E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 325i Test Drive in Heavy Rain and Deep Puddles

05-06-2005, 01:54 PM   #1
BrettInLJ
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i M-Sport

325i Test Drive in Heavy Rain and Deep Puddles

I want over to Century West BMW down the street from my work yesterday and got to test drive a 325i AT. A rain shower came in minutes before I got there, and the streets in the neighborhood always flood whenever it rains. This vehicle had the premium package, but no sport package.

The first thing I noticed is that the suspension was much more firm and sporty than I thought a non SP 325i would be. The extra power over the E46 was also apparent. The coolest thing, though, was how it handled in the rain, even in areas where water a couple inches deep was flowing across the road. I was pretty aggresive in cornering considering the rain, but the only time traction control kicked in was during a straight line acceleration. I could tell that I was not even approaching the limits. Everything just felt right, even the size of the steering wheel. I cannot wait to drive a 6-speed 330i with the SP!

I also took a look at the inventory they had upstairs on the roof (dealers in LA tend to be set up parking garage style). The one car that caught my eye was an Arctic Silver with the 18" wheels that come with the SP. I had to sit there with my friend and the salesman seeing in for the first time (they came in that day) and just look at it. The color in the overcast was beautiful, not "gray-green" like some have described and not a chick-car color (no offense). The shapes of the body played the hues and shadows like a choreographed symphony of color... it was really cool. Of all the color choices there, it is my favorite. The SP wheels also make the car look much better.

My overall impression is that they got it right this time. I'm in love.

P.S. I also got to see a new color for the 6-series that is a cross between sparkling graphite and silver gray. Looked really good outside in overcast as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2005, 02:01 PM   #2
ogrady
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 09 335

I haven't test driven one yet and I know this is an E90 enthusiasts board, but I just gotta say after reading every review on this forum that I have no doubt this car rocks :rocks: In the dry and now we know how it handles in the wet.

Brett, thanks for sharing with us... did you happen to see what tires were on it? Wonder if they were good wet performance tires to begin with.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2005, 02:32 PM   #3
BrettInLJ
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogrady
I haven't test driven one yet and I know this is an E90 enthusiasts board, but I just gotta say after reading every review on this forum that I have no doubt this car rocks :rocks: In the dry and now we know how it handles in the wet.

Brett, thanks for sharing with us... did you happen to see what tires were on it? Wonder if they were good wet performance tires to begin with.
I didn't look on the 325i. It had the stock 16's since there was no SP. I know the 330i had Potenzas. Do dealer's put different tires on stock wheels?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2005, 02:49 PM   #4
spikes111
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Very good to hear about how well the car performed int he rain. Maybe it performed so well because of the brakes automatically/periodically clearing water from the brake rotors
      05-06-2005, 02:51 PM   #5
BrettInLJ
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikes111
Very good to hear about how well the car performed int he rain. Maybe it performed so well because of the brakes automatically/periodically clearing water from the brake rotors
I never had to do any quick stops... what I notice more than anything is how hard I could corner it without the traction control kicking in.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2005, 02:53 PM   #6
spikes111
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Ah i see, looks like BMW got traction control right then in terms of balancing between when to cut in or not. Aren't you in LA? what's it doing raining out there anyway