E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Engine Management Light

03-16-2011, 09:45 AM   #1
Sukey
Rep
Drives: E93 325i

Engine Management Light

The engine management light came on a couple of times on my E93.

Only at a very specific point on the way out of our drive, mind and only when the car was cold.

Car is under warranty and BMW had a look, changed the oil and the filter and 'checked the software'. I'm not awfully sure from their explanation what that will do or what the problem was...

IIRC, previous 3 series models had an issue with an oil sensor, which is what I thought would probably be the issue here. IF I am right and it's still an oil sensor problem, replacing them isn't worth it when the car is out of warranty, as it's a sensor that becomes momentarily uncovered, but isn't a 'real' issue... and the cost of the replacement runs to about £150 - not for the sensor, but for the labour to get to it.

Anyone else had this sort of issue?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 10:01 AM   #2
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

More info needed I'm afraid.

What was the specific error code(s) they logged?

Not a hope of any useful input without that.

Often the cat converters can throw a code when cold started and driven after a lomg idle.
They do self clear though and are not recorded so the dealer may not have any clue either.

I havent seen any oil sensor issues come to light on here regarding E9x models if that helps reassure you.
      03-16-2011, 11:11 AM   #3
Sukey
Rep
Drives: E93 325i

Yep, I know that more info would be helpful, just can't give much else.

No error code stored that we could identify on our OBC reader - although that could just be that the reader can't 'read' the software in this car.

Useful to know about the cat converter. The light comes on, but doesn't stay on if you stop and re-start the car. I'm assuming not serious, as the dealers had a careful look over it before changing the oil and filter.
Appreciate 0