E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > the dreaded ticking noise...

05-11-2011, 05:36 PM   #1
q_jonblaze
Captain
Rep
Drives: e93

the dreaded ticking noise...

so at the end of last week i realised that my engine had started sounding rough and on listenining closely, i could definitely hear the ticking noise....

only problem is that it ticks when am driving now and doesnt stop when warm like all the others on this forum(mainly the us section)..

i thought it was because i topped up with different oil and decided to take the car for a complete oil change (even though i changed oil about 3,000 miles ago) and the ticking is still present....

arrrgghhhhh!!!! apparently it doesnt damage the car but i cant live with that ticking noise.....

only thing is that i have that i think is different from all the other ticking symptons is that on startup, i dont really get the ticking, its only when the car warms up.

any help or advise would be nice....

btw....my car isa 330i not a 320d like my sig (need to change that)
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 03:16 PM   #2
greatbm
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G15 840i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by q_jonblaze View Post
so at the end of last week i realised that my engine had started sounding rough and on listenining closely, i could definitely hear the ticking noise....

only problem is that it ticks when am driving now and doesnt stop when warm like all the others on this forum(mainly the us section)..

i thought it was because i topped up with different oil and decided to take the car for a complete oil change (even though i changed oil about 3,000 miles ago) and the ticking is still present....

arrrgghhhhh!!!! apparently it doesnt damage the car but i cant live with that ticking noise.....

only thing is that i have that i think is different from all the other ticking symptons is that on startup, i dont really get the ticking, its only when the car warms up.

any help or advise would be nice....

btw....my car isa 330i not a 320d like my sig (need to change that)
My 325i same direct injection engine has the ticking and its due to the injectors and the lean burn after a good run. I cant hear this in the saloon or even with roof down but if I leave engine running to open garage the noise is evident. Can you hear yours in the saloon if so that is not normal.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 03:49 PM   #3
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

All of the direct injection engines are a bit 'ticky'

On the non-DI 330i the ticking sound is usually valve lifters. I had this a couple of times and it went away after the dealer bled air from this area. This is supposed to happen automatically, but it needs a spirited drive or long run to work properly.

If you only do short journeys it tends to build up.

Nothing to worry about.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 11:44 PM   #4
q_jonblaze
Captain
Rep

from what ive read on the forum, it doesnt damage anything and even though this has been present since 2006/7, there has not been reports of any long term damage.....but the noooiiseee ooo the noise! im very fussy when it comes to my cars and just cannot stand the constant ticking.....

fair enough you can hear it when ur on the go or during the day unless your on a quiet street or parked up but i dont think i will ever be able to live with it.....

as before, i have had a new oil change and also been on the m11 to loughton and back in 3rd gear (that got my oil really hot) but still nothing....

arrghh....might have to change lifters or the cylinder head.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 03:33 AM   #5
Butch
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330i SE Auto

Garage List
2005 330i  [0.00]
Read this...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=404595

Take it for a good drive, work the engine, 50 miles plus. That should clear it, if it comes back then do the same again - I was panicking too, but that worked for me and the problem has never come back

BMW E90 (2005) 330i SE Auto - E90Post Stickers, Exhaust Mod, Private Plates, Debadged, 19" Style 230 wheels, Toyo Non-RFT, MFD Scoops, K&N, Black Calipers/Hubs, 35% Rear Window Tints, Black/White Roundels, BMW Splitters, Blacklines, 12mm Rear Spacers, BMWP Knob... Future Mods - Drop?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 06:54 AM   #6
JonnySi
BMW Technician
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS View Post
All of the direct injection engines are a bit 'ticky'

On the non-DI 330i the ticking sound is usually valve lifters. I had this a couple of times and it went away after the dealer bled air from this area. This is supposed to happen automatically, but it needs a spirited drive or long run to work properly.

If you only do short journeys it tends to build up.

Nothing to worry about.
"Bled air" Love that! More like rev the nuts off it for 5 minutes
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 07:23 AM   #7
q_jonblaze
Captain
Rep

seems to happen even when the car warms up!!!
Appreciate 0