport

Question Best Insurance Deals

Anyone get any good info on best deals at the monment for car insurance for my E92 325i SE?

Best I've found (using confused.com) is £294.28 (£314.23 with legal prot.) with MORE TH>N. Anyone had any experiences with MORE TH>N (good or bad)?

BMW Insurance want approx £100 more.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2007, 09:01 AM   #2
ZiM
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

normally for me elephant and tesco come out cheapest but this time bmw pipped them at the post...

Si.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2007, 09:28 AM   #3
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: X5 g05

Garage List
My quote on a 335d was over 700 quid, but that might be to do with me having 6 points and my wife having had a couple of (non fault) accidents. That was via confused.

Having said that, my current E46 convertible is over 1k but a big chunk of that is all the extra stuff on it.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2007, 12:46 PM   #4
matlough
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i Saloon

Try RAC Insurance.

Funnily enough BMW were cheaper for me (335i E90) than all of them including confused.com!
      04-03-2007, 03:34 PM   #5
Slaz
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 330d SE Montego Blue

Garage List
I know everyone is different, and I think that timing is often a factor as well, but Privilege were head and shoulders cheaper than all the other quotes I had. Definitely suggest getting a quote from them.
      04-03-2007, 04:28 PM   #6
RockIt
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: Mercedes C350 Coupe

Garage List
I've given up trying to apply any logic to insurance quotes. Mine's due in a couple of weeks and I've had anything from £466 to over £2000! (Protected no claims and legal protection with low voluntary excess). I expected my premium to to rise this year due to having made a claim for damage, but it went down! Tried BMW and they came in at over £800, so not too impressed with that. Don't think I've tried Privilege, so I'll give them a go.

Edit (Just checked Privilege...over £750!)

RockIt!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2007, 01:33 PM   #7
matlough
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaz View Post
I know everyone is different, and I think that timing is often a factor as well, but Privilege were head and shoulders cheaper than all the other quotes I had. Definitely suggest getting a quote from them.

THANK YOU!!!

Just got a quote from them - £626, less than my cheapest so far & with only £100 excess, protected no claims, legal protection and free business use!!!
      04-05-2007, 02:11 PM   #8
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
You tried these:-

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/motor/

Zurich People's Choice Post Office
Screentrade Barclays Budget
Lloyds TSB AA Insurance Its4me
Kwik Fit Marks & Spencer Sainsbury's Bank
Dial Direct More Than ASDA
Norwich Union Direct Swiftcover Quinn Direct

Plus many more...
      04-09-2007, 11:28 AM   #9
gordonrp
Awaiting delivery!
England
Rep
Drives: 2007 330I SE

Dang, just got mine through BMW at £1900, £100 cheaper than churchill and most other places wouldnt insure me with 2 years DL, 1 NCB. Sucks to be a young driver.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2007, 01:06 PM   #10
mgarvey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Renault Megane

When buying insurance, watch out for their small print. For example, my E91 is insured with Elephant, which I just carried over from my previous car.

However, it turns out Elephant won't insure what they term as 'modifications'. Now I'd understand if they were unwilling to insure bad boy exhausts or aftermarket alloys, but such modifications include factory fitted 17" wheels (or anything other than the standard 16" jobs on SE-spec cars).

When I discovered this, I said to them 'I've got metallic paint too - does that mean my paint isn't insured?'. They actually had to check that before saying paintwork was covered.

Suffice to say I'll be changing insurance policies next time!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2007, 07:48 AM   #11
CardinalZeus77
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.2 Carrera S

Garage List
BMW Insurance matched the cheapest quote I had from Norwich Union.
Sold: F80 M3 Black Sapphire/Sakhir Orange
Sold: E92 M3 Jerez Black/Fox Red Leather
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2007, 08:16 AM   #12
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
Hows BMW re the small print - i.e Leather options etc?
      07-05-2007, 04:03 AM   #13
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport, F15 X5 40d

Sorry to drag this thread up from the murky past!

Am getting ahead of the game and sorting out insurance for my 335d, most companies hold quotes for 60 days so if I get a quote now it will be valid for my 1st September delivery.

I am frustrated by most online quotes I have received for a variety of reasons:
- Most seem to insist on a tracking device (inc BMW Ins)
- It is unclear whether they regard £5000 of factory fitted extras as modifications.
- Most of their databases (inc BMW) do not have the 335d M Sport Coupe in the system (it is has been out 4 months)

The cheapest quote I have (41yo living in a low risk area, clean licence full NCB) is £423 (with legal cover and protected NCB). This is with BMW but they insist on a Tracker. RAC was £530 without a tracker. (this was for the E90 as there was no E92)

What are the recent experiences of others with insurance, particularly with regards to Tracker requirement. I dont really want to have to fork out hundreds of pounds extra for something that only really benefits the insurance company.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2007, 04:35 AM   #14
DervFan
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW (E91) 325d M Sport Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg1965 View Post
Sorry to drag this thread up from the murky past!

Am getting ahead of the game and sorting out insurance for my 335d, most companies hold quotes for 60 days so if I get a quote now it will be valid for my 1st September delivery.

I am frustrated by most online quotes I have received for a variety of reasons:
- Most seem to insist on a tracking device (inc BMW Ins)
- It is unclear whether they regard £5000 of factory fitted extras as modifications.
- Most of their databases (inc BMW) do not have the 335d M Sport Coupe in the system (it is has been out 4 months)

The cheapest quote I have (41yo living in a low risk area, clean licence full NCB) is £423 (with legal cover and protected NCB). This is with BMW but they insist on a Tracker. RAC was £530 without a tracker. (this was for the E90 as there was no E92)

What are the recent experiences of others with insurance, particularly with regards to Tracker requirement. I dont really want to have to fork out hundreds of pounds extra for something that only really benefits the insurance company.
I went with RAC at around £450 mark, 34 yo low risk area with clean license, full NCB - but two no-fault claims, one me, another the mrs ).

RAC didn't request Tracker, just Thatcham Cat 1 alarm system (eg Factory fit). Also AFAIK 'options' do not count as 'modifications', eg: you should only declare things that deviate from OEM supplied options. FWIW this is what Elephant and RAC told me anyhow

You could always look at GAP/Return to Invoice in case the insurance company are funny buggers in the event of a claim to cover your options
      07-05-2007, 06:49 AM   #15
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Try privelege. I found them to be as good as all but the very cheapest confused quotes and also don't insist on tracking and DO include extras and if you persevere will list them all on the policy/in their notes field on their database. They also, IIRC, replace your car with a brand new one in first year if it is a write-off. I don't bother with trackers, and I found that often insurers don't (or didn't last time I checked) make a big deal of having them/discounting for them...might be wrong now but didn't come up when I was looking a few months ago.

I was surprised as privelege weren't on my radar as I don't think they came up on Confused. Confused is ALL about price - I used to think it was great but now I just use it as a guide then download and compare policy docs for the kind of points you list above.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2007, 09:18 AM   #16
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport, F15 X5 40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbmwz3 View Post
Try privelege. I found them to be as good as all but the very cheapest confused quotes and also don't insist on tracking and DO include extras and if you persevere will list them all on the policy/in their notes field on their database. They also, IIRC, replace your car with a brand new one in first year if it is a write-off. I don't bother with trackers, and I found that often insurers don't (or didn't last time I checked) make a big deal of having them/discounting for them...might be wrong now but didn't come up when I was looking a few months ago.

I was surprised as privelege weren't on my radar as I don't think they came up on Confused. Confused is ALL about price - I used to think it was great but now I just use it as a guide then download and compare policy docs for the kind of points you list above.
I have just got a quote from Privilege was was very good. (£349 with protected NCB, £350 voluntary xs and legal cover) Although the quote only lasts 30 days instead of the usual 60 that most others offer. As you say, after speaking to them, optional extras are covered. I also found out that a Tracker IS a mandatory requirement on a car valued at over £40K. Mine comes in at £40384, so I will put the value at £39,999 and take out a GAP policy, which I was going to do anyway. This doesnt constitute anything unlawful that will invalidate the policy does it? The valuation will obviuosly be 5K lower the moment I drive it off the forecourt anyway.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2007, 10:06 AM   #17
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Wow that is bloomin good - my car E90 335d with 5k of extras valued at approx 37k (effectively what I paid for it) is about 700 quid to ensure IIRC. But then I *do* have 6 points in past 5 years, my wife has 2 accidents (1 fault). Not sure to what extent that makes up the difference!!!

Where did you get the 40384 figure from ? Is that RRP or what you are paying?

I'd be a bit careful with insurance companies. Say your car gets nicked, and the insurance company asks to see the original invoice. With my insurance company claims person hat on I'd be rubbing my hands...."So Mr Peterg1965, I presume you can demonstrate that a tracker was fitted on your car as the invoice puts it at a greater than 40k value"......."No?"...."Well in that case you have not given us a true picture of the risk and therefore we'd like to throw out your claim". May be a bit far fetched but why risk it for the price of a tracker? To me the tracker (if it means all is above board with your insurance) is of more value than a GAP policy which probably costs as much if not more!? You don't need a GAP policy in the first year if Privelege have a "brand new car in first year and we insure the extras" policy ??!

RE: "The valuation will obviuosly be 5K lower the moment I drive it off the forecourt anyway.", Unfortunately we can't have it both ways on this. If you wrote off the car while driving off the forecourt would you be happy with 35k back ? If you expect them to replace your car at full value in first year then presumably £40384 is what you should be quoting?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2008, 12:36 PM   #18
Snooky
Major
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5 Sportback Carbon Blac

Insurance and Optional extras

3 weeks to go until I get my 335i and I am arranging a cover note from my insurance co so the stealer can tax the car etc.

My insurance is with Elephant.co.uk and when I was talking them through the spec (I told them about my 19" wheels etc etc) and they told me "thats fine sir, just to let you know that the optional extras will not be covered by your policy".

This was news to me and I tried to flesh out the point but I was speaking to someone in a call centre in the sub-continent and got no satisfaction at all . I thought you tell them the extras, they charge you even more money and you are covered.....

Anyone shed any light on the above? Have I just chosen a duff insurance co?

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2008, 01:12 PM   #19
DaveC
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330 Touring

Sounds very duff to me, the policy should cover the car at the value you tell them the car is worth - suppose you had individual paint would they fix any accident but only repaint in a standard colour?

Madness.

Check it with someone who knows what they are talking about and if they stick to that story then find someone else.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2008, 01:20 PM   #20
ShereKhan
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e M Sport MY20

Garage List
2020 BMW 330e  [0.00]
If you've declared the items then they should cover you.

One of my ex colleagues always used to tell his insurer that everything was modded to cover himself. As he used to do lots of mods all the time.
Long gone -15 Peugeot 308 2.0HDi GT AUTO Magnetic Blue, 10 BMW F10 520D SE Xirallic Imperial blue/Cinnamon Brown, 06 E90 320si - Le Mans Blue - Totally standard specification (Scrapped RIP 12/08/2010), 00 Peugeot 306 2.0 SE Cabriolet, 94 Rover 214 SEi, 91 Fiat Uno 60S Mk2
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2008, 01:26 PM   #21
THR Doc
Rep
Drives: E92 325i SE Coupe

This is a long standing scam run by the insurance companies.

They will make you list all the mods and charge you a premium for these.

However, in the event of a write off, they will only offer you the base price of the car.

Their logic is that the more mods you have on the car, the more desirable it is to the thieves and therefore it should attract a higher premium.......

THR Doc
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2008, 03:00 PM   #22
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3M Comp

I personally didn't got for a tracking device, (it would be nice to know thieving scum won't get away with it BUT would I want the car back with all their disgusting DNA all over it and it being ragged?

Anyhow I went for GAP insurance (aka shortfall) to cover the difference in the payout from your insurance company. I think this was a better option or maybe both car was expensive enough as it was!

Also got tyre insurance too, next thing you will have to get insurance to cover insurance! - opps... thats what GAP is blooming hell!
Appreciate 0