E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Convertible etiquette

02-09-2011, 07:33 AM   #1
ww007
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e93 335i

Garage List
Convertible etiquette

So I was leaving Costco yesterday and decided to put my top down and enjoy the nice sunny SoCal weather. As I just started to back out of my parking spot, I heard a woman say "Excuse me" and tell me to look before backing up (and not in a polite way). Of course, I was looking and did not see her walking from right to left because she was hugging the row of parked cars so tightly and my view was obscured by the adjacent vehicle. I stopped immediately and let her pass behind me (I didn't come anywhere near hitting her).

As she walked away, I could hear her mutter a**hole under her breath. So I uttered a "F*** you" under my breath but unfortunately I don't think she heard me. I wanted to run over that condescending b*tch. I had politely let her pass without saying a word and she did not even pause to make sure I stopped in time. I think the cursing was totally uncalled for. I hope she eventually wins a Darwin award by doing the same thing walking behind a semi

Anyway, this being my first 'vert, I was wondering what the proper etiquette in dealing with such a situation would be. I ask because a 'vert with the top down gives a much more personal connection to everyone on the road than a roofed car would.

Have any of you been in a situation where you were riding in a 'vert with the top down and exchanged pleasantries with other people, or vice versa? How did it feel? I'd like to hear your stories.

BTW, this is meant as more of a humorous / whimsical post that allows me to vent, so please no flaming
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 09:49 AM   #2
tofu-
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i Jet Black/Coral Red

She probably called you an ass because you did not apologize.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 09:58 AM   #3
Bimmer This
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

This happend to me a couple times.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 10:16 AM   #4
Transport3r
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 N55 E90

She probably would have had a different reaction if you were driving an old sebring convertible. Just saying.

Some people are just bitter about everything and will be prejudiced because you drive a nice car. I am always polite and friendly to people because that's the way I want to be treated by them. But some people are just assholes.

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 10:19 AM   #5
garage queen 335is
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 I8, 2016 M2, E46 M3 race

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuo View Post
She probably would have had a different reaction if you were driving an old sebring convertible. Just saying.

Some people are just bitter about everything and will be prejudiced because you drive a nice car. I am always polite and friendly to people because that's the way I want to be treated by them. But some people are just assholes.
Agree 100%
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 10:21 AM   #6
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

The proper etiquette here would be a loud, clearly audible "F*** You!"

Of you could just laugh and smile at her in a even more condenscending way.. thats guaranteed to get to her
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 10:44 AM   #7
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ww007 View Post
So I was leaving Costco yesterday and decided to put my top down and enjoy the nice sunny SoCal weather. As I just started to back out of my parking spot, I heard a woman say "Excuse me" and tell me to look before backing up (and not in a polite way). Of course, I was looking and did not see her walking from right to left because she was hugging the row of parked cars so tightly and my view was obscured by the adjacent vehicle. I stopped immediately and let her pass behind me (I didn't come anywhere near hitting her).

As she walked away, I could hear her mutter a**hole under her breath. So I uttered a "F*** you" under my breath but unfortunately I don't think she heard me. I wanted to run over that condescending b*tch. I had politely let her pass without saying a word and she did not even pause to make sure I stopped in time. I think the cursing was totally uncalled for. I hope she eventually wins a Darwin award by doing the same thing walking behind a semi

Anyway, this being my first 'vert, I was wondering what the proper etiquette in dealing with such a situation would be. I ask because a 'vert with the top down gives a much more personal connection to everyone on the road than a roofed car would.

Have any of you been in a situation where you were riding in a 'vert with the top down and exchanged pleasantries with other people, or vice versa? How did it feel? I'd like to hear your stories.

BTW, this is meant as more of a humorous / whimsical post that allows me to vent, so please no flaming

Do as the monkeys do... sling feces at her.

You already know the right answer based on your last sentence. Smile, wave, and move on with your life - it's just not worth the trouble of getting aggravated. If she's hot, buy her lunch - hot chicks like ass holes (which she called you).
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 10:48 AM   #8
ChasVS
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 MB ML350 Bluetec

Your response should have been: "Sorry, I don't know how I could have missed such a FAT ASS as yours!"
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 10:50 AM   #9
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

I agree with the comment a few posts back. She was just jealous of your BMW and the fact that you almost ran her over had nothing to do with it.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 11:26 AM   #10
Ryland
Rep
Drives: 08 328i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
I agree with the comment a few posts back. She was just jealous of your BMW and the fact that you almost ran her over had nothing to do with it.

CA
No it's because he was at costco! Most of the people in there are just A holes. I walked through the exit once to get a hotdog before I shopped and the lady that looks at your recipt followed me all the way into the store so she could see my costco card. Under my breath I said "jesus christ" and she told me I shouldn't say things like that infront of my daughter (who was with me and 3 at the time) I got so angry!!! Anyways I don't shop there anymore because that was the first of many bad experiances with both customers and workers. Try going to costco on a saturday afternoon and see how many people won't simply move their carts so you can get by or knowingly stand or walk right in your way. I think the people who shop there have issues.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 11:53 AM   #11
rhodesman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E88 135i

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAMidge View Post
If she's hot, buy her lunch - hot chicks like ass holes (which she called you).

Mods: JB4, Trebila Custom tune, FBO, Fuel-It Stg2 LPFP, Berk Street Performance w/ Berk Resonated Midpipes, & lots of little body/OEM+ mods
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 01:34 PM   #12
Edward
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013.9999 E92 Jerez ZCP

Lol. If you made someone angry and they act up, you've already won. They carry on being upset about something so stupid. Last week I made a right turn at a light and some guy was stepping into the street while I was making the turn and he was so mad that I took the light that he gave my back window a hard tap with his hand as I drove through. I wish I ran over his foot.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 02:36 PM   #13
Deltari09
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 3-Series Coupe

lol jealousy at it's best
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 02:39 PM   #14
hipnotic
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Garage List
2008 335i coupe  [7.00]
she likes your car
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 05:01 PM   #15
Coolieman1220
Banned
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

my friend had a drop top and it was always fun at red lights, you feel like everyone is watching you wanting to say something
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 05:02 PM   #16
machine
is also an E46 Fanatic
Canada
Rep
Drives: E70 35D

she wants you brah!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 05:12 PM   #17
gunsekun
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Why was she out of the kitchen in the first place???
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 05:42 PM   #18
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

You are better than Costo - stay away from there and WalMart and you will run into a better class of people!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 06:45 PM   #19
seej333
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

Garage List
2007 335i  [6.00]
...it's the same etiquette as if your windows were down in a hardtop :P
      02-09-2011, 07:54 PM   #20
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 SSII

Usually, I only have people ask me questions when I have the top down (What year is that? How do I get to blah street? Can I have some change? Would you like to buy some flowers?).

Once in Hollywood at a red light, I guess there was some girl in the van next to me that liked my car. The people in her van jokingly opened the side door so she could jump in. lol

I've always wondered if anyone every had issues with angry people or haters throwing stuff into their car when the top's down? Like cigarettes or a drink or something...

So far no one's done this to me, but I did have one guy throw a cigarette at me when I honked at him for cutting me off and forcing me to slam on the brakes (my top was up that time). I did have a Seagull in a parking lot get pretty close to hitting my head, though. Saw the giant poo streaking up my windshield and ducked! It ended up on the side of my chair and the back seat. lol
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 07:59 PM   #21
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuo View Post

This. Some immediately assume you must be an ignorant douchebag if you drive a nice car. The stereotype is understandable honestly (considering some people who drive nice cars ARE douchebags) but I go with the polite/friendly attitude the vast majority of the time too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
You are better than Costo - stay away from there and WalMart and you will run into a better class of people!
And this. Problem solved.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 08:06 PM   #22
EYE4SPEED
Ex-Diesel Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi SQ5

Having the top down puts you at risk for catching a "loogie" or getting a drink thrown in your car. As a past owner of an S4 convertible, I wouldn't recommend leaving your car alone with the top down. Lots of jealous people out there and cleaning an interior is a paint (even with bird presents).