E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Excess mileage service tolerance level / fuel filter

03-04-2011, 05:29 PM   #1
simont
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i M sport Touring

Excess mileage service tolerance level / fuel filter

Just been to Sytner for a service (engine oil + Mircrofilter, brake fluid and Rear pads), the key read before service advice revealed that the intake silencer (aka air filter) and the spark plugs is due within the next 1000 miles / October 2011. I wish I was informed so that they can be done at the same time.

I was not aware of this as the computer shows only the engine oil due date but not for the spark plugs / air filter / fuel filter, hence the need to go back again to have them replaced (at every 3rd oil change according to the service handbook, which make sense in my case). But as the MOT is due in May, I would prefer to have everything done in 1 visit.

However, between now and May I may cover more than the due mileage of 1000, but the service dept advised me that there is a tolerance level of 3000 miles over and above the due mileage show on the OBC, so it means as long as I do not cover more than 4000 miles before the next visit, the service inteval should still be within tolerance the warranty will not be invalidated.

Would like to confirm if 3000 miles (over the due mileage) is the correct acceptable excess from a service due date / warranty validation point of view?

Also the key read report does not mention any fuel filter change requirement, but the service book does mention renewal at third oil change - should it be replaced?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 05:56 PM   #2
idnan
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 335i

I can only give info on the fuel filter part, as far as I know our petrol engines don't have a fuel filter change, that's for diesel models only.

I wouldn't want to risk losing warranty on just a small point. It seems as though its something that they might use as an excuse in the future. I'm interested to know when my plugs are due, as mine has done more than 60k and i have no evidence of a spark plug change.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2011, 01:30 AM   #3
simont
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i M sport Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by idnan View Post
I can only give info on the fuel filter part, as far as I know our petrol engines don't have a fuel filter change, that's for diesel models only.

I wouldn't want to risk losing warranty on just a small point. It seems as though its something that they might use as an excuse in the future. I'm interested to know when my plugs are due, as mine has done more than 60k and i have no evidence of a spark plug change.
Thanks. Looking at the serive schedule, indeed the fuel filter only applies to diesel models.

I've now done 44k and it's the first time both the spark plugs and air filter need replacing (at the 3rd oil change), I've been quoted £220 and £60 all in respectively, does it sound reasonable?
Appreciate 0