E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 335d dpf removed

05-24-2011, 06:38 AM   #1
neo871
Major
Romania
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive MPPSK

335d dpf removed

Hi guys!

Just had my dpf removed!

The replacement pipe was bought from http://www.ecotune-scotland.co.uk/ and the dpf bypass software was provided by our friends at Evolve. The new software was actually a modification of their Stage 1 335d map, which was already running fabulous. I just wanted to see how much more can I get out of this engine. My benchmark test is the quarter mile time I get. I used to run 13.15 with the Evolve stage 1 and the dpf on and I'll test on Sunday what sort of times I get with the same Evolve stage 1 but with the dpf off.

For those wondering, YES, there is soot coming out of the exhaust now! Not excessive, but visible. I'll shot some videos and post later. There is also a nasty smell around the car if you have your windows open and if you rev it at a street light, let's say.

The exhaust tips are as sooty as a chimney. However, I’m absolutely sure that there is nothing wrong with the way the engine runs. In fact, it's pretty obvious that it is now properly breathing.

The sound is fabulous, you can hear the turbo spinning sound quite loud and the exhaust note is a lot sportier, since the dpf also acted as a intermediate muffler. Really incomparable.

Last but not least, the car seems to be much more responsive. I can’t tell for sure yet how much of an improvement it is but I’ll test on Sunday at the drag strip. It sure feels faster!

It took me a while to decide on this. I’m not really fond of the soot that this modification generated nor of the quite loud turbo screaming. I don’t think that is suits the car since it is a new generation diesel. However, the performance side is want I’m interested in, at least for the moment.

There was nothing deteriorated when they removed the oem dpf, so the operation is totally reversible.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 06:45 AM   #2
QLD
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 LCI E92 - Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo871 View Post
- YES, there is soot coming out of the exhaust now!
- There is also a nasty smell around the car if you have your windows open and if you rev it at a street light, let's say.
- The exhaust tips are as sooty as a chimney.
- I’m not really fond of the soot that this modification generated nor of the quite loud turbo screaming.
- I don’t think that is suits the car since it is a new generation diesel.
WOW.... how to rape what was a beautiful car??

..sweet torquin' diesel!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 08:05 AM   #3
rjs
Major
England
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
'09 M3 (e93)  [10.00]
It does sound like a mod to far for my liking...

E93 M3
| Azurite Black | Extended Bamboo Leather | Piano Black Trim | 19" 220M Wheels | Shadowline Trim | Edition Grills
M DCT | HDD iDrive | EDC | Bluetooth | Front & Rear PDC | Heated Seats | DAB Radio | Hi-Fi Speakers | USB Audio | SmartTOP
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 11:57 AM   #4
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
"do not like"
      05-24-2011, 12:23 PM   #5
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
It took me a while to decide on this. I’m not really fond of the soot that this modification generated nor of the quite loud turbo screaming. I don’t think that is suits the car since it is a new generation diesel. However, the performance side is want I’m interested in, at least for the moment.

There was nothing deteriorated when they removed the oem dpf, so the operation is totally reversible.

Cheers.
It seems a high price to pay for what will amount to a better 0 - 60 time!

It's a shame you didn't get the car dynoed prior to the removal of the DPF and then dynoed post removal, as the suggested increase in performance will never have any credibility based on a drag run.

You would have been better off leaving the DPF intact, as you state there was no deterioration when it was removed.
Yes it breathes better, but do you want all those negatives long term?

You would of been better off just removing the mufflers and putting on a straight through exhaust system, it's good for at least 15-20 BHP and with no soot.

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 12:41 PM   #6
neo871
Major
Romania
Rep

You're all right, more or less. It is indeed a slightly brutal modification. I considered this for a couple of months before doing it. I definitely plan on refitting the oem dpf back in a couple of weeks maximum.

I k,now this might come hard to understand but there are things that car enthusiasts do that can't be objectively explained

P.S. I did plenty of dyno runs before removing the dpf and I'll definitely do one now.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 12:58 PM   #7
ibanezking
Weekend Rockstar
England
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
You're all right, more or less. It is indeed a slightly brutal modification. I considered this for a couple of months before doing it. I definitely plan on refitting the oem dpf back in a couple of weeks maximum.

I k,now this might come hard to understand but there are things that car enthusiasts do that can't be objectively explained

P.S. I did plenty of dyno runs before removing the dpf and I'll definitely do one now.
be interesting to see the results.....................
      05-24-2011, 11:39 PM   #8
Ti Rich
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S D

Should get much better mpg to - be interesting to see how this improves!
Appreciate 1
      05-30-2011, 11:36 AM   #9
neo871
Major
Romania
Rep

Yes, i can see the that the mpg improved a little but performance wise, the difference seems to be minimal. Although the car seems much more responsive the q mile times is the same, 13.1s.

I think that in order to achive greater performance, i need to look into using a more aggressive software that runs a higher boost but also replace the entire exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 01:15 PM   #10
TikoV
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d/X5 40d

Good on you bud...considering this myself or going for a full exhaust.

Keep us posted :-))
      05-30-2011, 01:31 PM   #11
evil_scooby
m340i owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Ex Scoob, Ex S4, ex 335d m340i

Quote:
Yes, i can see the that the mpg improved a little but performance wise, the difference seems to be minimal. Although the car seems much more responsive the q mile times is the same, 13.1s.

I think that in order to achive greater performance, i need to look into using a more aggressive software that runs a higher boost but also replace the entire exhaust.
Did your LSD improve your quarter mile times much and if so by how much? I ran a 13.6 with the evolve map so is it safe to say about 0.5seconds ?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 04:58 PM   #12
p1tse
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Need more space

i believe it's going to be a legal requirement for those which has one fitted needs to be fitted in the near future?
      05-31-2011, 07:15 AM   #13
badsha
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 318d 2006

i had my kit installed from ecotune as well

here are som vidz

Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 10:28 AM   #14
neo871
Major
Romania
Rep

I just had the dpf installed back - not worth it unless you want to do some heavy tuning...the sound and throttle response is impressive though.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 03:01 PM   #15
FazerBoy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

Would it pass an MOT without a filter?

I presume you are aware that diesel particulates are carcinogenic.....

Last edited by FazerBoy; 06-29-2011 at 07:24 PM.. Reason: Not checking carefully the first time!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 02:55 PM   #16
Martin 335d
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91 335d M Sport

It's worthwhile if you don't want the hassle involved with a DPF when it gets blocked up, it should pass the MOT no problem
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 04:18 PM   #17
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

A few guys in europe in the 1 series forums have had theirs removed, mainly as it pre-longs the life of the car, well certainly the turbo and lets the car breathe properly so increases mpg. On the 118d and 120d they saw around 5-10mpg more with the DPF gone. Also if mapped to take advantage they got the 120d up to around 220bhp where as it was more like 210bhp with it in place. But most did it for better MPG and to save the €1500 DPF replacement that comes around the 80-100k mile mark.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2011, 10:02 PM   #18
wibbla
Rep
Drives: 330d

i get severe loss of power every week,to free her up i have to thrash it for about 25 mins hard and eventualy it frees up,When its in go slow mode the dpf light comes on so i persume this is also the dreaded filter problem,if my cars already re mapped and i go for the removal will i lose the original re mapp i have.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 02:02 AM   #19
YoKev
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

I realize this is an old thread, but I have some insight into this.
Here in the states we have 3/4 to pick up trucks with diesel engines. It' hugely popular to get power out of them, and until DPF's came installed in '07, super easy. FWIW, there's TONS of daily driver Chevy 2500HD's that pull 10's in the 1/4 on weekends.
To my point. Obviously DPF put a big butt-plug into the performance on these things, so the myriad of companies dedicated to diesel performance here set about to solve the problem. Removing the DPF is usually a simple proposition..it's the programming that needs the attention. Within 6 months of the DPF-equipped trucks being released, reprogrammers were released with the software that takes care of the ECU. The end result was a gain of MINIMUM +20%MPG, and the ability to match the prior non-dpf equipped trucks power-wise. The KEY to this is reprograming the ECU. Knowing how quick and easy it was for the dedicated tuners to work around it, all that's needed is an experience tuner to work on it.
Removing the dpf is mandatory, but also just the FIRST STEP. Don't get discouraged because you didn't see what you wanted to performance-wise after you pitched it. You just need to get someone with the knowledge to take it to the next level.
Here's some state-side companies that do it for the previously mentioned American diesel trucks. They'd be a good source for info on how to keep moving forward.
PPE
http://www.pacificp.com/
Bully Dog
http://www.bullydog.com/
Quadzilla
www.quadzillapower.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And here is a link to one of the heaviest populated diesel truck sites here.
Scroll down to the bottom and you'll see the vendor list(with individual sub-forums)
There's easily 50+++ vendors with knowledge on defeating the dpf.
www.diesel********** For some reason this site blocks the url for this site, so I'll try to fool it. The blocked word is PLACE dot com
This forum also has sub-forums for each version of the Duramax engine. The one with DPF is called the LMM, and it was made for 2007.5-2010. You'll see a little down the page the forum for owners of trucks with this motor, and their various threads/mods. Another VERY useful place to find out about performance and dpf-equipped engines(and getting rid of it/tuning)
Hopefully this helps. I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a 335D, so I'm hoping someone with the knowledge tackles this issue as well. Problem here in the states is, not enough 'D's are sold to make it worthwhile for a company to spend the R&D on it.
Europe on the other hand would be a GREAT market for American companies to sell units. You guys just need to give 'em the numbers of how many of you there are.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 12:17 PM   #20
WEEZAR
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 335D

So Anymore Info or updates on the 335d dpf removed?

Found this complete package deal for the DPF delete

http://www.ecotune-scotland.co.uk/pr...moval_Solution

Last edited by WEEZAR; 01-18-2012 at 12:26 PM..
Appreciate 0