E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Car fooked... HPFP??

02-26-2011, 04:25 PM   #1
335i E92
Captain
Rep
Drives: M22

Car fooked... HPFP??

Evening

As above it's fooked & I'm thinking it's the HPFP?

Been suffering from a rough idele for 10 months which is still present after new coils, plugs, injectors & adaptation resets.

Called in at Darren Woods to look in to the rough idle. Hooked the car up and thier was a code to say the that there had been a fault registered with the hpfp but that it was opperational and running ok.

Had an adaptation reset to try to fix idle and left. Later today the car lost power, started to shake on acceleration and sound rough as hell knocking & spluttering so I
restarted it and it was back to normal. This happened 3-4 times and then I got an engine warning light (picture of the engine half diagonally shaded) and now it's constantly rough with no power.

It's a 2006 and still on it's 1st pump with 60k. I've never had long crank so I'm not sure if it is the hpfp, any thoughts guys??

If it is the hpfp any idea of cost?? Do we have an extended warrenty on this part? I've read also that if it is the hpfp then the low pressure fuel sensor will need changing too?

Last edited by 335i E92; 02-26-2011 at 04:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 05:21 PM   #2
Fox530
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i xDrive

Sadly only the Americans have extended warranty on this part.

I've heard its a 4 figure job.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2011, 06:19 PM   #3
fastloop
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M Sport

Sorry to hear this. It does sound like the pump it on it's last legs. Do you know what codes it was?

The HPFP pump should be around €250 and it doesn't look too bad to replace it, so I seriously doubt that it's a 4 figure job. From my Bentley manual, it looks like its an intake off and the pump is there on the right side of the engine. Unhook the fuel lines and a couple of bolts, swap part and reverse the process. So I would guess it's a 1-2 hour job at most to swap it.

Mine started to have intermittent longer cranks, and doesn't start as quick as it used to. The odd 1-2 seconds crank before it starts. Normally it's < 0.5sec. In the past it would start on the 1st crank. No codes so far, but I suspect that I'll have to get this replaced in the near future as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 02:52 AM   #4
335i E92
Captain
Rep

I'm seriously hoping it's not a 4 figure job.

When they hooked it up it wasn't a code number. We looked in the faults menu and it actually said that it had detected a fault with the hpfp but that it was still opperational.

I switched from v power to tesco momentum a month or so ago. I wonder if this has anything to do with it as I know it's got a small amount of enthanol in it. Car actually ran better on the tesco juice TBH.

I take it that I shouldn't drive the car now it's limping?

Do we know if BMW are offereing any goodwill on the pumps?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 03:57 AM   #5
dghdgh
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 sports+

If the US get an extended warranty on the pump it must be down to pressure put on BMW. Is it not worth all users with this issue directing all concerns direct to BMW UK.
On driving the limp mode is a get you home function so the only place to drive it to is the garage.
Best of luck.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 04:02 AM   #6
Yahoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i e91 LCI msport

I would push hard for goodwill - it is a known issue and as mentioned above, the same part in a different country has a 100k mile extended warranty.

Since the HPFP on your '06 car there have been numerous revisions and changes in manufacturers - this is not an unfortunate fault on your car, it is inevitable.

If you don't get any joy from your dealership - get in touch with BMW UK and threaten some watchdog action.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 04:16 AM   #7
kdiz
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i SE

Garage List
I think somebody on here wrote about it and they paid less than £1000 inc parts and fitting at a BMW garage. If I remember was a few hours labour so around £400 or do, plus the part, still looking at maybe £700 ish???

Shame your in manchester mate, someone like Birds could do it for a lot less but that's too far for you to go.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 05:18 AM   #8
335i E92
Captain
Rep

I'm lucky to have one of the best Indy dealers (Darren Woods) in the UK on my door step.

My cars currently got an evolve map on it so it's gonna be difficult tryin to hammer BMW for goodwill, thoughts?

Woods only charge £40 ph labour so it'll only be £80. My car had a full software update in October that primes the lpfp each time the car is unlocked so I shouldn't need any updates. Do I also need to change the low pressure fuel sensor?

I wonder if BMW would give me some goodwill on just the part, with block exemption we are not bound to using the dealers for fitting are we?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 06:37 AM   #9
RichJ
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: E92 M-Sport 330i Le Mans Blue

From what you are saying it definitely sounds like the pump. I had the exact same symptoms as you and it was the pump. I had mine replaced for the 2nd time under warranty this week and the car feels much much better now. I asked the dealer and he said with VAT it would have been circa £700.

I'm sure though if you are out of warranty there should be some good will from BMW as this is a common very well known problem.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 10:19 AM   #10
335i E92
Captain
Rep

I'm now 100% that it's the hpfp...

Rich, did they also replace your low pressure fuel sensor?

Is it possible to get goodwill on just the part and get it fitted by my Indy? I can't really take the car in to my local BMW dealer with the map on and I will have to pay £120 diagnostic, they might not get the goodwill n then I'm sucked in to paying main dealer prices. If woods dignosis is the pump will this be good enough for BMW UK to supply it with goodwill, I'm suspecting they'll want it to go to a main dealer?

I rekon I can get it done by Woods for under £400. If anyone can chime in on the low pressure fuel sensor, would be appreciated.

Also as I want to ensure I get the very latest pump, does anyone have the part number for it. Mike, did you have your pump replaced recently?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 11:27 AM   #11
Fox530
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i xDrive

BMW will only offer Goodwill through the dealer networks - and on the complete job.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 12:07 PM   #12
RichJ
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: E92 M-Sport 330i Le Mans Blue

I'm not aware the low pressure fuel sensor was replaced. They said all the diagnostics led to the pump being faulty. As for good will, well you don't ak you don't get. it's been such a common issue globally that you should get something.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 02:24 PM   #13
335i E92
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
I'm not aware the low pressure fuel sensor was replaced. They said all the diagnostics led to the pump being faulty. As for good will, well you don't ak you don't get. it's been such a common issue globally that you should get something.
Hi Rich

I'm just gonna take it to my Indy as I'll have no headaches regarding the remap and it'll be half the cost of a BMW dealer who will give 50% off so no different.

I'll report back when I get a new pump fitted.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 02:54 PM   #14
335i E92
Captain
Rep

Does anyone know the latest generation part no for the hpfp? Just wanna make sure I get the very latest one and not one that's been on a shelf.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 04:00 AM   #15
335i E92
Captain
Rep

Just spoke to Mike at Woods...

They’ve hooked it up and it’s showing a wastegate fault, running some test modules now to find the exact cause but it seems like the wastegate aren’t closing.

I had the new 8mm actuators fitted last year by David Holmes in Stockport so I can’t see how they are playing up again. Also the symptoms are totally different to when the wastegate were rattling as I’ve now lost power.

I’m out of warranty and not looking forward to the diagnosis today. Had the car now 12 months and its already had the below

• New Turbo actuators
• 6 new coils
• 6 new injectors
• 12 plugs
• Back in now with wastegate problems.

Starting to loose the will to live with this car.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 05:30 PM   #16
fastloop
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M Sport

Man, you are not having much luck. I would almost gladly accept an HPFP issue than an issue with the wastegates. I hope it's something simple like a vacuum hose that's popped off or a bad solenoid than anything physically to do with the actuators or turbos. Mr. 5 had a vacuum hose crumple. Number #5 or #6 in this picture. These are the hard plastic pipes that go over the engine under the engine cover.

http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E9...turbo_charger/

I guess Darren Woods will be checking the vacuum hoses, solenoids and FMIC pipe work for any loose connections. Do you know what the exact fault code was as this may help you find the cause.

I hope you didn't have to pay for the parts you listed above as the injectors are stupidly expensive.

My repair list doesn't look too dis-similar:
3x Software updates
6x Injectors
7x Spark plugs (some changed multiple times)
4x Ignition coils
1x Water pump
1x Set of brake check vacuum valves

Most has been covered under warranty with the exception of a few coils & spark plugs that I changed myself. I would go as far as saying the injectors , plugs and coils weren't necessary as the root cause was bad DME software. So I would not have been happy if I had to pay £2000+ to change all the injectors only to find out that it's was a software issue with the DME. However this is the blanket lets replace all approach that some dealers take, rather than actually diagnosing the problem. I do appreciate that they try to minimize the impact and number of visits to the customer and prevent the fault from reoccurin. But some times messing around too much with unnecessary parts also causes problems.

I'm looking to get my actuators replaced soon and I'm not having a huge amount of confidence in my HPFP lasting another year. So I'm not far off having ticked all the boxes for known issues.... I think there are only Vanos and Turbo's left, so knock on wood I'll avoid those.

Hopefully it will be something simple, so hang in there.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 03:04 AM   #17
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

H,

Hopefully its something simple like low vacuum pressure or similar.

It makes sense that wastegates not closing fully would lose you power,

There are no position sensors on the actuators AFAIK, so the ECU will just see a under-boost condition I would have thought?? i.e. it isn't getting the boost it is demanding, but this could be a leak also, it would have to be a big leak though.

The other week on a long steep climb over Woodhead pass, as I changed gear flat out at top of second gear, one of my Divertor valves blew off the charge pipe (not locked in place properly), there was almighty pop and lots of hissing, but in the mile or so it took me to pull over I had not one single error code, despits a HUGE boost leak. I checked for codes with my BT lead later.

The car went OK too, a bit sluggish and hissing like mad, but no errors codes.

Fingers crossed for you
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 04:09 AM   #18
335i E92
Captain
Rep

Morning all

Sounds like we’ve all had our fair share shite. Very odd you didn't throw a code when you blew your pipes off Mike?

Spoke to Darren last night at Woods and it’s NOT turbo related at all. When I limped in to Woods on Saturday Mike briefly disconnected the vacuum lines on the actuators when trying to diagnose so the codes that the car threw were related to that and not an actual issue with the turbos. They carried out further test yesterday on the turbos and actuators and they are fine. Praise the Lord!!

After resetting the codes yesterday the car was running 100%. However the car threw a lpfp / low pressure fuel sensor code so we are confident now that this is a fuel supply issue as suspected.

As the low pressure sensor is the cheapest part (£48) we are starting by replacing this today. It’s a bit of a bitch to get to (behind intake manifold) so will be a couple of hours labour.

Doing a bit of digging, this sensor is thougt to be a likely cause of hpfp / lpfp failures as it sends faulty readings to the pumps. So for me a worth while part to replace and something everyone should be questioning if they ever have to replace the fuel pumps or just want to protect the ones they have.

I’m picking the car up tonight so we’ll see how I get on. If it’s a fix then it’ll be a result but personally I think it will be a replacement of hpfp or lpfp on the horizon.

As I said for the cost it’s a no brainer to do the sensor 1st

I’ll report back

H

Last edited by 335i E92; 03-01-2011 at 04:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 10:33 AM   #19
ALF_E90
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330i - see classifieds...

Some of these symptoms are quite similar to what mine is now doing (see "another 6 injector replacement"). When mine first started to play up a re-start would often clear it totally, and the light. Now the engine warning light stays on all the time (yellow not red) but after a re-start, after idling for a while, or after decelerating or driving very slowly for a time it can feel mostly OK, then starts to judder and misfire - but not as markedly as when a coil pack went a few weeks back - then it was on 5 cylinders all the time and felt worse than this.

Amazingly luckily for me I bought the "Gold" warranty recently so in my case I hope they change all the coils and plugs to go with the new injectors, and the HPFP!

Interesting that it might be this sensor causing the issues not the pump itself...
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 01:46 PM   #20
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
good luck sortin your issues out OP...

the 335i engine is great...when it works!...
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 06:38 AM   #21
335i E92
Captain
Rep

Darren woods are simply the best thing that ever happend to my car. Super lucky to have them on my door step.

I dumped the car on them on Sunday night and they still squeezed me in, no problem . They also stayed behind until 7.30 on Tuesday until my car was sorted, top blokes, top service!!!

They changed the low pressure fuel sensor and reset the codes and the car is back in business. I still have the idle shakes and shivers and suspect the hpfp or lpfp as the cause, one of them will need replacing soon i'm sure.

Again can't thank Darren & Mike enough, without doubt in the top few indys in the country.

Thanks for the post guys, i'll let you know how i get on in a feew weeks.

H
Appreciate 0