E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Question about windshield washer problem

02-11-2011, 07:23 PM   #1
fishheadback
Unknown
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Question about windshield washer problem

Ok, so Ive been doing some searching and all I have come up with is, oh your washer fluid is frozen etc etc etc. But I dont think my problem falls into that category.

So whats goin on is, I pull back on the wiper stalk, and nothing happens at all. Wipers dont move, no fluid, nothing. It looked to me like there were three fuses in the glovebox related to that component, and they are all ok. I used the washer a few weeks ago and it worked fine.

Now if you turn the wipers on, either stalk up, down, or Auto, they work fine. It has been very cold the past week or so, but I figured even if the fluid was frozen, which it isnt, the wipers would still do the 3 pass.

What am I overlooking??

Thanks in advance

No headlight washers by the way.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 05:03 AM   #2
infbp22
Rep
Drives: E30

I'm having a brain lapse (3am) but this is my guess...

The vehicle is equipped with a rain/light sensor. the wipers MAY not move unless it detects water on the windshield. I think this is overridden though when doing the wash function.

Simple test: while activating it (when its not working) have someone pour some water on the windshield. If the wipers work, you may have a blockage in the washer pump strainer/delivery issue.

If they still don't work it maybe be whats called the steering angle sensor w/ slip ring. This is the communication link between the wiper stalk switch and the vehicle network. The SZL is subject to a lot of movement and has been known to cause intermittent stalk switch failures (turn signals, etc). Try moving the steering wheel around and see if it comes back to life.

Just a shot in the dark
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 05:19 AM   #3
slowSwede
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335 coupe

I'm pretty sure it's not the fluid that's frosen.
When that happens to me the wipers always go off when I try to spray.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 11:35 AM   #4
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Do your wipers work normally? Without using the washer fluid?

If your fluid previously froze, the expansion could easily crack hoses and the filter inside the tank. If any debris got into the lines it could be clogged. Especially if the filter broke, maybe pieces went into your lines?

Have you checked the fluid? I know there is a sensor but maybe that's faulty?

Have you checked for any leaks? When you're stationary, try using the washer fluid and see if any fluid comes out under the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 11:48 AM   #5
fishheadback
Unknown
United_States
Rep

The wipers work in any mode except the wash position.

Pull the stalk back and nothing happens at all, dont hear the pump, wipers dont move.

It got really cold one morning and I used it, it sprayed and wiped but the fluid froze on my windshield. Right after that (20min) I siphoned out that fluid and put in some winter fluid. And now it doesnt do anything at all.

I tried to pull back on the stalk and pour water on the windshield to trigger the sensor but the wipers didnt budge.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 12:25 PM   #6
slowSwede
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335 coupe

The only time that has happened to me is when the wipers has stuck to the window due to ice. They simply freeze, but this doesn't seem to be your problem.

There should be no problems trying to spray and everything freezes from the chilling effects of the wind. Happens a number of times each season when driving in really cold weather.

Sound more like there's something that has broken, if not it's something that has frozen up on you. Try parking in a warm place for a couple of hours and see if that works.
I better add some antifreeze before heading out...
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 12:51 PM   #7
HpDellNestle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4

3 switches attach to a light bulb.
Turn Switch A, light on
Turn Switch B, light on
Turn switch C, light won't turn on
3 guesses which one is broken.

--smart axx HpDellNestle
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 03:32 PM   #8
WayneDoodle
Take Care!
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Sounds like a bad relay.
      02-12-2011, 05:14 PM   #9
fishheadback
Unknown
United_States
Rep

-----UPDATE------

Ok, so it got up to around 47* here today, and they work! I just got right in my car, started it up and tried the washer and it went right away.

But that still leaves me confused.

Is there some failsafe to keep it from working when it gets cold or what?

Or maybe my car is just wierd. Its been almost 2weeks of them NEVER working.

I guess Ill just keep an eye on it and go from there.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 07:41 PM   #10
HVYWGHT
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT

Garage List
The same thing happened to me a few weeks ago when it was bitter cold and the car had sat out. Nothing would happen when pulling to wash but the wipers would wipe. By the time I got home (1hr drive on the highway), the pull back would cause the wipers to swipe and the pump to make noise but still no fluid. After sitting in the garage overnight (not outside like the day before) where it was around 40F, all was well and it hasn't happened again.

I don't know why, but believe the fluid and everything in the lines was just frozen. I put lower freezing point washer fluid in to be sure too.
-'12 BMW 328i (E91): Tasman Green, Oyster, 6AT; 6/12-4/17
-'04 MINI Cooper (R50): Indi Blue w/White Top, Black, 5MT; 1/04-
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 06:57 AM   #11
PUKI
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90

I have got the same problem as you. I am living in the tropical country. When I trigger the wiper stalk the water spraying very little, like the water pump are not working.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 01:33 PM   #12
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUKI View Post
I have got the same problem as you. I am living in the tropical country. When I trigger the wiper stalk the water spraying very little, like the water pump are not working.
I recently had that problem. A small amount of fluid would come out of the nozzles, none out of the headlight washers, but the rear window washer worked normally. And there was also a small pool of fluid under the left front of the car.

The dealer found a clogged filter which they cleaned under warranty. Problem fixed.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 06:14 PM   #13
markehz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 / E70

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishheadback View Post
Ok, so Ive been doing some searching and all I have come up with is, oh your washer fluid is frozen etc etc etc. But I dont think my problem falls into that category.

So whats goin on is, I pull back on the wiper stalk, and nothing happens at all. Wipers dont move, no fluid, nothing. It looked to me like there were three fuses in the glovebox related to that component, and they are all ok. I used the washer a few weeks ago and it worked fine.

Now if you turn the wipers on, either stalk up, down, or Auto, they work fine. It has been very cold the past week or so, but I figured even if the fluid was frozen, which it isnt, the wipers would still do the 3 pass.

What am I overlooking??

Thanks in advance

I know this thread is old, but I'm having the exact same problem.
It's also quite cold right now around here, but it wouldn't make any sense that this feature doesn't work when cold.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 10:34 AM   #14
thefrog1394
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Same issue here. Ran our of washer fluid and/or the fluid froze up. Added more fluid and the low washer fluid light went off. But now when I pull the wiper stalk nothing happens. Doesn't even sound like the pump is making any noise. No wiper movements at all. It is around 6 degrees here so hoping the issue is just that the wiper fluid froze up and that there is some sort of failsafe to prevent the wipers from wiping without fluid. Guess we'll see when it warms up. In the mean time I'll be trying not to crash looking through a salt-covered windshield.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 10:39 AM   #15
JustDriveIt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe E92 Black

There's a filter that costs 16cents that gets clogged up pretty easily. BMW charges $300 to replace it. You have to take the front-right wheel off. I remember finding a DIY here that had pictures and videos but now for the life of me I can not find it and of course it's something I need to do.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 09:53 AM   #16
Shaolin976
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 325XI Wagon

I've got the same problem with no cold weather. It's 70 degrees here. My wipers work fine. My back wiper and spray work fine. When I try and use the front spray nothing happens. No wiper movement. No "small amount of fluid" coming out. No sound from the pump. Nothing. I checked the 3 fuses listed. Ideas?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 02:47 PM   #17
demian5
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 e90 330i Sport/Premium/Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishheadback View Post

What am I overlooking??

Thanks in advance

I know this is a very old thread, but what was the fix?

I found this to help me. Seems the issue would be the level sensor.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...7#post21971217
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 01:33 AM   #18
JonOhh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' 330i

Garage List
Despite this thread being many years old at this point, I feel the need to add this because it could have been helpful when I had this issue.

If pulling the stalk to the "wash" position results in absolutely nothing happening (no pump noise, no wiper movement, no headlight washers, no relay clicking) it IS possible for the washer pump itself to be at fault.

When my 06' had this issue, I was initially concerned the stalk itself had failed (not cheap!), but after months of it not working, I replaced the pump with a Febi unit from FCP (was stupid cheap, I believe in the realm of $10) and immediately, the wash function, with wipers, headlight washers, and sprayers, began to work again.

I hope this helps anyone else who comes across this issue.

Cheers
Appreciate 0