E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Ouch - Wheel Repair on 313M's Required

03-23-2011, 06:00 AM   #1
HeyBert
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 320d M Sport LCI

Ouch - Wheel Repair on 313M's Required

Well it didn't take too long to kerb my new wheels. There is very little, if any, tyre wall protection on the 313's and I managed to kerb the passenger side front, followed by my wife kerbing the passenger side rear last week

Only had the car 2 months and never previously kerbed wheels so really annoyed.

Do you guys have any recommendations of a good repairer in the North West who can sort out the diamond cut edge on these wheels?

How are other members dealing with the practicalities of living with these wheels?
      03-23-2011, 07:42 AM   #2
Yahoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i e91 LCI msport

I have been told that the wheels can only handle 1 repair - so don't do it too early. The mark will need machining out rather then touching up.

I have purchased some alu colour paint and clear coat to repair mine for the time being, but will have them refurbed if/when to get too bad.

Lovely wheels, great to clean - but costly to repair.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 08:04 AM   #3
HeyBert
Rep

Thanks Yahoo

Agreed, they do look lovely and are a breeze to keep clean, just don't like kerbs!

If they can only handle a single repair then I may hold off and live with the damage as I cannot guarantee any further "incidents" (other than parking well away from kerbs)
      03-23-2011, 08:35 AM   #4
tmarshall57
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 530d M Sport, E87 118d M

Garage List
I've used these guys
for refurbing my kerbed wheels. I tend to leave the car with them for the day. At the last count they charged me £40-45 per wheel refurbed and £30 for removing quite a bad (MOT failure) dent from the inside of a wheel caused by pothole damage.

They have always done a good job for me.
F10 530d M Sport, September 2012 Individual Amazonite Silver, Oyster Dakota Leather, Auto, Nav Pro, Bluetooth + USB Devices, Expanded BMW Online, Comfort Seats, Sunroof, Sun Protection Glass Individual Satin Walnut Honey Brown Trim Interior Inside/Outside Mirror with folding and autodip, M Rear Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 09:09 AM   #5
HeyBert
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmarshall57 View Post
I've used these guys
for refurbing my kerbed wheels. I tend to leave the car with them for the day. At the last count they charged me £40-45 per wheel refurbed and £30 for removing quite a bad (MOT failure) dent from the inside of a wheel caused by pothole damage.

They have always done a good job for me.
Thank you for this - I will certainly give them a call to see what can be done
      03-23-2011, 01:09 PM   #6
SO8
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i xdrive

I've just bought a 330d with 313M's on it ... and totally agree they have zero protection from the tyre sidewall

When I saw them I loved the style but then realised I will be parking in the middle of the road to safeguard them !

I have used Lepsons to refurbish diamond cut wheels before on an S2000 and the returned product was simply stunning .... they took a week to turn them around but I would definitely use them again (though I hope I don't haver to!)

http://www.lepsons.com/
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 01:25 PM   #7
DavS1
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Emfree

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
I've found them ok tbh, just VERY VERY carefull when parking, and avoid every pothole I can. I've got one tiny buff mark on the laquer on one, and a tiny chip on another which must have been something to do with a pothole as I can guarantee it's never came into contact with a kerb, nor do I bump up or down any kerb no matter how small.

I'm finding them a bastard to keep clean, I was them once a week, seal with poorboys wheel sealant once a month...and tar/brake filings still stick to them and i'm having to claybar them nearly every time I wash, plus the fact they need washed in behind the spokes all round the rim as they are so open.

I looked closely the other day and can see what can only be described as oxodisation already and they are only 7 months old, can only see it if you look closely, and its literally pin prick sized but it's starting...im sure the wheels have a year or two warranty so they'll be going back if they get worse!

Apart from all that, I love them...wouldn't have any other wheel on mine!
      03-23-2011, 01:27 PM   #8
EZ_TUR90
Ez tur90
Armenia
Rep
Drives: M6

Very hard to match the performance wheel pattern. Don't repair it.
      03-23-2011, 02:29 PM   #9
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahoo View Post
I have been told that the wheels can only handle 1 repair
Lepsons told me the same when they did my GPowers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SO8 View Post
I have used Lepsons to refurbish diamond cut wheels before on an S2000 and the returned product was simply stunning .... they took a week to turn them around but I would definitely use them again (though I hope I don't haver to!)

http://www.lepsons.com/
Lepsons are probably the best for D/cut wheels, mine came back as good as new
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 04:10 AM   #10
fat dog
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: iX3 M Sport Pro

Hi HeyBert

Have you had your wheel refurbished yet and if so, who did you plunge for in the end? Any pics of the wheel post-repair?

I'm also in the north-west and despite having had my car for only one month, have also managed to catch one of my wheels.

On a more positive note, my M3 style rear spoiler is now in place. Was a breeze to fit and is very securely stuck.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0