E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > HPFP recall update gone wrong!

02-05-2011, 01:03 AM   #1
jbake
OG
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

HPFP recall update gone wrong!

I took my car in for routine maintenance and the service advisor said I needed the hpfp recall software update. I was supposed to get my car yesterday but he called me in the afternoon saying the update had failed and since it takes 6 hours that they would do it tomorrow (today). So today I get another call this afternoon saying that while my car was being updated there machine crashed and that they could not get it working again. He also told me that they do not know if it crashing in the middle of the update "fried" the electronics in my car.

Anyone here heard of this problem before? If my electronics are fried is my car basically junk? Any thoughts are welcomed. I really want my car back, and it sucks I'm stuck with a chevy impala rental car. Pretty crappy from a tuned 335.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 01:27 AM   #2
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Your car is not junk, the components can be replaced if need be. The real question is did it actually brick your cars computer system or not. The only way they will know is to try the update again but from the sounds of it that's going to be a while. If they did manage to brick your car get use to not having it back anytime soon.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 06:54 AM   #3
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

The same thing happened to me, only 6 days later I got my car back. Now I forget but there were over 200 miles more on my odometer and the fuel was 3/4 empty, when it was full when dropped off.

We've all updated firmware on a FiOS router, laptop, etc. It makes a person wonder how hard it could be. They act like they're performing David Letterman's quintuple bypass or something, and that the car may reject the update. I think it's a lack of expertise but what do I know.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 07:35 AM   #4
Rustang Cobra
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: like a Masshole

Same thing happened to me when I brought it in to have my iPod cable replaced.

"Sir, you can pick it up later today". 5 days later "We're having issues loading the newest software updates on your car, but we believe you can pick it up tomorrow". 'Uhhh, what software updates, you never told me or asked if you could do this? I came in for a quick iPod cable fix, not some 5 day debacle" "Sorry, the computer kept crashing while doing the update so you can't pick up your car until its done"
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 07:47 AM   #5
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustang Cobra View Post
Same thing happened to me when I brought it in to have my iPod cable replaced.

"Sir, you can pick it up later today". 5 days later "We're having issues loading the newest software updates on your car, but we believe you can pick it up tomorrow". 'Uhhh, what software updates, you never told me or asked if you could do this? I came in for a quick iPod cable fix, not some 5 day debacle" "Sorry, the computer kept crashing while doing the update so you can't pick up your car until its done"
I'm not stupid, just put up with a lot of c*** with BMW. So I asked why it was taking so long after the third set of excuses. The SA said they had to FedEx the DME to BMWNA. Because I was tired of the lame excuses I asked him for the tracking number. LOL When you think about it, all these stories are true. Nobody can contain costs when running a business like that, unless they can pass it on to the customer. If under warranty, they can't. So they have to cut corners, be it lack of trained personnel, refusing services, charging BMWNA for parts that were never installed, whatever. Increase revenue, or cut costs. Which do you think a service department can realistically do?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 08:22 AM   #6
ChasVS
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 MB ML350 Bluetec

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
I'm not stupid, just put up with a lot of c*** with BMW. So I asked why it was taking so long after the third set of excuses. The SA said they had to FedEx the DME to BMWNA. Because I was tired of the lame excuses I asked him for the tracking number. LOL When you think about it, all these stories are true. Nobody can contain costs when running a business like that, unless they can pass it on to the customer. If under warranty, they can't. So they have to cut corners, be it lack of trained personnel, refusing services, charging BMWNA for parts that were never installed, whatever. Increase revenue, or cut costs. Which do you think a service department can realistically do?
Boy, it must be great to be so damn good at everything! You must be rich as hell knowing everything about everything and never ever making a mistake!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 08:32 AM   #7
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasVS View Post
Boy, it must be great to be so damn good at everything! You must be rich as hell knowing everything about everything and never ever making a mistake!
And I have a 100% success rate with the ignore list too!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 11:22 AM   #8
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
The same thing happened to me, only 6 days later I got my car back. Now I forget but there were over 200 miles more on my odometer and the fuel was 3/4 empty, when it was full when dropped off.

We've all updated firmware on a FiOS router, laptop, etc. It makes a person wonder how hard it could be. They act like they're performing David Letterman's quintuple bypass or something, and that the car may reject the update. I think it's a lack of expertise but what do I know.
It's more complicated that a router, laptop, etc. The update is not difficult to perform but these updates have dependencies meaning there are multiple chips that need to be written to before the target ones so they all work together, that's what can end up taking so long. Sounds like this dealer had a POS computer they were using for updates, if it crashed in the middle of the update where it had erased a chip and not written anything to it or only partially written it's essentially bricked. You need to yank out and replace, no way around it.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 11:36 AM   #9
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tag824 View Post
It's more complicated that a router, laptop, etc. The update is not difficult to perform but these updates have dependencies meaning there are multiple chips that need to be written to before the target ones so they all work together, that's what can end up taking so long. Sounds like this dealer had a POS computer they were using for updates, if it crashed in the middle of the update where it had erased a chip and not written anything to it or only partially written it's essentially bricked. You need to yank out and replace, no way around it.
It does make me wonder, though, how can they run a business like that? A customer expects to pick up their car that day, and it ends up being 6 days with a loaner. Can anyone debunk the myth behind the BMW loaner? Who is paying for that? Because the two dealerships that I have used offer free loaners to anybody. The dealership I went to do my state inspection (because I avoid my selling dealership like the plague and the one I use by work is in another state across the river) only offers free BMW loaners to customers who a) bought the car from them b) car is under warranty. Anybody else has to pay.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 11:40 AM   #10
N54_Fan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasVS View Post

I would disagree John,....the service departments make money by you being under warranty because they change everything that is under warranty and then some and charge BMWNA. They may not get as much money as if you paid retail but they have a captive audience (when you are under warranty) that is usually happy they replaced all the miscellaneous crap. When you are out of warranty that is why they work around to find parts and occassionally give you a break on service fees etc. This is a little bit like hospital remibursements from Health Insurance Co...they charge what they want but accept what is agreed upon. They make their money on volume. Just my .02.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 12:01 PM   #11
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54_Fan View Post

I would disagree John,....the service departments make money by you being under warranty because they change everything that is under warranty and then some and charge BMWNA. They may not get as much money as if you paid retail but they have a captive audience (when you are under warranty) that is usually happy they replaced all the miscellaneous crap. When you are out of warranty that is why they work around to find parts and occassionally give you a break on service fees etc. This is a little bit like hospital remibursements from Health Insurance Co...they charge what they want but accept what is agreed upon. They make their money on volume. Just my .02.
They do not want to have say all 46 bays tied up with cars under warranty. When out of warranty cars show up, the warranty cars are bumped for "paying customers" who show up for $1800 EVAP replacements. Do you really think any job takes 6 days to complete, the job in itself?

I think you are in a way arguing against yourself. Call around my area for an oil change, it varies from $100 to $185. Warranty will pay the same, but customers out of warranty will pay the true asking price. The dealer charging $185 for an oil change absolutely wants every non-warranty job they can get.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 02:30 PM   #12
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

My car has been flashed 2 or 3 times now and each time it has taken numerous attempts to get it right. It's always taken a couple days. Pretty sad when you think about it
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 04:40 PM   #13
techlogik
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i Dravit Grey

This is all part of BMW's problems today. They want to have all of this technology, but they don't have it perfected by any means, and the dealers haven't a clue or the ability to support it either since they aren't BMW AG.
      02-05-2011, 05:14 PM   #14
GRLPWR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
As frustrating as it is, I'm glad I'm not the only one who's experienced the software update crash. I took mine in on a Friday, would've been returned same day, but it crashed so I had to wait until Monday "to see if we can get it right".
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 05:25 PM   #15
ErvGotti
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRLPWR View Post
As frustrating as it is, I'm glad I'm not the only one who's experienced the software update crash. I took mine in on a Friday, would've been returned same day, but it crashed so I had to wait until Monday "to see if we can get it right".
Same boat here they've had my car since friday, but unlike the OP I'm rolling in a 2011 Z4 Sdrive30i so it doesn't really bother me.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 07:18 PM   #16
luckyu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i, 1998 328i

Quote:
[...] Call around my area for an oil change, it varies from $100 to $185. Warranty will pay the same, but customers out of warranty will pay the true asking price. The dealer charging $185 for an oil change absolutely wants every non-warranty job they can get.
In my area too, there is a big difference between what a dealer gets for warranty work, and what they get from paying customers. I don't know how they *get* paying customers, frankly, now that Yelp ratings just destroy dealerships here, and there are so many excellent independent shops that specialize in BMWs in the area. I mean there are 5 within 15 minutes of me. I'm with you John, I don't see how dealerships make money either.

Bricking a DME for a software update seems incredibly stupid. I'm thinking of the out-of-warranty case. Suppose you bring your car in to fix some rough running issue, and it requires an update. Then they brick your DME and charge you a thousand bucks? Software updates are going to become very common and mandatory, like they are on game consoles. Bosch needs to hire some decent software guys, or I don't know what.

One more thing. If you read Jim Conforti's manual for the shark injector, you can get an idea of the re-flash process. It's incredibly flaky, and for some reason you need to hook up a battery charger, because the battery by itself can't provide the current for the electronics without dropping below 12V. And if that happens, it interrupts the update. It's simply unbelievable how flaky it is.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 08:25 PM   #17
ErvGotti
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyu View Post
In my area too, there is a big difference between what a dealer gets for warranty work, and what they get from paying customers. I don't know how they *get* paying customers, frankly, now that Yelp ratings just destroy dealerships here, and there are so many excellent independent shops that specialize in BMWs in the area. I mean there are 5 within 15 minutes of me. I'm with you John, I don't see how dealerships make money either.

Bricking a DME for a software update seems incredibly stupid. I'm thinking of the out-of-warranty case. Suppose you bring your car in to fix some rough running issue, and it requires an update. Then they brick your DME and charge you a thousand bucks? Software updates are going to become very common and mandatory, like they are on game consoles. Bosch needs to hire some decent software guys, or I don't know what.
From what my SA explained to me is if you are under warranty and want to keep that warranty or get the car CPO'ed then you have to have you car updated with the software and recalls.

But if your out of warranty or just dont care cause your modded or such, then you have the right to refuse the software update, and if they do brick it they will only charge you for the update.

This is just what I've been told, as per my SA at my dealership.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2011, 08:34 PM   #18
GRLPWR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErvGotti View Post
Same boat here they've had my car since friday, but unlike the OP I'm rolling in a 2011 Z4 Sdrive30i so it doesn't really bother me.
Lucky you.....I had to get mine done over the long weekend that fell on MLK holiday so I wouldn't be w/o mine and have to share cars to go to work. I would've had to pay for a loaner. Maybe if mine was CPO'd, I would've gotten one free. (?)
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 09:46 AM   #19
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by techlogik View Post
This is all part of BMW's problems today. They want to have all of this technology, but they don't have it perfected by any means, and the dealers haven't a clue or the ability to support it either since they aren't BMW AG.
It has to do with a business model, such as 4 yrs. maintenance incl. Not to mention at least 1/2 of the drivers lease. The emphasis certainly is on the driving experience, and not reliability. I'm sure those who lease are perfectly ok with it, because to borrow the expression, they don't have skin in the game to which they really care if the car lasts 5 or 10 or 15 years. And BMW has responded with products that sometimes don't make it 3.

As informed consumers, we know all these things, but of course, when our car is out of commission for 6 mos. or longer with the same problem under warranty, and that car was paid off already and has a resale worse than a Hyundai, we still want to vent.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 10:45 AM   #20
Noah@CamberToe
E90Post Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 X Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRLPWR View Post
same here...such bullshit
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 12:52 PM   #21
luckyu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i, 1998 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErvGotti View Post
From what my SA explained to me [...] and if they do brick it they will only charge you for the update.

This is just what I've been told, as per my SA at my dealership.
That sounds reasonable... thanks Erv!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 03:27 PM   #22
jbake
OG
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Well, I finally got my car back today. So shady, they called me to pick it up at around 10AM. My SA on Friday said that the process takes 6 hours to complete. I think they were just buying time!

Either way, anyone else notice the exhaust is a bit louder after the update?
Appreciate 0