E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Method of Vehicle Acquisition

01-09-2011, 11:00 PM   #1
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Signature

Method of Vehicle Acquisition

This is more of a stream of consciousness rambling as I'm considering various options, so please bear with me

I'll probably be in the market for a new car in a couple of months, so I've been doing a lot of research. I wanted to get a slightly used 335i, maybe an 08 or 09. My requirements are: <35K/25K miles for 08/09, 6MT, AW/SG exterior with CR interior, Premium and Sport Package. Heated seats and Logic 7 are preferred but not required. Unfortunately, such a combination is rare enough that only 1-2 car meet my criteria at any one time, and I've been checking online listings from multiple sources daily for the last 6 months. I fear when the time comes, I may not be able to find the exact one that I want. So that got me thinking about alternative means of acquisition.

Option 1: Buy 08/09 335i
Cost: $33-38K (including extended warranty. I want to have warranty for at least 3-4 yrs). Monthly payment $500-$550/mo.
Pros: Cheapest option. Someone else paid for the years when depreciation is the highest.
Cons: Quality may vary. Possible hidden problems. Max "warrantiable" period limited. Hard to find cars that exactly matches requirement. Free maintenance for only 1-2 yrs.

Option 2: Buy 2011 335i
Cost: $50K. Monthly payment $700/mo ($8K down)
Pros: Max "warrantiable" period (7 yrs w/ extended warranty). Free maintenance for 4 years. New car smell. Getting exactly what I want.
Cons: Most expensive option. High depreciation in the first 3 years. High up-front cost.

Option 3: Lease 2011 335i
Cost: Monthly payment ~$600/mo (assuming 3% over MSRP, current incentive, 0.00155 MF, 60% RV)
Pros: If I don't want to keep it long term, can just let it go after 3 yrs. Have the option to purchase it at lease end if I like it a lot. Max "warrantiable" period (7 yrs w/ extended warranty) if purchased at end of lease. Free maintenance for 3 years (4 if purchased). New car smell. Getting exactly what I want. Lower upfront cost vs purchasing new.
Cons: Most expensive option (if purchased). If purchased at the end of lease, total can be slightly more than just purchasing new, although this is mostly mitigated with a good enough deal and modest (5%) return on monthly savings + $8K saved down payment), in which case it comes out to about even compared to purchasing outright (according my calculations).

Option 4: Buy a 2011 135i
Cost: $42K. ~600/mo
Pro: Same thrills as a 335i. New car smell. Getting exactly what I want (color and option wise). Cheaper than buying a new 335i. Max "warrantiable" period.
Con: It's not a 335i. I like the front and back of the 135i, but I just can't get into the droopy rocker panels on the sides. It looks like a pregnant cat with a big belly. Maybe it's something I'll grow to love given enough time?

Anyways, I know I didn't pose a question or anything. I'm just kind of thinking out aloud here. Thoughts and comments?

Last edited by InsanePineapple; 01-09-2011 at 11:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 11:20 PM   #2
Ryan T.
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 F82 M4 ZCP

Out of your options, I think you'll like 2-4 the best for about the first 3 weeks you own the car, and option 1 for the rest of the time, knowing you didn't take a $15-20k hit in depreciation by buying new or leasing and then buying your car.

An 08/09 with CPO would have 3-4 years of warranty and maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 11:31 PM   #3
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan T. View Post
Out of your options, I think you'll like 2-4 the best for about the first 3 weeks you own the car, and option 1 for the rest of the time, knowing you didn't take a $15-20k hit in depreciation by buying new or leasing and then buying your car.

An 08/09 with CPO would have 3-4 years of warranty and maintenance.
Yeah I agree with you. It's just frustrating that the combination I want is so rare in used 335i's!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 12:00 AM   #4
gos
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi

I wouldn't base any buying decision off the availability of "free" maintenance. The net for me was 3 free oil changes, 1 free brake fluid change, an air filter, and a set of wipers. Only $450 or so, even at dealership prices.

Also, I wouldn't lease with a "plan" to buy. If you want to lease, just lease, and re-run all the numbers in 2.5 years to see what it's worth. I'm guessing we're due for a lot more vehicle depreciation as BMW maintenance issue volumes go up and the world moves to more fuel efficient vehicles.
      01-10-2011, 12:12 AM   #5
Ajs76
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 99 M3, 2008 335i

If you have the time, option 1 is probably the most economical and you really are willing to commit to holding the car for the later years of its life (where it's depreciation is the lowest)

You can buy an extended warranty that will last 5 years if you buy it pre 45k miles usually. So, you can probably work the system and get 5-6 years of warranty out of an 08 even (which is what I am going to do when my car nears 45k).

This only works if you are really willing to wait to find that red interior and you're willing to go almost anywhere in the US to get it. On the plus side, I think most of the market does NOT want a red interior other than guys on this forum, so should one come up, I bet you can bargain.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 12:27 AM   #6
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gos View Post
I wouldn't base any buying decision off the availability of "free" maintenance. The net for me was 3 free oil changes, 1 free brake fluid change, an air filter, and a set of wipers. Only $450 or so, even at dealership prices.

Also, I wouldn't lease with a "plan" to buy. If you want to lease, just lease, and re-run all the numbers in 2.5 years to see what it's worth. I'm guessing we're due for a lot more vehicle depreciation as BMW maintenance issue volumes go up and the world moves to more fuel efficient vehicles.
I agree, free maintenance is a fringe benefit, albeit a nice one I have never owned a BMW before, so my experience with their reliability is just what I've read. Seems like a real crap shoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajs76 View Post
If you have the time, option 1 is probably the most economical and you really are willing to commit to holding the car for the later years of its life (where it's depreciation is the lowest)

You can buy an extended warranty that will last 5 years if you buy it pre 45k miles usually. So, you can probably work the system and get 5-6 years of warranty out of an 08 even (which is what I am going to do when my car nears 45k).

This only works if you are really willing to wait to find that red interior and you're willing to go almost anywhere in the US to get it. On the plus side, I think most of the market does NOT want a red interior other than guys on this forum, so should one come up, I bet you can bargain.
I've only seen extended warranty that goes to 7 yr/100K. If the car is 08, then 3 yrs has already passed. Doesn't that mean you can only get a max of 4 more yrs of warranty?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 12:28 AM   #7
rolling18
I AM the 12th. Emom
Rep
Drives: 07 335i SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by morfinx View Post
Yeah I agree with you. It's just frustrating that the combination I want is so rare in used 335i's!
you could get mine for 32K it meets all your requirements PLUS LSD... EXCEPT the 08'

01-10-2011, 12:31 AM   #8
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolling18 View Post
you could get mine for 32K it meets all your requirements PLUS LSD... EXCEPT the 08
Beautiful car, but I'm looking for something with at least 1 yr of factory warranty left GLWS!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 12:33 AM   #9
rolling18
I AM the 12th. Emom
Rep
Drives: 07 335i SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by morfinx View Post
Beautiful car, but I'm looking for something with at least 1 yr of factory warranty left GLWS!
thankyou Ahh yes, I understand.. Mine is only CPO 7yr/ 100k

Last edited by rolling18; 01-10-2011 at 12:47 AM..
Appreciate 0