E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > answer has been found as to why the battery can explode if not registered..

01-07-2011, 08:24 AM   #1
401FlaGATOR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 325i ZSP, F30 320i ZSP

answer has been found as to why the battery can explode if not registered..

"Most flooded batteries should be charged at no more than the "C/8" rate for any sustained period. "C/8" is the battery capacity at the 20-hour rate divided by 8. For a 220 AH battery, this would equal 26 Amps. Gelled cells should be charged at no more than the C/20 rate, or 5% of their amp-hour capacity. Some AGM batteries are a special case - they can be charged at up the the Cx4 rate, or 400% of the capacity for the bulk charge cycle. However, since very few battery cables can take that much current, we don't recommend you try this at home. To avoid cable overheating, you should stick to C/4 or less"
BMW obviously designed their battery system as this type of AGM to take advantage of this feature, which is great because you can charge the AGM battery much faster if you feed it 400% of the normal charging current for a non-AGM battery..

Since the original battery was not registered, the charging system thought it had the AGM in there and went at it with the 4 times the charge current that the AGM could sustain.. The end result BOOM!

That's why you need to register the battery, so that if it is not AGM is uses the C/8 rate..

It probably tried pushing through 40 amps or more to quickly bulk charge the battery and the result were the burned wires and explosion due to the build up of internal resistance in the battery as it sulfated and burned up..

There's your answer in a nutshell.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 08:34 AM   #2
arctic330i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35i

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i E90  [8.08]
2013 BMW 335is  [10.00]
Thank you for saving me reading through all those pages in that thread
      01-07-2011, 08:34 AM   #3
Express
Major General
Israel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.30]
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic330i View Post
Thank you for saving me reading through all those pages in that thread
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 08:44 AM   #4
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Not really...the agm charging program limits the voltage of my agm to 13.82v compared to 14.7v for a traditional lead acid, non-agm.

Non-m's come standard with lead acid non-agm batteries. Only m3s come from the factory with agm batteries.

The dealer can program the car to retrofit an agm so unless the ops car was previous programmed to charge an agm, you are wrong.

EDIT: Also the battery didn't explode. The positive safety terminal did. EVERYONE NEEDS TO GET THIS STRAIGHT.

Also I doubt the battery would explode from overcharging, leak yes......not explode. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by fdriller9; 01-07-2011 at 08:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 08:51 AM   #5
rhodesman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E88 135i

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 401FlaGATOR View Post
Since the original battery was not registered, the charging system thought it had the AGM in there and went at it with the 4 times the charge current that the AGM could sustain.. The end result BOOM!
I'm getting too old for this shit! Next thing you'll tell me if I upgrade my software it'll fix the fuel pump problem... ooh wait...

Mods: JB4, Trebila Custom tune, FBO, Fuel-It Stg2 LPFP, Berk Street Performance w/ Berk Resonated Midpipes, & lots of little body/OEM+ mods
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 09:26 AM   #6
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Has a battery exploded due to not being registered/coded?

Not read any evidence of that any where. One incident, a component, 'possibly' doing its job to protect the electrical system, as far as I have been reading.

Technical reading indicates fitting a battery of the wrong capacity or type can lead to auxilary systems being switched off, when they shouldn't be, and warning lights and fault codes being set.

When fitting a new battery using an appropriate diagnostic tool to clear fault codes and invoke a "Register Battery Renewal" will prevent unwanted side effects. Same for upgrading a battery and/or adding retrofit electrical equipment such as heated seats. That's done using a "Battery Retrofit" program.

There is no suggestion of an exploding battery.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 09:29 AM   #7
techlogik
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i Dravit Grey

Quality. Who knew batteries had to be so complicated. Part of BMWs problem.
      01-07-2011, 09:36 AM   #8
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by techlogik View Post
Quality. Who knew batteries had to be so complicated. Part of BMWs problem.
Quality? And the batteries are NOT complicated.....it's BMW's electrical system. That's not a problem. That's you being not willing to accept upcoming standards.

Are Honda's electrical systems less complicated? I think not.....look at their hybrids. Many people wouldn't know what to do with their batteries including me.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 09:41 AM   #9
galahad05
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '07 335i e90

Modern car trends. Realistically, less and less on a modern car is user-serviceable.
      01-07-2011, 10:07 AM   #10
Turkeybaster115
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335I

Quote:
Originally Posted by 401FlaGATOR View Post
"Most flooded batteries should be charged at no more than the "C/8" rate for any sustained period. "C/8" is the battery capacity at the 20-hour rate divided by 8. For a 220 AH battery, this would equal 26 Amps. Gelled cells should be charged at no more than the C/20 rate, or 5% of their amp-hour capacity. Some AGM batteries are a special case - they can be charged at up the the Cx4 rate, or 400% of the capacity for the bulk charge cycle. However, since very few battery cables can take that much current, we don't recommend you try this at home. To avoid cable overheating, you should stick to C/4 or less"
BMW obviously designed their battery system as this type of AGM to take advantage of this feature, which is great because you can charge the AGM battery much faster if you feed it 400% of the normal charging current for a non-AGM battery..

That's why you need to register the battery, so that if it is not AGM is uses the C/8 rate..

It probably tried pushing through 40 amps or more to quickly bulk charge the battery and the result were the burned wires and explosion due to the build up of internal resistance in the battery as it sulfated and burned up..

There's your answer in a nutshell.
I've got my autozone battery in my car, going strong for over a year, no explosion! thanks for trying to get me to over pay again, at the stealership.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 10:10 AM   #11
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 View Post
I've got my autozone battery in my car, going strong for over a year, no explosion! thanks for trying to get me to over pay again, at the stealership.
You replaced with same spec obviously....so you're fine. Registration would allow your battery to theoretically last longer depending on the condition of the battery you replaced.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 10:17 AM   #12
Kikken
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: his wife crazy.

So the battery didn't explode, but after reading through this thread and the other one my head did.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 10:46 AM   #13
IN54NITY
Major nutz
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 n54 e92xi, 6mt, kw v3

Garage List
2009 335xi  [8.89]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
Quality? And the batteries are NOT complicated.....it's BMW's electrical system. That's not a problem. That's you being not willing to accept upcoming standards.

Are Honda's electrical systems less complicated? I think not.....look at their hybrids. Many people wouldn't know what to do with their batteries including me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by galahad05 View Post
Modern car trends. Realistically, less and less on a modern car is user-serviceable.
I think you're both absolutely right. Off-topic, but some of the voltages and corresponding current you get with these hybrids can kill you. I wouldn't touch the internals with a carbon fiber 10 foot pole.
      01-07-2011, 12:11 PM   #14
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Also I doubt the battery would explode from overcharging, leak yes......not explode. Correct me if I'm wrong.
If overcharged it can exploded, the battery starts to bubble and creates gasses which pressurizes the battery. They have vents but sometimes those vents fail. I've seen lead-acid batteries that have blown up first hand.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 12:16 PM   #15
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikken View Post
So the battery didn't explode, but after reading through this thread and the other one my head did.

Exactly. I think people are still too eager to scream the battery exploded with the fact is:

THE BATTERY DID NOT EXPLODE.

the fuseable link on the cable popped. WHY the link discharged is still unknown, it does not appear to be a charging issue. I'm not saying you shouldn't register your battery, mind you, only that in this case, the battery did not explode, yet everyone thinks it did.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 12:27 PM   #16
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post
Exactly. I think people are still too eager to scream the battery exploded with the fact is:

the fuseable link on the cable popped. WHY the link discharged is still unknown, it does not appear to be a charging issue. I'm not saying you shouldn't register your battery, mind you, only that in this case, the battery did not explode, yet everyone thinks it did.
To be honest.....I don't think registration is THAT important in regards to safety. In regards to longevity and proper functionality of the modules in our car, registration is necessary.

In regards to safety, PROGRAMMING is absolutely NECESSARY!!!....given the right scenario.

I explain it here:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=473109
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 12:47 PM   #17
F104
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: E92 320D M-sport

Quote:
Not really...the agm charging program limits the voltage of my agm to 13.82v compared to 14.7v for a traditional lead acid, non-agm.

Non-m's come standard with lead acid non-agm batteries. Only m3s come from the factory with agm batteries.

The dealer can program the car to retrofit an agm so unless the ops car was previous programmed to charge an agm, you are wrong.

EDIT: Also the battery didn't explode. The positive safety terminal did. EVERYONE NEEDS TO GET THIS STRAIGHT.

we might be talking different versions for different regions. My 320d does have a 90 amp-hr AGM because i do have ED. Now if you don't have ED, the battety registration etc is a whole different discussion in my view.

How did you measure charging current? one-of measurement or BT log? If you have ED it should be doing the below. My car did initially, but packed up just when i received the BT. Now it's charging at nearly constant 14.6V.
Note it does charge as any conventional system from the moment the engine runs. That the bit on the far right, the shading is just not clear.

edit - the coventional charging is on the far left... and SOC is state of charge..
Attached Images

Last edited by F104; 01-07-2011 at 01:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 03:59 PM   #18
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post

The failure involves the assembly on the positive terminal, illustrated from my wagon.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0