E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Ramblings of an E46 owner (aka, anyone else been here?)

01-06-2011, 11:17 PM   #1
atorial
Registered
Rep
Drives: 325i

Ramblings of an E46 owner (aka, anyone else been here?)

Hey everyone. I've got a E46 325i I bought new with the sports package, manual trans, and a few other goodies. I've had a blast with the car but alas it is getting really quite old, and it's time to replace it. I'm looking at getting a 2008ish CPO 328 of some description.

For reasons of selection (used manuals are rare), and the fact I just basically drive to work and back now days through not-terrible but increasingly congested roads, I'm leaning towards getting an automatic. The thing I think I really might miss is the sports seats. Cars with a sport package around here seem to be otherwise nearly completely stripped. Is this a Boston area thing? (Also, almost everything available used here has xDrive.)

So, I guess my questions are twofold. 1) any ex-E46 owners do a similar thing (particularly go from RWD ZSP to xdrive) and 2) any opinions on 328i non-ZSP suspension vs. 328xi in terms of handling? I've been driving RWD in the Boston area for years and I have no problem continuing to do that if I decide it's the best option.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 11:35 PM   #2
Legion5
Major
Rep
Drives: e92

The sports package is hellish when driving in cities with potholes but it's a dream on smooth roads. Be very careful about getting the sports package. The sports package is more than worth it though for the added sporty feel. I searched up and down for mine but only because I live in an area with nice roads. Stripper cars suck though because BMW has some very cool options. You'll espetially love the heated seats and steering wheel. Comfort access is also cool because it's push button start anyway. The automatics in these cars are also some of the most amazing out there. You won't regret it. Up north the xi is worth it though and it doesn't take away much from the dynamics of the car.

I would recommend buying this car, assuming you'll be driving on bad roads (It's the only certified 2008+ 328i in your area with all the options except for sport).

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national

Clean cars are happy cars!
CANON PHOTOGRAPHER
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 01:24 AM   #3
Jgcdude1
the bees knees!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i E93

Garage List
2003 E46 325Ci  [0.00]
2008 E92 328i  [0.00]
2011 E93 335i  [0.00]
I still remember my 03 E46 325Ci, I can say it felt different to drive that car. I do miss the feeling of driving it, totally different feel from my E9er!

Anyway I'm rambling, good luck with your purchase bro!

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 06:14 AM   #4
Outlaw 06
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i (daily driver)

I understand your dilemma OP.

I special-ordered my old TiAg E46 323i Sedan in March 2000 with ZSP, black heated power leather seats, no moonroof, and no other options (5MT and RWD standard). The car wasn’t fast, but it was relatively quick for a car with a 2.5L, 170hp engine. It also handled great with no understeer. It was a blast to drive too.

I currently own two RWD 3-Series BMWs with sport-tuned suspensions and 6MTs (see sig). Both cars are really fun to drive. That said, I’ve driven a coworker’s E46 325xi Sedan with xDrive, 5MT and ZSP, and test drove an E90 335xi with xDrive, 6AT and ZSP. I was disappointed with the handling characteristics of both vehicles. Don’t be misled by the ZSP offered on xDrive vehicles because the option is purely cosmetic and doesn’t include a sport-tuned suspension.

IMO, BMW 3-Series cars without a sport-tuned suspension, MT or RWD are pretty much soulless. Since you’re still having a “blast” in your current E46, I suspect that you’ll be disappointed in any BMW 3-Series car without RWD, ZSP and 6MT too.

Based on my most recent search for a used 3-Series Sedan, I'd estimate that less than 5% of the CPO E90s (in the northeast) have 6MT, ZSP and RWD (no xDrive). Even fewer of these cars have no iDrive, which I didn't want either. Unfortunately for BMW enthusiasts, the northeast is completely inundated with (leased) 3-Series poseur-mobiles. In order to find the right used BMW, you definitely need to be patient and willing to travel. Do a CPO search on BMWNA’s website and check the “manual transmission” and “rear wheel drive” boxes. Expand your search radius outward until you find what you’re looking for. I finally bought my 335i at a dealership nearly 200 miles away in Philadelphia, PA.

Whatever you do, make sure you test drive any xDrive, AT car several times before considering settling for one. I suspect you’ll regret the decision if you end up buying one.

Good luck in your search!
      01-07-2011, 07:23 AM   #5
bbbradley
Resident Alien
Rep
Drives: A4 for now, Miata for fun!

I yest drove a base version 1-series a month or two back, it felt like a Camry. The base suspension is very soft, downright wallowy IMO. The chassis dynamics BMW is known for are muted with the base suspension, I would search and find a ZSP model.

I know what you mean about the used market in this area, a typical search yields 90% AWD and 90% slushboxes. A slushbox/AWD BMW is like a FWD Audi - why bother?

Edit - TJDiCandido summed it up pretty well.
Quote:
the northeast is completely inundated with (leased) 3-Series poseur-mobiles
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 07:44 AM   #6
atorial
Registered
Rep

I think on this round I might be able to accept an automatic transmission (I've always preferred manuals, but I don't despise ATs with the fervor of others on this board.) The handling dynamics are a lot more important to me, and the xDrive I briefly test drove did surprise me with how much body roll there was. I'm sure I'd get used to it, but it gave me pause. I need to try a 328i without sport package and see how it drives, since I see a few of them around.

The 335i all have sport suspension, right? I'm not sure I'm willing to take on the added maintenance, but I'll think about it...
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 07:48 AM   #7
TheRox
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 6mt

xi suspension is stiffer than the standard suspension but not as stiff as the sports suepnsion

it is an excellent compromise.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 08:35 AM   #8
GreenThree
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by atorial View Post
Hey everyone. I've got a E46 325i I bought new with the sports package, manual trans, and a few other goodies. I've had a blast with the car but alas it is getting really quite old, and it's time to replace it. I'm looking at getting a 2008ish CPO 328 of some description.

For reasons of selection (used manuals are rare), and the fact I just basically drive to work and back now days through not-terrible but increasingly congested roads, I'm leaning towards getting an automatic. The thing I think I really might miss is the sports seats. Cars with a sport package around here seem to be otherwise nearly completely stripped. Is this a Boston area thing? (Also, almost everything available used here has xDrive.)

So, I guess my questions are twofold. 1) any ex-E46 owners do a similar thing (particularly go from RWD ZSP to xdrive) and 2) any opinions on 328i non-ZSP suspension vs. 328xi in terms of handling? I've been driving RWD in the Boston area for years and I have no problem continuing to do that if I decide it's the best option.
I am going the opposite direction. From AT to 6MT. By the way, if you are looking for a CPO 2008 328xi in Boston, I just turned mine in! Pretty sure the ZSP does not affect the suspension with xi. Xi paid for itself in the first winter IMO. A must around here, especially if you live / work in hilly area or like to head up to ski country. Manuals and ZSP are very rare around here. I know because I just looked when shopping for my car. Its simply because most folks are not enthusiasts like us.

My loaner right now is a 128i non ZSP. Comparing the ride and handling to my 328xi: It corners very well. Slightly better than the 3, but that may be due to the lighter weight and RWD. RWD is obviously a different feel than AWD. But the xi is worth it.

Some things to consider: You will miss the sport seats. These are the best part of the ZSP in the xi. Dont skimp on that. You may want to do a little research on 07 and 08 AT's around the forums. Some members say the AT has been smooth, while others say the AT is terribly jerky. Good luck - keep us posted!

2015 335xi | Mineral Grey Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | NAV | SportLine | ZPP | ZDA | ZCW | Munich Build

Retired: 2008, 2011, 2013 328xi
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 08:42 AM   #9
Clarence Watson
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDiCandido View Post
IMO, BMW 3-Series cars without a sport-tuned suspension, MT or RWD are pretty much soulless. Since you’re still having a “blast” in your current E46, I suspect that you’ll be disappointed in any BMW 3-Series car without RWD, ZSP and 6MT too.
+1, based on your experience with the E46.

And although xDrive is great for some, I can relate to your willingness to keep RWD in spite of the northeastern weather. We get plenty of snow in northern Indiana, and I'm comfortable with RWD after 10 years of experience with RWD in the snow. I prefer the balance and handling dynamics of RWD over xDrive, but each has his own opinion. Make the RWD/xi choice based on your own experience and driving confidence, not someone else's opinion.

In addition to searching BMWNA site for CPOs, there are a lot of hits on Autotrader. TJDiCandido is right, though. You'll need to be willing to travel (or trust a distant dealership based on pictures and inspection).
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 08:48 AM   #10
Clarence Watson
Private
United_States
Rep

OP, did you specify whether you're looking for sedan or coupe? I'm pretty sure that all coupes have the equivalent of sport suspension, ZSP or not.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 09:36 AM   #11
atorial
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarence Watson View Post
OP, did you specify whether you're looking for sedan or coupe? I'm pretty sure that all coupes have the equivalent of sport suspension, ZSP or not.
Need the sedan. Car seats in a coupe are just not an option. (My E46 is a sedan as well.)
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 09:37 AM   #12
atorial
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post

no offense meant, but that is an awful price/deal.

I paid 200 more dollars for an 09 335 with less miles. (not xi though)

you can do wayyyy better op.

I have no opinion on the 328 since I haven't driven one.
Was your car CPO or not?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 01:21 PM   #13
Clarence Watson
Private
United_States
Rep

FWIW, I did two Autotrader searches to find out about pricing. One for 335i, one for 328i. I used no criteria with respect to options or mileage.

Search 1:
Car Type: Certified Cars
Make/Model: BMW 335i
Year Range: 2008
Seller Type: All Sellers
Specs: 2 Wheel Drive, Four Door

Highest Price: $38,995
Lowest Price: $24,984
Average Price: $31,206
Search 2:
Car Type: Certified Cars
Make/Model: BMW 328i
Year Range: 2008
Seller Type: All Sellers
Specs: 2 Wheel Drive, Four Door

Highest Price: $$41,995
Lowest Price: $18,292
Average Price: $26,779

That should give you a basic idea as to asking prices (not necessarily sales prices), but not specific to your geography.
Appreciate 0