E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > AUC supplied with buckled wheel

03-30-2011, 05:41 AM   #1
sukder
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Car

AUC supplied with buckled wheel

I collected my approved used 320d from a dealer on Saturday and organised to change to non-run flats today.

While doing the work, the tyre fitter noted that one of the wheels is buckled by about half an inch.

I'd not noticed any issues with vibration or anything and since Saturday have not hit any holes or anything that would cause a buckle like this.

I've contacted the dealer and BMW UK to see if they are able to help at all.

Does anyone here know whether an AUC should come with such an issue please? Is it considered general wear and tear like stone chips on the bonnet for example?

The wheel's an 18" M Sport, style 193 (I think) so if anyone's got a spare that is straight, I may be interested!

On another note, I cannot recommend Event Tyres highly enough. Their prices and service are simply superb.

I can also tell you that the new tyres are a massive improvement in terms of noise and ride comfort on the Bridgestone RFT that came with the car. They'll be for sale shortly once I have photos etc as they still have about 4mm of tread left and so it seemed a waste to dispose of them.

Many thanks for your time and any help much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 05:44 AM   #2
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
If you can agree with the dealer you hadn't hit any pot holes (good luck) then they should replace it FOC.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 06:38 AM   #3
milesr3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 535d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukder View Post
...they still have about 4mm of tread left and so it seemed a waste to dispose of them.
I thought BMW's AUC standard is to replace tyres with less than 5mm of tread?

When I bought my AUC 535d I queried the tread depth of the rear tyres and they measured them to prove there was >5mm.

Not surprised by the buckled wheel. My experience is that they do the minimum they can get away with to sell a car and then use your warranty to put it right.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 06:58 AM   #4
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC.

AUC preparation is NIL apart from a valet. Anything that does need to be done will cost the dealer until the car is sold, after that, it's down to the warranty.

My AUC car had 2 buckled wheels - one was bad (vibrations at speed), the other less so. They replaced both without quibbling, although I did report one as soon as I got home from picking the car up. Buckling wasn't visible until you jacked up the car and put a reference next to the rim and spun the wheel.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 11:58 AM   #5
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by milesr3 View Post
I thought BMW's AUC standard is to replace tyres with less than 5mm of tread?
At least 3mm is my understanding, the tread depth BMW recommend for changing, unless you are tyre condition specific as part of the deal. Some dealers are better than others and wouldn't skimp on tyre condition for used cars. Others will even leave odd tyres fitted, even on something like a X3/5 where tyre matching is even more critical.

It is disappointing, when the AUC car is supposed to be the next best thing to a new BMW.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 04:43 AM   #6
sukder
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Car

I contacted the dealer as I was also not happy with the obvious refurb they had done on the wheels. The dealer sales manager contacted me and kindly told me they had noticed the buckle and had ordered a new wheel but he wasn't sure why this had not been fitted.

So, he's offered to replace all four wheels FoC instead of doing a refurb again!

BMW customer service does seem to be excellent but why don't they sort the cars out fully before selling them? When I went to see the car in the first instance it was filthy. It hadn't even been vacumed inside. I do find that odd.

The same's true for their courtesy cars. The times I have had one when my car's been serviced that is in a pretty poor state. I usually mention it at the time just so they know it's not me when it comes back!

Anyway, I got side-tracked. Sorry!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 04:58 AM   #7
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M-Sport

Quote:
I contacted the dealer as I was also not happy with the obvious refurb they had done on the wheels. The dealer sales manager contacted me and kindly told me they had noticed the buckle and had ordered a new wheel but he wasn't sure why this had not been fitted.

So, he's offered to replace all four wheels FoC instead of doing a refurb again!

BMW customer service does seem to be excellent but why don't they sort the cars out fully before selling them? When I went to see the car in the first instance it was filthy. It hadn't even been vacumed inside. I do find that odd.

The same's true for their courtesy cars. The times I have had one when my car's been serviced that is in a pretty poor state. I usually mention it at the time just so they know it's not me when it comes back!

Anyway, I got side-tracked. Sorry!
Result

Sounds like they made a genuine mistake and are going out of their way to correct it.

I commend them for their efforts!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 05:01 AM   #8
ChrisE91
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2007 E91 320D M Sport

Sounds like a good dealer.
      03-31-2011, 07:00 AM   #9
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
Pants down....

Sounds like they tried to pull a sly one on you.....no doubt some other poor bugger will receive a bent rim on his next car.......but well done for getting them to change them
      03-31-2011, 09:44 AM   #10
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

Quote:
IBMW customer service does seem to be excellent but why don't they sort the cars out fully before selling them?
This was explained earlier in the thread.

Any remedial work they do to sell a vehicle is at the expense of the franchise entirely.

Once its back in private hands and YOU bring it in, they can shout 'warranty' to BMW and get reimbursed for parts and labour.

In fact its in their interest to sell you shit car but give good service

The wonders of the commercial world eh?