E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > "bad carfax"

02-03-2011, 08:02 PM   #1
rocco
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 AW ZSP

"bad carfax"

My lease is up in five weeks ... I've contacted all of the local dealers and not one will budge on my residual of 29.3 (original MSRP 47.3) ...

Last May my cousin borrowed my car and rear-ended someone ... no damage to my car, but a police report was filed ... of course, now my car has a "bad carfax"

What gets me is that the dealers are almost too anxious to tell me this, and I can't decide if they are just trying to get me into something new/pre-owned or if they see $$$ in my car, certifying it and listing it for 5k more than residual (which is what my dealer quoted me).

I'm leaning towards keeping the car ... All the research I've done says it's a fair price ... plus, I;ve driven it since mile 4, and you can't put a pricetag on that.

My question is, for those with experience ... what have you found a bad carfax to cost you when selling or trading in your car? I plan on keeping this at least another three years, at which time the car will be 6 years old.

Thanks in advance.
      02-03-2011, 08:27 PM   #2
skiernan36
stick to your guns
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i 2012 Audi Q5 2.0T

i dont think theres much you can do, once a car has an accident reported and on carfax, its always going to have that "it was in an accident stigma", doesnt matter what actually happened. if you plan on keeping it awhile then i wouldnt worry about it too much, especially since you cant change it
      02-03-2011, 08:30 PM   #3
DOUT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

The dealer will eventually budge b/c of the bad carfax. Even with CPO that car will have the bad car fax and buyers would not be as inclined to buy it from the dealership.
Do not give in and just wait for the dealer to give you a better deal.
If that does not happen, then it is up to you what to do

Good Luck!

Previous:
2009 335i ZMP
2013 M3 6MT ZCP Space Grey/Fox Red
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 08:41 PM   #4
rocco
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 AW ZSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUT View Post
The dealer will eventually budge b/c of the bad carfax. Even with CPO that car will have the bad car fax and buyers would not be as inclined to buy it from the dealership.
Do not give in and just wait for the dealer to give you a better deal.
If that does not happen, then it is up to you what to do

Good Luck!
Thanks, that's what I'm thinking/hoping. There are a half-dozen dealers around here ... hoping one is going to budge. They all just seem so anxious to get me out of the car. It's 14k miles under the allowance, is fully loaded and is a very nice/rare combination (alpine white w/ saddle brown) ...

It's this or a 135.