2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding 6NR and your phone

02-23-2011, 01:47 PM   #1
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i Msport

6NR and your phone

Anyone know what phones will work with the 6NR and smartphone integration suite? I have gotten it on my build week 13, seemed like an option I didnt want to be without going forward. I dont have an iphone, I have a G1 and an Ericsson Saito (considered a smartphone I believe).

Will there be a cradle for either one of those and will they work in the manner the iphone will, internet access, etc?

Also, is it possible to plug my 120gb Ipod (always connected) and a smartphone at the same time?

Besides a few general statements here and there, I really don't understand fully what 6NR means and how to take advantage of it.

Thanks
      02-23-2011, 02:20 PM   #2
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by delvek View Post
Anyone know what phones will work with the 6NR and smartphone integration suite? I have gotten it on my build week 13, seemed like an option I didnt want to be without going forward. I dont have an iphone, I have a G1 and an Ericsson Saito (considered a smartphone I believe).

Will there be a cradle for either one of those and will they work in the manner the iphone will, internet access, etc?

Also, is it possible to plug my 120gb Ipod (always connected) and a smartphone at the same time?

Besides a few general statements here and there, I really don't understand fully what 6NR means and how to take advantage of it.

Thanks
First things first.you will have Combox as you already know. It will allow you to hook up any availble phone and give you Office functions on any phone with OS6 software. You can check other threads along with information provided by BMW to check which specific phones are compatible.

6NR is going to be a software update for i-Phone users using the cradle feature in the car. (To take full advantage of this you will need an i-phone) It will allow for Twitter, Facebook, and Web Radio streaming. I believe you can indeed plug both the i-Pod (through the white cable directly to the armrest USB) and the i-Phone in the armrest cradle at the same time. According to another thread, BMW is running into some overheating issues with cradles for the latest model i-Phones and are in a re-design phase to include a cooling fan for the unit. (These are the cradles you have to purchase seperately from BMW for your car.) I guess like computers, the phone's CPU gets fairly hot running all it's applications.

As far as other phones on the market, software downloads for updates will be forthcoming from BMW. They were not ready when the Combox came out in September. It remains to be seen on how many features will translate to Blackberry and other Smart phone makers.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 02:31 PM   #3
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i Msport

thanks for your explanation. I know now more then I did. I hope it isnt 250 poorly spent as I never twittered or facebooked, really i was hoping to gain total internet access through my phone onto the display. Music goes through Ipod, I have 120gb full. Maybe the ipod interface will be smoother. Are the now saying use the Apple USB cord not the BMW cord I bought?
      02-23-2011, 02:51 PM   #4
RyanS
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi M-Sport

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=492861
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 04:04 PM   #5
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by delvek View Post
thanks for your explanation. I know now more then I did. I hope it isnt 250 poorly spent as I never twittered or facebooked, really i was hoping to gain total internet access through my phone onto the display. Music goes through Ipod, I have 120gb full. Maybe the ipod interface will be smoother. Are the now saying use the Apple USB cord not the BMW cord I bought?
With the Combox, came the ability to use the Aple cord directly to the USB in the armrest. (also get the added feature of Album artwork, which is pretty cool) The "Y" adaper that BMW provided is no longer required.

As far as getting internet. That will be coming at some point, but am not sure it will be avialble with your March car, or if additional software upgrades will be required. Also probably dependent on the phone and whether or not it has the proper software as well. Like I said, it is coming, but may take some more time.

Spending 250 is a drop in the bucket compared to the rest of the car. If you wnat the latest technollogy, it makes getting it up front all that easier. Case in point why I ordered (and paid a slightly higher price) a second car for the September Combox upgrade. I don't have to worry about whether or not any retro-fits will be available down the road. From here, it is all software, which can easily be downloaded to those post September cars. In fact, past an initial dealer installed software, BMW is evidently going to do upgrades over their website, so we can download to a memory stick and install ourselves.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 04:48 PM   #6
ksoze
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghueser View Post
Case in point why I ordered (and paid a slightly higher price) a second car for the September Combox upgrade. I don't have to worry about whether or not any retro-fits will be available down the road. From here, it is all software, which can easily be downloaded to those post September cars. In fact, past an initial dealer installed software, BMW is evidently going to do upgrades over their website, so we can download to a memory stick and install ourselves.
Although info is still sketchy, that ability to updating the combox through USB stick seems to specifically relate to updated bluetooth profiles only. According to the BMW website and combox technical docs available, it is to allow newer BT phone profiles to be updated by the driver as they come to market by downloading the new profiles from the BMW site. The ability to upgrade the actual combox software itself was not mentioned. It is to be available 4/2011.

Last edited by ksoze; 02-23-2011 at 04:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 05:03 PM   #7
tallshorty
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghueser View Post
Case in point why I ordered (and paid a slightly higher price) a second car for te September Combox upgrade. I don't have to worry about whether or not any retro-fits will be available down the road. From here, it is all software, which can easily be downloaded to those post September cars. In fact, past an initial dealer installed software, BMW is evidently going to do upgrades over their website, so we can download to a memory stick and install ourselves.
I'm sorry to dissappoint you but the 6NR option cannot be retrofitted on pre-march models. This has been confirmed. So most of us are left out in the cold...again.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 10:30 PM   #8
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallshorty View Post
I'm sorry to dissappoint you but the 6NR option cannot be retrofitted on pre-march models. This has been confirmed. So most of us are left out in the cold...again.
That may be true, but any documents that I have seen so far still make this a grey area. At least not as specific as BMW was when they said that Pre Combox vehicles would not be able to be retro-fitable to Combox. It could be some amount of parts for 6NR, but suspect it is specifically related to equipping the i-Phone, and more or less an upgrade to newer software programming. I guess for me it sort of remains a mute point since I don't have an i-Phone, although many of you do.

Keep the faith. Combox was a huge deal for BMW to develop. According to one of their movies on u-tube, it was over three years in development. This is the basic "Hardware" we all need for the majority of future upgrades and will be the hardware they stick with for probably the next five years or more. That's why it was such a big deal that BMW pissed off so many perople by not having it ready for the F10 platform right at the start.

For now, 6NR is not a factor since I don't Facebook or Tweet. Web Radio would be cool, but once agian, since I have Blackberry, this may not be in the cards ever. I am more interested in getting any of the other numerous software upgrades that will eventually come out, such as internet access through the BB, more of i-Pod upgrades, etc.

Last edited by ghueser; 02-23-2011 at 10:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 11:13 PM   #9
tallshorty
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 535xi

I'm afraid the latest documents are crystal clear. See the PDF file attached to post #63
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=514177&page=3

6NR is not retrofittable to pre-march vehicles
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 11:21 PM   #10
AlBoston
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 740i xdrive & 2018 640GT

I am really annoyed about the 6NR and how BMW handled it. BMWNA had told me that I could have it added at the dealer, now that is all null and void according to their latest bulletin. I don't know how much I would have actually used it but I'm still annoyed that I missed it by 2 weeks.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 11:33 PM   #11
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallshorty View Post
I'm afraid the latest documents are crystal clear. See the PDF file attached to post #63
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=514177&page=3

6NR is not retrofittable to pre-march vehicles
Thanks tallshorty.........that does make it clear.
Appreciate 0