E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Is it something serious ?

05-11-2011, 04:02 AM   #1
webwysard
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Is it something serious ?

Morning All,

As I live in a cul d sac, the car needs to do a three point turn to be parked in the drive and while doing so sometimes I need to turn the wheels in locking position depending on the space on the street so for quite a few days I've noticed that when wheels are in full locking position I hear this griding noise but its not like a screeching noise which you get to hear when the cars have problem with the power steering belt and I only hear when the wheel is in full locking position.

Is it something serious and worth booking the car at the $tealers ?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 04:15 AM   #2
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

I do a 3 point turn same as you every morning.

In a 335i with pukka hydraulic steering, the noise means you are forcing the steering wheel too hard against the stops and this is trying to provide more hydraulic assistance but there is nowhere futher for the rack to move so you can hear the pump / drive belt straining against the pressure relief valve.

You shouldn't hold the steering wheel against the stops, just back it off a fraction - the wheels will still be at full lock and the noise will go away.

Last edited by doughboy; 05-11-2011 at 04:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 04:42 AM   #3
webwysard
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post

In a 335i with pukka hydraulic steering, the noise means you are forcing the steering wheel too hard against the stops and this is trying to provide more hydraulic assistance but there is nowhere futher for the rack to move so you can hear the pump / drive belt straining against the pressure relief valve.

You shouldn't hold the steering wheel against the stops, just back it off a fraction - the wheels will still be at full lock and the noise will go away.
Nice one fellow.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 05:16 AM   #4
335iLondon
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07' 335i Msport

Quote:

Always assumed but was never sure of the explanation.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 05:56 AM   #5
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
I heard the same!!!....
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 06:53 AM   #6
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Quote:

+1 - not good for the rack and pretty sure most handbooks warn against this?
Appreciate 0