E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > another rft question.

03-22-2011, 12:12 AM   #1
webwysard
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

another rft question.

Can rfts be removed from one set of wheels and put onto an other one without a problem ? or are they of no use once off the wheels ? As I've been thinking about going for 19" csl rep but just checked the tyres today on my mv3 and they are quite new so if i go for 18" csl then i can have my old tyres onto them. Has anyone done this or is it considerd not do able

Thanks for you input.

Last edited by webwysard; 03-22-2011 at 01:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 02:55 AM   #2
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by webwysard View Post
Can rfts be removed from one set of wheels and put onto an other one without a problem ? or are they of no use once off the wheels ? As I've been thinking about going for 19" csl rep but just checked the tyres today on my mv3 and they are quite new so if i go for 18" csl then i can have my old tyres onto them. Has anyone done this or is it considerd not do able

Thanks for you input.
Can rfts be removed from one set of wheels and put onto an other one without a problem ?
Yes

or are they of no use once off the wheels ?
As long as the fitter takes care there is no reason why the tyres can not be reused.

Has anyone done this or is it considerd not do able.
Yes, as above.There are plenty of s/hand RFT's available for sale on Ebay, many from reputable sellers.

Personally, I'd buy non RFT's and keep the RFT's for when you resell.
If you P/ex it at a BMW dealer they would expect to see RFT's, and if the car is on any form of finance the dealer would probably insist on RFT's.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 02:56 AM   #3
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by webwysard View Post

Thanks for you input.
No problem doing this. I have RFT's for the summer and 'normal' winter tyres, but only one set of rims.

Tyre fitters may charge slightly more to swap runflats as they are (apparently) harder to get of the rims.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 04:14 AM   #4
Spaceman330D
Private
Rep
Drives: E91 330D Msport

is it poss to fit rft to a aftermarket wheel? thought i read somewhere that i could only fit my mint rft to bmw runflat wheels?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 04:28 AM   #5
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Rim needs to be an H2 or H2+ spec to take a run flat.

That just gives an extra deep beading around the inner edge and stops the tyre coming off the rim if it does indeed go flat.
Appreciate 0