Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Need Advice: New Wheels

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

02-15-2011, 10:10 AM   #1
JackSpadesSI
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i

Need Advice: New Wheels

I drive a Jet Black 2011 335i (RWD, non-sport package). I have snow tires mounted on my stock BMW 17" wheels. I plan to buy new wheels and summer tires sometime before the end of April. While these new summer wheels/tires are on my car I will drive: 95% city/highway commute driving, 5% closed track performance driving.

I am completely lost with wheel selection - I don't know a thing about offset, or bolt pattern, or any of the other issues with wheel compatibility. What's a forged wheel?

My wants:
- I want bigger wheels than my 17" stock wheels, but I'm undecided between 18" or 19". If my budget allows, I would like to upgrade my brakes in the future, so the wheels I buy now had better fit those upgraded brakes.

- I want the widest wheels/tires that will practically fit my car, but not negatively impact my normal street driving.

- I want a strong/safe wheel that won't break from one tiny pothole (I live in Michigan, so potholes are a fact of life).

- If I don't buy actual BMW wheels, I want to be able to put a BMW roundel logo cap on the wheels.

As a reference, I love the BMW 313 wheels (but they're VERY expensive). More generally, I like 5-spoke wheel designs that have a lot of "open" room to see the brake rotors.

I don't have a budget set because I don't know what is realistic for decent new wheels. Consider the BMW 313's as the upper end of (and slightly out of) my price range.

Let the advice/recommendations begin!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 10:53 AM   #2
MassBimmer
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50

Garage List
2009 BMW  [9.24]
Check out the new Forgestar CF5...quality wheel for the money

http://www.**********s.com/Forgestar-CF5-Wheels-BMW.htm
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 03:46 PM   #3
ocemt816
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 jet black 328i lci/e92 m3

i just got vorsteiner cs1 for jet black lci, from what goes around on the forum, they're quality wheels. the forgestar massbimmer noted look really good too!
Appreciate 0