E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Help for Mods

03-26-2011, 10:23 AM   #1
webwysard
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Help for Mods

Being a novice on the technical side of my car I would appreciate If you guide me in the right direction. Planning a few mods in two different stages.
1. Handling upgrade.
2. Performace.

1. Want to stay as much oem as I could so would like your input about what can be done to Improve it, like anti roll bars, struts braces or suspension upgrade etc. The car is an AUC and still has manufacturer warranty and planning to have extended warranty afterwards so wouldn't want anything which would effect the warranty.

2. Many of you would argue that if I go for a performance upgrade, it wont be covered by the warranty so looking at a remap which wont leave any codes and can be taken off if the car goes in for a warranty work, again what sort of remap would be most reliable and good value for money like JB, evolve or any others. Intrested in the Group buy for the fmic and downpipes but again not sure about the warranty implications and how good would these be with the remap.

Please advise.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 02:19 PM   #2
webwysard
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Anyone ?

Got some funds available so just want to get these done before Mrs finds out.lol
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 02:34 PM   #3
Mike in Hampshire
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: None at present!

Quote:
Originally Posted by webwysard View Post
Being a novice on the technical side of my car I would appreciate If you guide me in the right direction. Planning a few mods in two different stages.
1. Handling upgrade.
2. Performace.
OK W/W I'll offer you my thoughts. I have a 335i that is modded but looks OEM on the outside, but is much better under the skin.
By far the best "handling" mod I have had done is the Quaife LSD, which Birds fitted. This device is simply brilliant, it allows power to be shifted across the rear axle to the wheel with most grip. This means that you can actually use all that 300+ bhp rather than spinning it away. Mine cost £1200 ish fitted and is the first thing to mod, IMHO. I am sure it wouldn't invalidate any warranty in practice, 'cos it looks identical to the stock diff....to my untrained eyes anyway, others may know better.
I've also had the subframe bushes upgraded, and thicker anti-roll bars fitted, again by Birds. The car now corners much flatter and the understeer is gone. Coupled with the Quaife, it greatly improves high speed cornering. But I think this mod would invalidate your warranty (if it ever came to that.....how likely really though?).
I replaced the Bridgestone runflats with Conti 5P's, a very good move. Recommended, even at £800.
Finally I had Bilstein dampers and springs done. This, I imagine, would invalidate your warranty.
On the performance side, I went for Evolve's stage 1 - brilliant value and can be removed, but I've read that it will be detected if a dealer bothers to look. Apparently, they don't normally look, but what price peace of mind?

Depends on £££'s really but the Quaife would be my first choice. Then replace the run flats.

Mike.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 02:36 PM   #4
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

ANY mods that are not BMW on that car and forget the AUC warranty entirely.

So you are limited to the over priced and underperforming stuff from BMW.

I would say JB4, thats easily removed if you need repairs (I left mine in for service).
And perhaps the Quaiffe LSD as nobody can see it or easily prove its present.
Its only the internals that Birds replace on the diff.

No dealer is likely to go to the bother of yanking the ECU box apart without a VERY good reason. Why would they?
The techs are working to the minute to run to a budget.
Steve
      03-26-2011, 05:36 PM   #5
webwysard
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks Mike

I would love to have Quaife but the budget doesn't allow it as yet so will wait til I get some more funds.

JB4 sounds perfect and its in the list now.

Would you please tell me little more about the subframe bushes, anti roll bar, dampers and springs ? did you suply these to the Birds auto or they did it all in ? what brand was it ? and if you remember how much it costed you and who to get these from ?

I have heard about this local indy Darren wood, who is quite good so if I arrange these part, I can have it done there.

Thanks for all this advice.

Azhar
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 02:51 AM   #6
Mike in Hampshire
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: None at present!

Quote:
Thanks Mike

Would you please tell me little more about the subframe bushes, anti roll bar, dampers and springs ? did you suply these to the Birds auto or they did it all in ? what brand was it ? and if you remember how much it costed you and who to get these from ?

I have heard about this local indy Darren wood, who is quite good so if I arrange these part, I can have it done there.

Azhar
Morning Azhar. The bushes, ARB's and replacement suspension is all part of a package that Birds do (which includes the Quaife). Have a look at this link to find out more http://www.birdsauto.com/

It isn't cheap, however, so might be one for the future. If a Quaife LSD is beyond current budget, I'd still look at replacing the tyres, assuming they are due for renewal anyway. If they are fine, then yeah I agree with m1jbr; see above. A JB4 tune, indeed any ECU upgrade I believe, can be found if you look hard enough. Unlikely in normal circumstances. An ECU tune such as the JB4 gives you huge bang for your $, is removeable, and can be sold on.
Or you could visit the good folks at Evolve, or one of their dealers, and for £500 get their Stage 1 which I've personally found excellent.
Have a look at the Burger Tuning website (USA) for more info and an installation video for the JB stuff. I believe Juiced Up support this site and offer it in the UK?
It might be worth asking your insurance company what the extra premium will be if you have a power increase. My advice is - don't even think of not telling them!
Whatever you decide - enjoy planning and getting mods done!

Mike.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 06:36 AM   #7
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
If you can't afford the lsd...the next tune would be the ECU IMO...

Good reviews for the JB products...
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 11:06 AM   #8
neil@JuicedUpTuning
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Hampshire View Post
Have a look at the Burger Tuning website (USA) for more info and an installation video for the JB stuff. I believe Juiced Up support this site and offer it in the UK?
Cheers Mike,

Azhar we are the UK BMS authorised dealer. BMS JB tunes come with the "BMS 14 day money back guarantee" for your satisfaction

Check out our Combo deals on the website for great value on the JB4, USB Cable and Dual Cone Intakes. You will also find install guides, features lists and dyno graphs.

Quote:
Intrested in the Group buy for the fmic and downpipes but again not sure about the warranty implications and how good would these be with the remap.
JB4 has a number of Maps for supporting different boost levels. So as you mod with an FMIC and DP's (JB4 has builtin DP fix) you can change to a higher map. MAP 5 is the autotuning map and will safely increase boost for the mods you have as it learns as you drive.

Mike is running a Group buy for DP and FMIC here...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=506498

Last edited by neil@JuicedUpTuning; 03-27-2011 at 11:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 01:37 PM   #9
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Coming soon-718 Cayman S

hi,

you think you can install it for me if i buy one and teach me how to remove it?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 02:02 PM   #10
neil@JuicedUpTuning
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoro35i View Post
hi,

you think you can install it for me if i buy one and teach me how to remove it?
No fitting service as yet but we are looking into it.

The install is easy and we can guide you through the process by showing you the install video and instructions. If you get stuck at any point you simply email photo's of your install and we respond with the answer.

Install video at the bottom of the page...

http://www.juiceduptuning.co.uk/results_support.asp
Appreciate 0