E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Blame it on Dinan....

02-04-2011, 06:23 AM   #1
Potty_Pants
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Genesis Sedan Rspec

Blame it on Dinan....

Hey guys,

So I get my 5 injectors replaced and HPFP under the recall notice.
and the Surging at WOT has gone WOOHOO.

however three days later when the car is started the throttle immediately revs to 1500-1000-1500-1000-1500. up down up down like crazy... most of the warning lights come on and the check engine shows up. restarting the car allows me to drive w/o any further incident...

a week later it takes at least 4 restarts for this to stop. So i scheduled an appoint with the local dealer and two weeks later they get me in... within an hour they say there is a DSC error and DME error... literally a CPU error.

next they state they hook it up the computer and find unknown software... they ask I inform Dinan. they said they will talk with the bmw rep since the computer sends the error code info.

Next a puma case is opened and the field rep (basically) says this is a known problem with dinan is fixed with a software update. While im not a big fan of dinan but it's real easy to pass the buck. perhaps this is a lesson somewhere in all this...?

I've been in contact with the dinan dealer and he believes this is all a crock and the problem never existing untill the first dealer worked on the car performing the recall. which i agree...

whatever the case is the dinan dealer is going to check out the car and hopefully fix it... though the distance involved to the dealer and the frequency of the occurances, also any off spec recall work will not make it easy to track.

I'll post the video and update after the inital drop off. my guess the car will be reprogrammed with either one or both bmw and dinan software and I'll be sent on my way.

has anybody heard of this throttle reving upon startup, btw gas pedal is disable immedately when this reving occurs.

thanks

ppp
Olds Starfire > Chevy Malibu > Isuzu I-mark RS & Honda Magna 500 > Grand Am GT & YSR50 > Nissan Maxima & Ninja 750 > X-Wife > Hyundai Excel > Honda Prelude > Honda Accord > Honda Prelude & Ninja 250> Infiniti G35 > E90 335i > Hyundai Genesis Rspec, Hyunadai Sonata > Kia Sorento > Honda CRV-EX
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 07:15 AM   #2
crl8474
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

I have the Dinan Stage II flash and had the same exact thing happen to me a few weeks ago. I restarted several times but ultimately had to get out, lock/unlock the doors and then restart which worked. Made an appointment with the dealer, which sells Dinan, but it didn't happen again so I never took it in. The scariest part was the deactivation of the gas pedal!!!

Please post your findings once they've figured it out. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 07:47 AM   #3
Potty_Pants
Colonel
United_States
Rep

the work around for me was to give the car gas immediately upon start up (before the tach goes down) and rev to 3k for a split second.

good to hear somebody else has it and I'll be sure to keep you in the loop.

ppp
Olds Starfire > Chevy Malibu > Isuzu I-mark RS & Honda Magna 500 > Grand Am GT & YSR50 > Nissan Maxima & Ninja 750 > X-Wife > Hyundai Excel > Honda Prelude > Honda Accord > Honda Prelude & Ninja 250> Infiniti G35 > E90 335i > Hyundai Genesis Rspec, Hyunadai Sonata > Kia Sorento > Honda CRV-EX
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 08:24 AM   #4
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Let's think this through logically.

Performing the HPFP recall includes reflashing software to prime the pump (amongst other things.) If the Dinan software is reflashed afterwards it overwrites the BMW software. Since Dinan hasn't rewritten their software to account for the pump priming I suspect that the glitch IS caused by Dinan.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 08:36 AM   #5
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb View Post
Let's think this through logically.

Performing the HPFP recall includes reflashing software to prime the pump (amongst other things.) If the Dinan software is reflashed afterwards it overwrites the BMW software. Since Dinan hasn't rewritten their software to account for the pump priming I suspect that the glitch IS caused by Dinan.
^ Totally illogical, Captain! I have Dinan S2 and had my recall reflash done 2 weeks ago along with a reflash of my Dinan SW over the BMW software. Absolutely no problems at all afterwards.

The Dinan reflash doesn't completely overlay all of the factory software, only some of the mappings. Not to say it's not happening with others, but the idea that Dinan reflash negates the recall's updates makes no sense. I have noticed the lpfp coming on when I unlock or open the door, which didn't happen previously. There may be a glitch, but it's not because of the Dinan reflash.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 09:43 AM   #6
Potty_Pants
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
^ Totally illogical, Captain! I have Dinan S2 and had my recall reflash done 2 weeks ago along with a reflash of my Dinan SW over the BMW software. Absolutely no problems at all afterwards.

Please note , the local dealer didnt flash my car because it was at an acceptable level... so dinan wasnt overwritten.

The Dinan reflash doesn't completely overlay all of the factory software, only some of the mappings. Not to say it's not happening with others, but the idea that Dinan reflash negates the recall's updates makes no sense. I have noticed the lpfp coming on when I unlock or open the door, which didn't happen previously. There may be a glitch, but it's not because of the Dinan reflash.
+1

while I dont have the most current version of bmw software... im one rev behind... i do have S2 overtop. so i do have the pump primeing addition.

Please note , the local dealer didnt flash my car because it was at an acceptable level... so dinan wasnt overwritten.

bmw docs express the concern to put the injectors back in the original ports... dunno but anything is possible, im not a bmw xpert but maybe they need to be recalibrated or maybe the new parts require an updated dinan version to update something. still 3 days after the recall it acts like this. I havent gone deep sea fishing in awhile but i do smell that smell.

ppp

Last edited by Potty_Pants; 02-04-2011 at 09:46 AM.. Reason: added car wasnt flashed
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 10:06 PM   #7
crl8474
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

I've thought the same thing about the latest factory software update and how it works with the Dinan flash.

I'm on my third HPFP and on the last visit to replace it the dealer loaded the latest BMW update and then had to reflash the Dinan. Since that time, I experienced this issue twice but both times were on very cold days so I wasn't sure if it was the BMW software, Dinan not working with the new software, another bad HPFP or something related to the cold engine/outside temperature. The last time I had the issue was about two weeks ago and since then the car has run okay although I've noticed considerably more lag.

I guess we need to contact Dinan to find out if the flash has any effect on the HPFP or somehow negates the supposed software solution implemented by BMW. I'll see what I can find out next week.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 05:52 AM   #8
Potty_Pants
Colonel
United_States
Rep

UPDATE:

completed wasted $$ , Gas and time.

Drove to Dinan dealer early in the morning (75 minutes away ... ugh)

all they did was take it for a test drive and say it works fine. IM LIKE WTF

After i calmed down i understand the rev problem hasnt happened since the codes were cleared at the local bmw place. not much they can do at this point just wish this was discussed prior to driving up there (no codes we'll do nothing)

wasted trip.

ppp

p.s. car is going to be out of factory/dinan warranty in may if this crops up again next winter , dealer stated nothing i can do about it besides pay for it.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 06:26 AM   #9
jrr
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

Interesting timing. Stage 2 and car was scheduled for 3/1 recall work. I guess the car got upset and started this past weekend to show it was going to trash the HPFP sooner. Now being picked up tomorrow for the hopeful trip to the dealer.

Called Dinan and asked specifically if there was an issue with reflashing over the the BMW reflash. They said they had no issues what so ever.

So now we have a credibility issue somewhere. My BMW dealer is also a certified Dinan shop so it makes it a little easier. "Don't send it back until its running perfectly".
Appreciate 0