E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Professional navigation ques.

03-19-2007, 12:15 PM   #1
tailormade
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 320d

Professional navigation ques.

Hi, Is there any difference between professional navigation system and iDrive? What are the benefits of having professional navigation over handheld sat nav, like tomtom?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2007, 12:38 PM   #2
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Hi tailormade, welcome to the forum!

If you purchase professional navigation you will get the idrive system with the screen and extra hump on the dash. If you don't buy prof navigation you won't get idrive.

The main benefit I find is its all integrated into the car - no wires etc giving the cabin a nice clean and tidy look. The navi is fairly good but has its limitations compared to Tom Tom. The biggest benefit I've had is the live traffic updates which have saved me sitting in traffic on many ocassions! I also like the fact that you can change lots of settings in the car with idrive while if you don't have idrive you need the dealer to change certain settings for you.

I hope this helps...
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2007, 12:43 PM   #3
snawaz
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Black BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauforty View Post
Hi tailormade, welcome to the forum!

If you purchase professional navigation you will get the idrive system with the screen and extra hump on the dash. If you don't buy prof navigation you won't get idrive.

The main benefit I find is its all integrated into the car - no wires etc giving the cabin a nice clean and tidy look. The navi is fairly good but has its limitations compared to Tom Tom. The biggest benefit I've had is the live traffic updates which have saved me sitting in traffic on many ocassions! I also like the fact that you can change lots of settings in the car with idrive while if you don't have idrive you need the dealer to change certain settings for you.

I hope this helps...
+1

With pro sat nav you get the i-drive which is the centre control knob that allows you to navigate(control the different options on) the pro sat nav. With the i-drive you then also have the option of controlling other functions on the pro sat nav screen like the hi-fi system, climate control etc.

The real difference is the look of the dashboard. I think the sat nav screen makes the dash look fantastic. It changes the whole look of the interior of the car. The sat nav is quite good but there are other sat navs that are a lot more intuitive and allow you to do so much more, like the pioneer AVIC HD-1BT.

Benefit of the pro sat nav are as above. The i-drive is a great gadget for controlling all the electronic equipment, and makes the whole car a lot more ergonomic.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2007, 12:48 PM   #4
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

The nav system itself is probably less intuitive than something like tomtom or garmin, however it does work well and is a neatly installed package with no wires.

The idrive itself is great if you want to use bluetooth phone / mp3 discs / radio functions.

Overall, I think it worth getting pronav as a package rather than just a replacement for tomtom.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2007, 01:02 PM   #5
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
The nav system itself is probably less intuitive than something like tomtom or garmin, however it does work well and is a neatly installed package with no wires.

The idrive itself is great if you want to use bluetooth phone / mp3 discs / radio functions.

Overall, I think it worth getting pronav as a package rather than just a replacement for tomtom.
I think the nav system is certainly less intuitive than the likes of the well thought out TomTom & Garmin systems.

It wouldn't take a huge amount of thought on the part of those responsible for testing the Idrive software's usability, to make a few simple changes to improve the system.

eg lack of point of interest searching (will be available from Progman 25 apparently), lack of voice control for things like mp3 playback & choosing destinations from the address book

Overall, the integration of most electronic functions into the single Idrive console does make life more convenient.

However, you really need to try out an Idrive-equipped car out for yourself, over at least a day- a quick 30 minute test drive just isn't long enough.

I was showing one of the UK members at the last meet, just how the system works. I think he learned a lot more by doing that, than he would have by going to his stealership!

All the best.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2007, 01:19 PM   #6
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekk View Post
I was showing one of the UK members at the last meet, just how the system works. I think he learned a lot more by doing that, than he would have by going to his stealership!
Viv - I'm not sure that you are the best person to demonstrate sat nav given your performance at UK 3

PS - only joking - don't get Gordon out again.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2007, 02:03 PM   #7
London320d
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: '06 E90 320dSE

For me (Based on my 14 month old car)

Advantages
Well integrated into car and electronics.

You get IDrive which binds all of the electronics together, and enhances the functions of the electronics.

More accurate timing of directions as it can take information from the wheel sensors, so it knows what speed you are doing and when your turning rather than having to wait for a few GPS samples to figure it out. Or carrying on "moving" when you have stopped and have no GPS signal!

Not stealable (unless they take the car as well). No need to remove it from the car when you park, dismount the suction mounting and clean the circle from your screen (which you have to do with a portable). It is now very common for parked cars with satnav rings on the screen to be broken into on the off chance the owner has hidden the portable satnav in the glove box.

Very large and clear display, and loud , clear and well timed voice directions.

Display is readable in all lighting conditions (even bright, direct sunlight straight onto it)

The IDrive display, in my opinion enhances the appearance of the dash (I think the non IDrive version looks a little plain.

No restrictions on windscreen types, as the antenna is external.

TMC real time traffic info clearly displayed on the map. That makes the system useful, even if you have not set a route. Just bring up the map display and you see the problems on the local main roads.

Disadvantages
Older technology so not as function rich or intuitive as the consumer portables. Inbuilt systems always lag behind the consumer market.

No seven digit postcode entry (I've not been keeping up with the forum as well as I might, recently. I'm assuming that they have not improved this?).

Fewer inbuilt "Points of interest."

Some people might IDrive too complicated. You don't need three PHDs in computing to work it, but some technophobes might end up a gibbering wreck!. Anybody who can record the correct channel on their VCR should be able to learn it easily.

You don't have a portable unit to transfer to another car, or help you when you are walking.

Last edited by London320d; 03-19-2007 at 02:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2007, 02:17 PM   #8
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
Viv - I'm not sure that you are the best person to demonstrate sat nav given your performance at UK 3

PS - only joking - don't get Gordon out again.
Simon, luckily, we were only in a stationary position!

Quote:
Originally Posted by London320d View Post
...No seven digit postcode entry (I've not been keeping up with the forum as well as I might, recently. I'm assuming that they have not improved this?)
Still no full postcode entry, Steve.

BTW- I haven't seen you posting that much recently- hoping you are keeping well.

All the best.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2007, 03:08 PM   #9
London320d
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: '06 E90 320dSE

Hi Viv - Thanks I'm fine - I've just not had as much time to spend in forums as I did previously. A couple of music related forums have also suffered (or not as they might see it ). And the gliding season is about to start again now. So much to do, not enough days in the week to do them!.

I'm still enjoying the E90! but had my first flat tyre this weekend. eTyres did a good job today however.

Right this thread can go back on topic now

Steve
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2007, 04:14 PM   #10
tailormade
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 320d

Dear All

Many thanks for the information. Much appreciated.
Appreciate 0