BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) FIA bans on Blown Diffusers

05-18-2011, 08:35 AM   #1
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
FIA bans on Blown Diffusers

FIA was planning to ban blown diffuser on Spanish GP due to its exhaust gas had become an "aerodynamic aid" and wasn't permitted in regulations. Now the ban has pushed back and given a grace period for this weekend's Spanish GP.

Quote:
The FIA has given the teams a grace period before enforcing a ban on the way exhaust gases are blown through diffusers.

Formula One's governing body has concluded that the engine had become an aerodynamic aid controlled by the driver, which is not permitted in the regulations. In order to prevent this, the FIA will ban the blowing of exhaust gases beyond 10 per cent of full throttle, and had originally planned to impose the ban ahead of the Spanish Grand Prix this weekend.

According to Auto Motor und Sport, however, the ban will now be imposed at a later date agreed with the teams to ensure that some are not unfairly penalised. Mercedes team principal Ross Brawn says the ban will have a significant effect.

"These sort of staccato exhausts that you hear, I don't think you will be hearing anymore," Brawn told Reuters.

Red Bull is widely believed to have mastered the blowing of exhaust gases through its diffuser, and the ban could be a result of a complaint from rival teams unhappy with the way it controls its engine. McLaren's Phil Prew had previously said that he believed Red Bull's qualifying pace to be down to the way it uses its engine to maximise the potential of the exhaust gases.

"The use of elaborate engine modes may be [a reason it is quicker in qualifying], with the generation of downforce being quite highly influenced with the exhaust flows," Prew said.

When asked if the ban was likely to be the result of a complaint, Red Bull team principal Christian Horner said:"It is inevitable and the unfortunate consequence of success."
http://en.espnf1.com/fia/motorsport/story/48746.html
      05-18-2011, 06:02 PM   #2
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Even though we will get 1 more race with them, it seems like the FIA is set on finding a way to ban it.

Which is unfortunate because I actually liked the sound of the retarding engine modes.
      05-18-2011, 06:23 PM   #3
Thisisdudewhoru
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 BSM 340i

I think it should be legal. F1 is about the design, if others don't like it or feel rbr has a advantage, they should have designed their car that way imo.
      05-18-2011, 07:00 PM   #4
Bartman619
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

.....what is not being banned ? Is this F1 or NASCAR ? Thought F1 was still the leader of high tech racing components. seems like FIA is making each car less and less aerodynamic, running crappy Pirelli ties, switching to smaller engines, no refueling...hell might as well put a pushrod V8 under the hood and call it a day.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 09:40 PM   #5
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartman619 View Post
hell might as well put a pushrod V8 under the hood and call it open-wheel Nascar.
Fixed it for you .
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 10:49 PM   #6
Bartman619
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Fixed it for you .

LOL...that's good, but I thought the IRL was open wheel NASCAR?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 07:51 AM   #7
F1Flagger
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i

That is the problem with Racing in the current time. Everyone thinks Racing needs a "Green' image.
The Facts are F1 in total uses lees fuel over a season than something like 1 jumbo jet crossing the Atlantic (I believe that is what R. Brawn stated) Anyway 4cylinder turbos!!
Problem with that is they will NOT produce the power they did last time around.
It will just produce more pressure to gain the performance back through "aero".
Which will lead to no passing.. poorer quality of racing for the fans.
Should have stuck with the V-10 rule. Added fuel restrictions to improve mpg. That would have had the "trickle down" effect that everyone thinks Racing should have.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 07:18 AM   #8
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
this is BS, plain and simple
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 05:42 PM   #9
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartman619 View Post
I thought the IRL was open wheel NASCAR?
They don't have pushrod V8s .
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 09:03 PM   #10
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by escobar929 View Post
this is BS, plain and simple
This X100