E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > I don't think this is your average water spots.

09-27-2005, 06:26 PM   #1
schwma
My first bimmer...but definitely not my last!
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i

I don't think this is your average water spots.

I'm sooo depressed. Visiting my mom down in San Diego, I parked in her driveway with the nose of my silver E90 up to the garage door. Half of my front end was underneath the roof overhang. Must have rained during the night, and next morning was very clear and hot. By the time I saw my car, it was 12:00 noon, and whatever either rained or dripped and splattered onto my hood from the roof had dried into a beige hazy substance. Without thinking about the heat, I poured a bucket of water onto the hood to rinse it off. It came clean but left what look like large and small water spots all over the hood of my car. I had my detailer take a look. They don't buff out. I tried white vinegar -- to no avail.
The spots are difficult to see unless you're in the right light, e.g., under a flourescent light. They don't look like they're just on top of the paint. I'm not sure what it is. Maybe some chemical that was on the rooftop??? I want them gone though. I've only had the car for three weeks. I don't know what to do. Should I have the hood painted?
What's odd is the fenders are unscathed. It's only the actual hood. One would think that if the entire hood had these spots, at least the tops of the fenders would also.
Any thoughts -- sympathy? Hug?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2005, 07:03 PM   #2
FABSAN
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 06 325i

sorry to hear. if it makes you feel any better, i got a dent on mine the second day. barely visible but i know its there.
      09-28-2005, 10:28 AM   #3
impulsebrklyn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i Jet Black

Do you have any detailing supplies? Tell me what you have avilable. Most likely they will come out with the proper product and alittle tlc.

If you have clay that would be my first thing to try. If not you can get this just about anywhere.

If that doesnt work you will need a paint cleaner or polish.

Chris
2006 BMW 330i - Jet Black - Terra - Burl Walnut - Premuim Package - Sports Package - Fold Down Seats - Heated Front Seats - Strut Brace - Sunglass Tray - Carbon Fiber Front Lips - Alarm - Blacklines - ACS Roof Wing - Breyton Trunk Spoiler - 19" Breyton Spirits wrapped in Michelin PS2
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2005, 08:20 AM   #4
Joburg Beemer
EMSPORTS
Rep
Drives: 2005 323i M - Sport

I feel your pain

Hi there...

I have a black sapphire 320d and after only 3 weeks of ownership the worst thing happened to me. I went on a business trip and left my car at the airport with a hire car service to be cleaned and parked off site. Well, the car came back with water marks from the wash. It had been left in the sun and the soap had dried. The outline of the marks was only visible under flourescent lighting, just like yours. I immediately took it to my "detailer" as no amount of scrubbing with a sponge could get them off. They were all over the car. The detailer used a machine polish to get them off, which was successfull, but to my dismay, the machine left terrible swirl marks on the car. I'm not talking about the circular scratch marks that you see after many years of polishing, but rather these long whispy shapes that almost appear to be under the paint. Also, only noticible under bright light, particularly sunlight. You wont see it on a cloudy day. So i was now left with a new problem. The car has now been back for 3 attempts to get rid of this problem. in fact, I'm picking it up this afternoon for the 3rd time. The detailer tells me he has been successful but I'm sceptical at this stage. Wish me luck... PS: make surethat if you get it machine polished that they hand polish it after.. Cheers.. Rogan
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2005, 10:00 PM   #5
impulsebrklyn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joburg Beemer
Hi there...

I have a black sapphire 320d and after only 3 weeks of ownership the worst thing happened to me. I went on a business trip and left my car at the airport with a hire car service to be cleaned and parked off site. Well, the car came back with water marks from the wash. It had been left in the sun and the soap had dried. The outline of the marks was only visible under flourescent lighting, just like yours. I immediately took it to my "detailer" as no amount of scrubbing with a sponge could get them off. They were all over the car. The detailer used a machine polish to get them off, which was successfull, but to my dismay, the machine left terrible swirl marks on the car. I'm not talking about the circular scratch marks that you see after many years of polishing, but rather these long whispy shapes that almost appear to be under the paint. Also, only noticible under bright light, particularly sunlight. You wont see it on a cloudy day. So i was now left with a new problem. The car has now been back for 3 attempts to get rid of this problem. in fact, I'm picking it up this afternoon for the 3rd time. The detailer tells me he has been successful but I'm sceptical at this stage. Wish me luck... PS: make surethat if you get it machine polished that they hand polish it after.. Cheers.. Rogan
Your detailer put holograms on your car, usually it comes from someone that is using a rotary the wrong way. They can easily be removed with a pc or rotary with someone that knows what they are doing. Hand polishing does very little for scratches, swirls and holograms. You cant move you hand fast enough to cause any heat.

Chris
2006 BMW 330i - Jet Black - Terra - Burl Walnut - Premuim Package - Sports Package - Fold Down Seats - Heated Front Seats - Strut Brace - Sunglass Tray - Carbon Fiber Front Lips - Alarm - Blacklines - ACS Roof Wing - Breyton Trunk Spoiler - 19" Breyton Spirits wrapped in Michelin PS2
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2005, 10:24 PM   #6
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d 421,000kms

Wow, impulse, you da man!!

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2005, 05:41 PM   #7
BMW 2006
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330I - '06 - 6 Spd

If any one of you purchased "A Touch of Class" when you picked up your car.. they will take care of any thing that lands on the car and damages the paint.... like a waterspot ... etc.... you just tell the dealer and it will be repaired at no cost. I purchased this product just because of waterspots!
Good Luck!
Appreciate 0