Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Michelin PS2 A/S Plus wear issues

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

02-03-2011, 02:34 PM   #1
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i Xdrive

Michelin PS2 A/S Plus wear issues

As the title says, are you guys running this tire having any issues with them? They are great tires but my rears are wearing very funny. The outside of the tires are great but the middle is worn out. Now usually, its a over inflated tire thing but i check my air pressure every week and my alignment gets done every month so it's spot on. The other thing is both left and right rear wheels are showing the same wear so it's not a specific wheel issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 07:07 PM   #2
nbkkvv5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i

The same thing happen to me when I had them on my lexus gs430. I was running them at 38 on all four tires and the center rib wore out on the rear tires while the outside edges looked like new. The front tires (same psi) were fine. Not sure why that happened.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 09:38 PM   #3
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

what pressure are you running, and what diameter wheels? It does sound like the pressure is a bit high, but the other thing that occurs to me is that normally our cars wear the inside edges of the rears first. Is your rear camber set so the tires are straight up and down? That could account for it, as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 12:26 PM   #4
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbkkvv5 View Post
The same thing happen to me when I had them on my lexus gs430. I was running them at 38 on all four tires and the center rib wore out on the rear tires while the outside edges looked like new. The front tires (same psi) were fine. Not sure why that happened.
Thats exactly my issue. The fronts are bang on and the rears are wearing funny.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 12:28 PM   #5
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromisdesigns View Post
what pressure are you running, and what diameter wheels? It does sound like the pressure is a bit high, but the other thing that occurs to me is that normally our cars wear the inside edges of the rears first. Is your rear camber set so the tires are straight up and down? That could account for it, as well.
I'm running the front and rears at 37psi. I could understand if one of the edges wore out faster. That would make sense. The thing with me here is the middle is worn but the outsides are practically new! The center rib is considered worn but the outsides i'm probably 75%.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 02:47 PM   #6
Bamaben
Major
Rep
Drives: 07 335i blk/blk/alum 6MT

I just posted a thread on hear about choosing Pilot A/S Plus over Conti DW and expressed concern about this issue...I have the old Pilot A/S on my e36 328i (second set) and both wore out right down the middle with the factory pressure 29/33.. I have lowered the pressure to 25 all the way around because of this to try to wear out the shoulders on the tire at this point since the middles are at the tread bar. Tirerack told me on the last set I bought at closeout that Michelin had fixed this problem on this tire for most sizes, just not mine.. I bought them anyway because I got them for like $100/piece. So now I'm looking at them on my e90 , well, the A/S Plus hoping they are different, but after reading there that the PS2's have have same problem , I'm not sure they fixed anything.

It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at him-- Jack Handey

mods: blackout grill, finishing rods, badges, Blacklines.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 08:48 PM   #7
nbkkvv5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaben View Post
I just posted a thread on hear about choosing Pilot A/S Plus over Conti DW and expressed concern about this issue...I have the old Pilot A/S on my e36 328i (second set) and both wore out right down the middle with the factory pressure 29/33.. I have lowered the pressure to 25 all the way around because of this to try to wear out the shoulders on the tire at this point since the middles are at the tread bar. Tirerack told me on the last set I bought at closeout that Michelin had fixed this problem on this tire for most sizes, just not mine.. I bought them anyway because I got them for like $100/piece. So now I'm looking at them on my e90 , well, the A/S Plus hoping they are different, but after reading there that the PS2's have have same problem , I'm not sure they fixed anything.
Hmmm... so pilot a/s had a design flaw Well screw them ... if I were in your shoes, I would forget about michelin and go with conti DW or DWS. They have excellent reviews on tire rack
Appreciate 0