Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Opinion: Repair or Replace winter rim?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

02-11-2011, 08:08 AM   #1
MrSteak
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' 335i Coupe (6-speed)

Unhappy Opinion: Repair or Replace winter rim?

Have a slightly bent 17" RIAL SALERNO that's losing air pressure very slowly. Hit a pothole last season, and it didn't leak. Put them on my car in December, and they've been leaking maybe -2psi per day on average. Went to a tire shop, and they put the wheel/tire under water and there were no bubbles, so they suggested it may be the bead, the valve, stem, or just the bent rim.

- $85 (approx) Debating having the rim fixed locally. (Al's Hubcaps in Mineola?)

-$35 to have Firestone remount it and try to seal up the bead.

-$135 for a replacement wheel from Tirerack.

Any opinions, experience, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by MrSteak; 02-11-2011 at 08:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 08:44 AM   #2
BMWsky
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

I'd just replace the rim as it isn't that expensive.*

*Just had the same issue myself.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 10:18 AM   #3
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
My recommendation would be to get a replacement from TireRack your wheel will travel many a miles and is the safety factor between you and the road. Nothing to play with, you only have one life.

So the decision is quite simple don't you agree?

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 10:24 AM   #4
MrSteak
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' 335i Coupe (6-speed)

Thanks for the responses!

Bit the bullet, ordered a replacement from TireRack. Just figured I'd throw it out there in case anyone had some success stories with rim repair, or bear repairs.

Oddly enough, Rial stopped making these wheels in 30mm offset, so my replacement is 29mm now.
      02-11-2011, 10:28 AM   #5
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSteak View Post

Bit the bullet, ordered a replacement from TireRack. Just figured I'd throw it out there in case anyone had some success stories with rim repair, or bear repairs.

Oddly enough, Rial stopped making these wheels in 30mm offset, so my replacement is 29mm now.
Repairing a rim in my mind is never a good idea (if it is repaired in the tire sealing area). It would be taken too great a chance. Mind you repairing / polishing etc. is okay as long as you don't fool around with he tire sealing area/faces.

You made the right decision.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 10:48 AM   #6
BMWsky
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSteak View Post

It won't matter, that's what I'm running.
Appreciate 0