BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Midwest / Rockies

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-19-2011, 10:19 AM   #1
ColoCane
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Good Local Denver Source for Tires/Mounting

I know after the PDS at HPR on Saturday, I'm going to be in the market to replace my rear tires (rear tire tread getting low). Looking for some suggestions on a good, trustworthy shop to get/mount new tires. Did my track inspection at Schomp - they offered to get/mount two new rears for the bargain basement price of $970. (Although checked TireRack and they sell the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s for $425 ea.)

Another question - contemplating whether I replace with the stock PS2s or go to something else? (A note on my driving habits - do maybe 1-2 track events per year, other than that, it's my daily driver commuting from downtown to DTC. Mostly around town, some summer mountain driving). Stay with summer tires, or go to performance all-season? Was considering the Pirelli PZero Nero, but heard they are noisy? Also different configuration, don't have 265/35ZR19.

Appreciate the feedback...

'97 E36 M3 Sedan Hellrot Red/Black; '03 E46 330Ci Met. Gray/Black; '06 E46 330Ci ZPF Imola Red/Saddle
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 10:38 AM   #2
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Almost $1k for two rears, lol. I've gone through Bimmerhaus several times and I believe they use the Big O store up in/near Broomfield. I've had them do some large/expensive wheels and have not had an issue (yet...) I also had Discount Tire on Broadway do some 18s on my old M3 and they did a good job. Personally, if you are really sensitive you could always buy the tires from TR or elsewhere and have the dealer do the install if they have a road force balancer.

In terms of tires, I use the Yoko Advan AD08 tire and love them. They have phenomenal grip and ride really well. They might be a tad louder than the PS2 when new but I don't find it an issue. Best part is that they are a lot less expensive than the PS2 - TR has them for $259 front, $296 rear (~$1100 for the set.) Don't recommend mixing and matching tires so only do this if you are willing to replace all 4.

If you want to stay with Michelin, I would do the new PSS. Most reviews find them much improved compared to the outgoing PS2. Pricing is also a little lower than the PS2. They don't offer the rear OEM size of 265/35 but you can go up in size both front and rear on the OEM 19s. Lots of reviews/info in the wheel/tire section.
      05-19-2011, 01:57 PM   #3
dirtyfreebooter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Vespa

Co's in loveland, mount and road-force balanced my winter to summer tires (all 4) for $105. I don't trust discount tire. I least feel that BMW would be easier to deal with in case of damage while mounting (though that is a stretch). At $425 x 2 = $850 + tax? + shipping + mount/balance, $970 is on the high side, but unless you find someone to mount road-force balance for 2 tires for $25, you aren't going to save very much...
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 12:59 AM   #4
Mile High M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 ///M3

Big O Tires does the mounting and balancing for a cheaper price than Discount Tire. I have both right near me and have been going to Big O to switch between summers and winters for a while with no issues.
      05-20-2011, 08:39 AM   #5
F82_SID
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6mt HK Silver

You might actually get the best deal on PS2s if you buy them from somebody here on the forum. Alot of people change them out as soon as they get their car. There are always good deals on them floating around..... I myself have been contemplation weather to stick with PS2s or jump ship to something like General Exclaim UHPs... I had / have GE UHPs on my m6 reps that were on my 335 and they too were great tires. I dont know if they were PS2 great but they are only about 150-175 a pop so for the money, they were great. I still have a new set on my M6 reps that I was thinking about throwing on the M for HPR this weekend.
      05-24-2011, 03:16 PM   #6
mightyaa
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I went with Nitto NT-05's... lots of grip. $260 per tire +/-. Discount tire carries them, and if you find it cheaper anywhere, they'll match it.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 01:01 AM   #7
llis
octane chick
United_States
Rep
Drives: ex-M

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 ZCP  [10.00]
2003 BMW M5  [0.00]
I just had the Yokohamas mounted today. My (likely overinflated) stock Contis were feeling a bit squirmy last weekend and were starting to show their wear. I'm setting those aside for the rainy day. So far with the Yokohamas I'm enjoying an entirely new relationship with the asphalt.

Re the mounting, I bought through Barnsley in Boulder, they matched Tire Rack's price and charged base labor price for the work.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 06:57 PM   #8
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp / Macan Turbo

Once you factor in tax and shipping, the dealer price really isn't that bad as I believe Tire Rack is charging tax in CO now. A road force balance will usually run $25/wheel.

I'd probably stay away from Discount Tire. I had them put a new set of tires put on in April, and they sliced a hole in one of the old tire's sidewalls. It didn't really matter since the tire was shot anyways, and they even offered to replace it with a new one. I can't say I was too upset over the whole ordeal, but I probably won't go back in the future.

Last edited by Draper; 05-26-2011 at 11:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 10:56 PM   #9
dnvrdrvr
Captain Obvious
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 VW GTI SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzbm3 View Post
Once you factor in tax and shipping, the dealer price really isn't that bad as I believe Tire Rack is charging tax in CO now.
I can confirm they are.
Appreciate 0