E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Do BMW actually want to sell me a car?

02-05-2011, 05:47 PM   #1
SelSol
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 335D SE

Do BMW actually want to sell me a car?

I gotta say, I'm really fvcked off with BMW.

After several 335D's slipped through my fingers I managed to get hold of the one in my thread a few days ago. Now, the whole process has been a total ballache. I'd found several cars and the local dealer said they were all sold. The car I put a deposit down on last week was supposedly sold the friday before, but when I phoned the dealer direct they said it was still available.

Now I've put my deposit down, the salesman isn't fvcking interested. He was phoning me at 7pm on a sunday night to try and close the sale, and as soon as he had my deposit, he's dropped off the face of the earth.

To add to it, the finance dept hasn't returned any of my calls, so I've no idea if the finance is approved, they've ignored five emails, and several calls.

If I didn't want the car so much I'd have told them to stick it, but seriously, this is the most awkward £20k I've ever spent. I feel like I'm at the bottom of the rung because I'm not buying a £60k M3.

Should I take this further?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 05:50 PM   #2
G82Dude
-
Rep
Drives: M4CMxD

Tell them to stuff it; there will be others.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 05:54 PM   #3
SelSol
First Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uke92dude View Post
Tell them to stuff it; there will be others.
Meh, problem is, I've sold my existing car, using a hire car this week and collecting thursday. So not really an option.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 05:55 PM   #4
Jeff123
Jeff
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport x-drive F30

Advertise in this forum. There are plenty of 335d owners and some may wish to sell.

Don't take crap like that, start the whole process again if you have to.

Even consider buying a cheap runaround for a few weeks.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 05:56 PM   #5
G82Dude
-
Rep

Doh! That's a bugger then. Can always try hassling BMW UK CS.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 07:04 PM   #6
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Walk away.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 07:43 PM   #7
RockIt
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: Mercedes C350 Coupe

Garage List
My dealership were total cock wads when I bought my new E92. Strangely efficient when they sold me the TTS. Unlike Audi. A total set of uber shites. Tell them to feck off.

RockIt!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 08:07 PM   #8
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Coming soon-718 Cayman S

It's like that!! i had almost the same treatment, when i walked in and said im looking for a used 335i around 22-24k, feels like they don't want to bother and whats worse was when i ask if they can get me a car from a different dealership, they said i had to pay in full before they can bring the car down, i was like err...deposit is alright but im not getting the fiance ready since i haven't even seen the car..walked out and didn't even bother calling me.

buying a 10k Renault from Renault dealer , feels like they will lick your ass to buy, compare to these bums
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 02:06 AM   #9
SelSol
First Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoro35i View Post
It's like that!! i had almost the same treatment, when i walked in and said im looking for a used 335i around 22-24k, feels like they don't want to bother and whats worse was when i ask if they can get me a car from a different dealership, they said i had to pay in full before they can bring the car down, i was like err...deposit is alright but im not getting the fiance ready since i haven't even seen the car..walked out and didn't even bother calling me.

buying a 10k Renault from Renault dealer , feels like they will lick your ass to buy, compare to these bums
Thats exactly it! Seems that unless your handing over massive money for a brand new car, they just cant be bothered. Ultimately, I want the car, and I've only got to deal with them for the next few days, but seriously, I just dont understand their mentality.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 02:14 AM   #10
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

Try and buy from a dealer in the North, in my experience they are a lot more genuine and approachable.

My local Merc dealer in Beaconsfield are really up them selves, visited a dealer in Blackburn who was brilliant when I asked for a discount on parts they said no problem and gave 10%. The southern dealer said no chance and laughed.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 02:25 AM   #11
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC.

Had a similar experience at Benham Wolverhampton last week.
Looking at a 335d.
Salesman wanted a deposit before I'd even seen the car (It may be sold by the time you get here).
Had a look around the car for about 5 minutes, then salesperson took the keys out and retreated to the warm showroom.
Didn't offer a test drive, but wanted to talk money and how much I wanted for my E60.
Made an offer of £1000 less than the sticker price, but wouldn't move at all.
Walked out - there will be others.

Oddly, I saw the car on the website, but later saw it on the British Car Auctions site. The car went to the auction, but obviously never sold, as it came back to the dealers and went on sale at £1500 less. Maybe that's why he never moved on price.

Another thing that bugs me is that you go in to buy a car and the sales person spends most of his time in the back office, leaving you to twiddle your thumbs at his desk. And whilst I am having a whinge about sales persons, am I being old fashioned when I expect e-mails from a dealership to have correct spelling, grammar and punctuation??? (Not that I am perfect)

Mike
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 02:37 AM   #12
NightVisitant
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M-Sport 2011

Not sure who's been in charge of recruitment at BMW franchises in recent years, but I hold them responsible for the poor customer service that seems to be common all round the country with BMW. For the exception of an outstanding few, I think it's time to dish out the pink slips and start all over.

A customer is a customer
They need your help, you need their money
Do your job properly and everybody is a winner

I would strongly advise dealers against the "more money spent, better customer service" attitude, because the big spenders are few, and the little spenders are many, and when many people talk, you WILL have to address the reason to the few or you lose both.

Wise up!

Last edited by NightVisitant; 02-06-2011 at 02:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 03:40 AM   #13
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Garage List
Not as bad but I also received average service from local dealers. So cast my net Nationwide and bought the car from Sytners, Leicester. They couldn't have done any more tbh. Very helpful, efficient and got loads of extras thrown in for my money. Cash may have helped but regardless of that, I was impressed. Worth a call. You also get extra support from Anneka on here.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 03:40 AM   #14
SelSol
First Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR1969 View Post
-My local Merc dealer in Beaconsfield are really up them selves, visited a dealer in Blackburn who was brilliant when I asked for a discount on parts they said no problem and gave 10%. The southern dealer said no chance and laughed.
To be fair to our local merc dealer, Robinsons in Cambridge are, fantastic, they really were on the ball and they couldn't possibly have done anything better when I had my SLK. The Peterborough one is absolutely pap though. The guys had several CLK 320 sports through his forecourt and didn't phone me about any of them (its was 335D / CLK 320 cdi or A5d when I was looking).
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 03:42 AM   #15
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Garage List
I found Audi dealers to be really really poor all over the UK. Considered an A4 3.0 TDI. Luckily the dealers put me right off them!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 03:47 AM   #16
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
What has happened to good old fashioned courtesy these days??
This situation you find yourself in is wholly unacceptable - you wouldn't be treated like this in a F*rd or similar showroom, BMW seem to treat buyers as second class citizens.

Plenty of cars available elsewhere, surely Steve? I found mine via Pistonheads at a non-franchised dealer, no problems, was treated well etc.

How do you go about reclaiming your deposit?
      02-06-2011, 04:31 AM   #17
FieldingMellish
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 330D M Sport auto

Every single person I know who owns a BMW says they were treated like sh1t while testing and buying the car, and every single one says that when they take their car in for a service or fault check, they come out feeling sullied and demeaned by the experience. We all know dealers (of all sorts) lie continually; the difference these days is that they don't even bother to pretend to respect you.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 04:37 AM   #18
Spaceman330D
Private
Rep
Drives: E91 330D Msport

my boss at work is selling his A/W 335D coupe with red nappa.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 04:52 AM   #19
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
We had a good experience with they guys at Rybrook Worcester (Used to be Robert Stern) both times we purchased used cars. Always have a chat with them when I am ever back. Staff at that branch seem to have been there for a good few years.
      02-06-2011, 05:36 AM   #20
Jeff123
Jeff
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport x-drive F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by FieldingMellish View Post
Every single person I know who owns a BMW says they were treated like sh1t while testing and buying the car, and every single one says that when they take their car in for a service or fault check, they come out feeling sullied and demeaned by the experience. We all know dealers (of all sorts) lie continually; the difference these days is that they don't even bother to pretend to respect you.
True.

Maybe it's all down to the marque. BMW's seem to scrore poorly on consumer tests, such as the JD Power one. Maybe the owners are predominantly more business savvy than (say) the average Renault punter.

Thinking about it, who (in their right mind) would walk into a Renault dealership and part with £20k for a new car - just to find in three years time it's worth £5k trade-in. But many people do!

One of the previous posters mentioned the fact that you are left alone for much of the buying process - again true. You feel like a complete pr**k sitting alone at a desk in the showroom whilst some poncy salesman tells you he can't throw some trade price floor matts into the deal - having disappeared for 10 minutes to supposedly ask his boss.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 07:01 AM   #21
SteveF1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D M Sport

Demand to speak with the dealership principal or at the very least the sales manager, forget the duchebag you dealt with. If they fob you off and tell you they are unavailable threaten to speak with BMW UK about poor customer care and you should soon get a callback from the dealer principal.

I found the salesman that sold me a BMW to be relatively helpful, as soon as I walked into the dealer he had the keys out on the desk ready and within 2 minutes of arriving I was test driving the car. I bought the car that day, payment made at around dinner and the car ready and prepped by 5pm so I could drive it home. He was relatively smarmy, rushed me through the process a little too much and refused to drop the price but he did throw in a full tank and 12 months tax but I knew for the car it was a very good price for a BMW dealer so I accepted that.

The purchasing dealer provided better customer service than my local dealer but both have had their fair share of providing poor front of house customer service to which I only ever deal with the service manager now if I have any major problems. Both service managers I have dealt with have been exemplary though.

Overall BMW customer care I rate as average.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 07:33 AM   #22
G82Dude
-
Rep

I think it's because they have to do some work. A second hand car has to be "sold", whereas the sales staff for new vehicles or "order takers" as I call them just press a few buttons, collect their commission, which they much prefer. They are just glorified administration staff in a black suit.

And to pick up on an earlier point, BMW(s) for both reliability and customer service has dropped dramatically recently. Wake up and smell the roses BMW, times they are a changing; your products don't just sell themselves anymore. And if you continue to dilute the brand further with some of your poorly conceived products you will find it gets worse...

Last edited by G82Dude; 02-06-2011 at 07:40 AM..
Appreciate 0