BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Younger crowd living in condos..come in

01-09-2011, 11:36 PM   #1
1cleanm6
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M5 comp/Range/i3S

Younger crowd living in condos..come in

Hey guys,

Im really really considering moving out, but it needs to make financial sense. For all you young ones(im 23) that moved out how does it feel? Im sure its awesome and all, but does it ever get boring? I feel like this can be a great oppurtunity to become fully indepedent. I sometimes feel like im too young to have my own place/or even move out when everything is taken care of at home. Being an agent I know the prices are pretty bottomed out and the rates are awesome until hopefully 3rd quarter of this year. Definately a time that wont be coming around again soon, so need to act fast. Do you guys ever feel like you should have waited and bought a house instead? I absolutely love condos and specialize in them.

How much besides the mortgage and hoa fees do you guys spend? I dont really know how to cook much stuff, so would it be safe to put in about 750 a month for food? If someone can break it down it would be great...

thanks

Last edited by 1cleanm6; 01-09-2011 at 11:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 11:44 PM   #2
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

impregnate woman, let her cook
      01-09-2011, 11:53 PM   #3
Vanity
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 LCI

If you're currently living with your parents in a decent-to-large-sized property, you'll really miss the autonomy you have in terms of space. You'll start to feel pretty confined inside a, say, 700 sqft or even 1300sqft condo.

And yeah, it's pretty independent and stuff. But no, I wouldn't say living in a Condo is boring. I'd say Life has it's boring moments and it depends on what you do, really.
      01-10-2011, 12:13 AM   #4
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

I live in a condo, it's a complex of around 20 buildings with around 4 units per. I'm renting, at least for now. It's a lot nicer than living in an apartment. Most everyone here is an owner, so they take care of their homes and are respectful of others. In apartment complexes there are almost always people causing problems. The HOA pays for a high level of landscaping and maintenance, so everything is always well kept.

But yeah, the condo I live in is really boring, and that's what I want. I like coming home to a quiet place and to do my partying elsewhere. I don't like having loud neighbors. There are condos geared toward recent college grad types that are more geared toward partying, but the thing is then you're not going to be able to get away from it.

That said, I'm not sure if I'd want to be a condo owner if I had a choice. HOA fees can be very high. I was looking at one condo (one large building) here in Valencia that I was interested in buying, until I discovered the HOA fees were nearly $600 a month. For $600 a month in a relatively inexpensive place like Valencia I would expect a well equipped gym, a heated pool, maybe a sun deck, someone at a the front desk 24/7, possibly a concierge, etc. But no, this place was just a regular old condo with a small gym and a so-so pool area.

Anyhow, definitely do your homework on fees in order to avoid being ripped off. Same goes for houses, too. A friend of mine bought a 3/2 house nearby for around $350k that has HOA fees of $75 per month. Right down the street is a similar neighborhood with HOA fees of $400. For practically the exact same thing.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 12:19 AM   #5
Mighty M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 Jerez/FR Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
impregnate woman, let her cook
WORST POST I HAVE EVER READ.
      01-10-2011, 12:50 AM   #6
Spoolin335
Justin Herass
Canada
Rep
Drives: X6M / M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2012 Audi TTRS  [10.00]
2012 BMW X6M  [9.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [9.00]
Wait.. so you live with your parents and drive a M3, how do they feel about that?
Do you even pay rent... talk about having it easy.

Im 23 and i say move the fuck out.

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 01:47 AM   #7
1cleanm6
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M5 comp/Range/i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
I live in a condo, it's a complex of around 20 buildings with around 4 units per. I'm renting, at least for now. It's a lot nicer than living in an apartment. Most everyone here is an owner, so they take care of their homes and are respectful of others. In apartment complexes there are almost always people causing problems. The HOA pays for a high level of landscaping and maintenance, so everything is always well kept.

But yeah, the condo I live in is really boring, and that's what I want. I like coming home to a quiet place and to do my partying elsewhere. I don't like having loud neighbors. There are condos geared toward recent college grad types that are more geared toward partying, but the thing is then you're not going to be able to get away from it.

That said, I'm not sure if I'd want to be a condo owner if I had a choice. HOA fees can be very high. I was looking at one condo (one large building) here in Valencia that I was interested in buying, until I discovered the HOA fees were nearly $600 a month. For $600 a month in a relatively inexpensive place like Valencia I would expect a well equipped gym, a heated pool, maybe a sun deck, someone at a the front desk 24/7, possibly a concierge, etc. But no, this place was just a regular old condo with a small gym and a so-so pool area.

Anyhow, definitely do your homework on fees in order to avoid being ripped off. Same goes for houses, too. A friend of mine bought a 3/2 house nearby for around $350k that has HOA fees of $75 per month. Right down the street is a similar neighborhood with HOA fees of $400. For practically the exact same thing.
Oh trust me Hoa makes a huge difference in everything. The condo i really love around here has an HOA of $600 a month, or realistically $100,000 in mortgage extra. Considering its worth 450,000+ $600 a month for HOA, its out of price range. I would much rather buy a house for 550,000. These prices are obviously a little too much to afford right now. Im thinking 250-300k in burbank/glendale. This can realistically get you a 1250-1500sq feet condo which is a short sale or reo. All I know is it better have a safe garage for my baby lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolin335 View Post
Wait.. so you live with your parents and drive a M3, how do they feel about that?

Oh please dont be so quick to judge, I work my ass off with my career, and our family business. So you bet your ass they dont mind i dont pay rent. My m3 and every thing on it, was all paid for by me. They take care of other things. I've always worked for everything i have, ok fine i lied i was a pretty spoiled little kid lol.

Last edited by 1cleanm6; 01-10-2011 at 03:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 01:50 AM   #8
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty M View Post
failedsarcasmcomprehension/10
      01-10-2011, 07:50 AM   #9
NYCGarbagePrince
Major
Rep
Drives: X6 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty M View Post
Relax Mr. Diachok.... It may be the last post you ever read. Now go pull the trigger so you can get to sleep and be on time for work at PNC tomorrow morning.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 08:06 AM   #10
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolin335 View Post

what this guy said....you're 23 and living at home? move the fuck out.

By your post it almost sounds like you're trying to explain yourself as the norm (23 and living at home). I promise you, you're not...
Your preference of what you want to move INTO, is completely up to you. condo, apartment, house. If you're mature enough to fully take care of a house...go for it. But honestly if you're 23 and living at home, you're not 'real world' mature enough.

It's not an insult, there's just a lot more that goes into a house that you don't realize. I lived on my own since I was 17, in apartments, but when I bought a house when I was 24, that was STILL an awakening.

oh but props to you for at least realize you're spoiled though, I'll give you credit for that at least
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 08:13 AM   #11
Comet
Troll Harder
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3, 997 4 GTS, X6M

Garage List
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

23 and still living at home is no big deal IMO
      01-10-2011, 08:17 AM   #12
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comet View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

23 and still living at home is no big deal IMO
hahah It was a little of everything in terms of serious and joking....

It's not a big deal, but it's really not the norm...and certainly not the norm if you aren't strapped for cash. Generally boiling down to 'move out and be your own person...but don't bite off more than you can chew'
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 08:24 AM   #13
Comet
Troll Harder
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3, 997 4 GTS, X6M

Garage List
agreed

but I guess the OP didn't want to move in to a crud appartment and was waiting to afford something he likes before biting off more than he can chew.
Nothing wrong with that..

A lot of people want to move out just to move out and will settle for any rathole
I didn't move out until I found a super nice place to move into :P
      01-10-2011, 08:47 AM   #14
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Gray

I'm 23 and live alone - 200 miles from home.

Do I think living home is bad at 23? Hell no! A ton of my friends still do.

However living alone is the best thing ever, you will learn that quickly.
      01-10-2011, 08:59 AM   #15
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

23 and living at home IMHO is decently bad enough. Living at home and driving an m3 is even worse. I haven't lived at home since I was 18 (23 now). It seems like you could afford to move out.

I suggest renting before buying. Apparently some people cant survive without mommy and daddy. Living on your own isn't the easiest thing in the world to get into. You need to start cooking and cleaning. Learning to cook is a bitch.

Move out.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 09:37 AM   #16
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

No need to rush. All those who were kicked out of their homes when they were 18 are just jealous If you can stay at home until you get a (career) job after college, that's your safest bet assuming that's your plan.

Buy a house when you get married or start a family. It seems like it would be lonely otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 02:14 PM   #17
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep

You live at home driving a 70k car, with 8k wheels, 10k in other mods. Come on man, you could put a NICE down payment on a condo just with the mods you have spent money on.

You're parents should of kicked you out years ago, letting their son live rent free and drive 100k worth of car is ridiculous.
      01-10-2011, 02:20 PM   #18
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1cleanm3 View Post
Oh trust me Hoa makes a huge difference in everything. The condo i really love around here has an HOA of $600 a month, or realistically $100,000 in mortgage extra. Considering its worth 450,000+ $600 a month for HOA, its out of price range. I would much rather buy a house for 550,000. These prices are obviously a little too much to afford right now. Im thinking 250-300k in burbank/glendale. This can realistically get you a 1250-1500sq feet condo which is a short sale or reo. All I know is it better have a safe garage for my baby lol.

Oh please dont be so quick to judge, I work my ass off with my career, and our family business. So you bet your ass they dont mind i pay rent. My m3 and every thing on it, was all paid for by me. They take care of other things. I've always worked for everything i have, ok fine i lied i was a pretty spoiled little kid lol.

Quote:
You live at home driving a 70k car, with 8k wheels, 10k in other mods. Come on man, you could put a NICE down payment on a condo just with the mods you have spent money on.

You're parents should of kicked you out years ago, letting their son live rent free and drive 100k worth of car is ridiculous.
see bold. said he does?
      01-10-2011, 02:22 PM   #19
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:

C'mon Collin, reading fail and math fail in the same post?

You can do better than that.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 02:25 PM   #20
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick6EF View Post
see bold. said he does?
Didnt see his second post, still ridiculous...once you are done with school, or working full time/started career no one should live at home, period.

Only excuse to me from 18-24ish is in school, if not get your own place.

So glad my mom taught me the things I needed to know to be independent, I can cook, clean, do my own laundry, pay bills, etc...
      01-10-2011, 02:27 PM   #21
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post

C'mon Collin, reading fail and math fail in the same post?

You can do better than that.
I was guestimating total expenses he's paid for that car, and didnt see the post about paying rent. That what everyone says that lives at home to justify them doing it, and their parents are his roommates too.
      01-10-2011, 02:46 PM   #22
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

Quote:
Didnt see his second post, still ridiculous...once you are done with school, or working full time/started career no one should live at home, period.

Only excuse to me from 18-24ish is in school, if not get your own place.

So glad my mom taught me the things I needed to know to be independent, I can cook, clean, do my own laundry, pay bills, etc...
GET BACK IN THE KITCHEN!
Appreciate 0